Richmond v Brisbane 3-9-23 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond v Brisbane 3-9-23

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
We try hard but have quite a few spuds on our list i fear. Reid might be the new Molan.

Great win, but I hope Conti is okay.

On paper we are as good as anyone this season.

But we can't afford to play it without the best in the game.

Watched the scores update on my phone, looked away for the last 20 minutes and we had won.

Sounds like a good effort, Brisbane were good last season so this bodes well for the season.

Anyone who watched this want to post a short description, looked like a see-sawing game.

I always like it when a team can come from behind late in a game, shows a maturity and is a very good sign.

DS

really enjoyable game, scoring went with the wind 9-2

We kicked 2 with it in the last when commentary was that it had dropped off somewhat

Our skill level was a bit below BL i thought but our girls are tough & determined.

Some astute recruiting in the off season

Reactions: 1 users
Watched the scores update on my phone, looked away for the last 20 minutes and we had won.

Sounds like a good effort, Brisbane were good last season so this bodes well for the season.

Anyone who watched this want to post a short description, looked like a see-sawing game.

I always like it when a team can come from behind late in a game, shows a maturity and is a very good sign.

DS
I watched it all on fox and my short observations were:
  • Wind was a big factor - Brisbane kicked with it in Q1, Q3 but comms said it weakened a bit when we had it in the last quarter
  • Some of our girls look much fitter this year than previous - may have been a mirage on the screen but I thought KB, Grace Egan, Mon, Hosking and McKenzie all looked leaner.
  • Wasn't surprised that we ran last quarter out well - we are fitter.
  • KB seemed injury free and moved much better than last year when she was both hurt and out of condition.
  • We got hurt a bit on the transition early on - didn't think our backs were close enough early in the game but better in the 2nd half.
  • Stella Reid has improved this year - imposed herself on some contests.
  • Like the prospect of a mobile KB at CHF and Greisner at full forward - assuming she can clunk a mark (didn't see much evidence of that yesterday tho)
  • We won it on endeavour more than system - in the second half we hunted and pressured the ball very well
  • Mon Conti still both our best extractor and outside runner. Grace Egan was very good in first half, faded in 2nd.
  • Beth Lynch was ferocious and looks a better player than last year.

Thanks for the comments.

That the goal kicking advantage to 1 end was so pronounced is something you just don't get from highlights or the like.

Interesting comment about our defence BetterTigers, the thing I noticed last season was that we had a very tight defence. It did drop off a bit as the season wore on, but it was a massive improvement on 2 seasons ago. We needed to work on other aspects but we can't let the defence drop off, it is a strength.

Good to hear we were able to run out the game better, this is always a factor and a huge advantage if we can keep doing it.

DS

Two of Brisbane’s main scoring opportunities in the last quarter were a 50m for standing over the ball and a 50m after the Brisbane player marked a bump ball and then got bumped. The first one was no different to other scenarios where the Brisbane player didn’t return the ball after a free against and happens all the time and is never paid (except when it is). The second was just an error. No mark and no 50 as the bump happened as the ‘mark’ was taken or very close to it and wasn’t high or excessive etc - was part of the play.

Other seasons that would have ended us so good grit to fight it out.

Reactions: 1 user
Two of Brisbane’s main scoring opportunities in the last quarter were a 50m for standing over the ball and a 50m after the Brisbane player marked a bump ball and then got bumped. The first one was no different to other scenarios where the Brisbane player didn’t return the ball after a free against and happens all the time and is never paid (except when it is). The second was just an error. No mark and no 50 as the bump happened as the ‘mark’ was taken or very close to it and wasn’t high or excessive etc - was part of the play.

Other seasons that would have ended us so good grit to fight it out.

Not only on the 2nd, there was a very late whistle to pay the mark, the bump probably would have been late, but due to the late whistle it wasn't. It was a passage of horrible umpiring that would have been awful had it decided the game.

Reactions: 1 user