AFLW Moneypit | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW Moneypit

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
So I’ll start by saying that it’s fantastic so many girls are playing/enjoying footy now. No doubt participation will continue to grow and standard will get better. But…..

It’s an absolute joke the money that is being poured into a spectacle that will never rate highly nor be attended in big numbers. Clubs and the AFL are going to go broke to keep the ‘Woke’ dream alive. Fancy giving them the same prize money when they run at a deficit. Do you how many people watched the first game on TV on Friday night in Victoria? A game that was super hyped, on the back of Matilda’s glory, with no AFL on ?
99,000 people. The gardening show beat it. Horrific figures, but no let’s keep saying they deserve more money. FFS

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Gotcha. AFLW is "Woke".

Are the Matildas woke? Or our Women's Cricket team?

Or is the woke label removed once a team is successful and strongly supported?

Reactions: 2 users
Gotcha. AFLW is "Woke".

Are the Matildas woke? Or our Women's Cricket team?

Or is the woke label removed once a team is successful and strongly supported?
There is not one women’s sport that is highly viewed or supported or generates huge revenue in Australia. Matilda’s was a once off event. How many people watched women’s soccer on TV this week?

Woke, reverse sexism, favouritism or political madness gone mad, call it what you bloody want.

There is not one women’s sport that is highly viewed or supported or generates huge revenue in Australia. Matilda’s was a once off event. How many people watched women’s soccer on TV this week?

Woke, reverse sexism, favouritism or political madness gone mad, call it what you bloody want.
We can disagree. I am a big fan of women's beach volleyball. Watch most Matlida games when they are on, same with our women's national cricket team. Follow Chelsea women's team results with Kerr there. Watch as many womens as mens matches in the tennis.

But I know you love catchy slogans. I've got a good one for you on this topic. "No Blokes? Go Broke!"

• Haha
So I’ll start by saying that it’s fantastic so many girls are playing/enjoying footy now. No doubt participation will continue to grow and standard will get better. But…..

It’s an absolute joke the money that is being poured into a spectacle that will never rate highly nor be attended in big numbers. Clubs and the AFL are going to go broke to keep the ‘Woke’ dream alive. Fancy giving them the same prize money when they run at a deficit. Do you how many people watched the first game on TV on Friday night in Victoria? A game that was super hyped, on the back of Matilda’s glory, with no AFL on ?
99,000 people. The gardening show beat it. Horrific figures, but no let’s keep saying they deserve more money. FFS
I'm not a racist but.........

@thegdog please explain to me in your own words what you mean by "woke" in this specific circumstance?
Throwing money down the drain to appease the vocal minority and not to hurt their feelings.
Put it this way, I bet you if you were running a business that depended on making a profit to feed your kids, you wouldn’t go with AFLW

Last edited:
Best standard it's been by a long way. Time is right to put more money in. And not at the top level, at grassroots level.

Reported the best ratings ever on the weekend. The tide is changing, feels like the right time on the calendar as well. I would change the pre finals bye to the week before grand final week and launch the AFLW then.

Throwing money down the drain to appease the vocal minority and not to hurt their feelings.
So Rupert Murdoch is woke? he's losing money hand over first with Sky News in Aus, but keeps it going to keep the vocal minority happy.

• Haha

WTF is reverse sexism?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Women's Grand Slam tennis, rates very well on TV, full house when they play. They get the same prize money for 3 sets as the men do for 5 sets.
Not too many people complain about that.

Women's Grand Slam tennis, rates very well on TV, full house when they play. They get the same prize money for 3 sets as the men do for 5 sets.
Not too many people complain about that.
That’s best you can put up? A 2 week tennis grand slam that only gets initial audience because of men draw cards. And no, of course they shouldn’t be paid the same for doing less work. Nobody should.

Doesn't it have to start somewhere? And if you haven't noticed, the improvement in standard in just a few short years is startling. Imagine the standard when all these 9-12 year olds playing now come through.

You do understand half of the population are female? And participation raes in junior girl's sport is increasing?

To ignore it as a growing market would be foolhardy. To call it a woke dream is nonsensical.

Reactions: 5 users
Put it this way, I bet you if you were running a business that depended on making a profit to feed your kids, you wouldn’t go with AFLW

Have you been living under a box your whole life.

Guess what, things change. You know what people told "geeks" during the early 90's about focusing on technology? It'll never take off, blah blah blah and some of those guys are not some of the richest people in the world.

Investing in a product that has a massive potential audience is a sound investment. The market exists, the product is probably a victim a bit of the mens game at the moment. The standard of training for these girls at the moment is abysmal and is where a lot of investment needs to go, but you need the girls to commit to the sport to do that (hence the growth of the top level game to provide a pathway towards a career), and this creates a big problem in that skills are not developed but tactics are borrowed from the mens game which is why defences at the moment win out against a forward line as its much easier to teach defensive positioning than it is to teach someone at a grown age to be an elite kick.

This is why changes and investment are required.

You can bleat and money about womens sports being a gimmick or "woke" as you put it, but even take the world cup that we've just had. Viewing numbers in the UK (early morning games) were also threw the roof (so puts to bed some of the argument about it only being good for audiences with prime time viewing). There is also record season ticket sales for the WSL in the UK, instagram followers of players have shot through the roof (these are where people get eyeballs on players more which is what womens sports are competing for).

IMO, womens sport has a great opportunity right now in Australia, AFLW / NRLW have the luxury of being played partly outside of the mens season so they can compete for the same eyeballs, whilst soccer has a great opportunity to sell a game to families that currently the A League, unber the control of Eastern European men, cannot provide. Its an environment that people have strived to achieve for soccer for a long time, games that don't have an underlying undercurrent of violence under them. The womens game provides that, and provides that option to families, which is absolutely where they should market it IMO.

That’s best you can put up? A 2 week tennis grand slam that only gets initial audience because of men draw cards. And no, of course they shouldn’t be paid the same for doing less work. Nobody should.

Many many women do.

Boo Hoo others like it so If you don't like it don't watch it......simple