Mid season Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mid season Draft

Watching Jasper Scaife, West Perth v South Fremantle. Scaife has taken 3 very good marks, 2 of them hangers.
It's three quarter time, it's a low scoring game 6 goals a piece, he hasn't kicked a goal, his 300 + goal teammate Keitel has kicked 4.
I've seen Scaife a few times, he continues to improve, is dual sided, a good mark and an even better kick, I'm sold.
The fact he’s only 19yo suggests he could be a good prospect , we ll have sec pic , I don’t think norf will go there , bet they get the coll HFF

Reactions: 1 users
Schofield highlights looked good but relied on excellent delivery for all but one of his 5 goals. Do we have guys that deliver that well?? Dont know.

Don’t get too excited about mid season drafts. Odds aren’t very good in picking up anyone decent

Reactions: 1 user
Who is the Kane Lambert equivalent running around dominating at state league level and still relatively young? Someone like Clohesy at the Suns who was overlooked as a draftee and walks into AFL at age 21 and immediately starts playing well.

There must be others like that running around.

Reactions: 8 users
Who is the Kane Lambert equivalent running around dominating at state league level and still relatively young? Someone like Clohesy at the Suns who was overlooked as a draftee and walks into AFL at age 21 and immediately starts playing well.

There must be others like that running around.
Exactly, it only takes one , need to pic well , I like nipper tresize hope we get a good look at him soon enough

Reactions: 1 users
A host of overlooked draft prospects impressed in the final Young Guns mid-season draft showcase against a depleted Vic Country side.
Members of the Young Guns side were nominated by AFL clubs to compete across two matches against Vic Metro and Vic Country ahead of the mid-season intake, with most of those players being overlooked 2023 draft prospects or late developers.

The magnets were moved around on the request of clubs for the second clash on Sunday and Geelong Falcons ruckman Joe Pike and Essendon VFL forward Oskar Smartt were among those to shine in front of recruiters in their 69-point win.

Pike continued his strong start to the season with an imposing performance in the ruck and up forward, kicking three goals – two of those coming from strong contested marks – to go with 20 hit-outs, 10 disposals and nine contested possessions.

The Barwon Heads product has attracted AFL interest after dominating for the Falcons as an over-age player, with his form coming off the back of a pre-season with Geelong VFL – shaving half a minute off his 2km time trial time.

Joe Pike performed strongly. Picture: Josh Chadwick/AFL Photos
Smartt, who tested at last year’s state draft combine alongside Pike, was arguably the best player on the ground as a midfielder with 22 disposals, six marks, five clearances and two goals, with his clean disposal and forward half impact standing out.

He racked up 17 disposals in an eye-catching first half before being shifted forward.

The Bendigo Pioneers export kicked four goals for the Bombers at Marvel Stadium in just his third VFL game a fortnight ago and excited in the first Young Guns contest, booting 3.2 from 12 touches.

Athletic Eastern Ranges key forward Remy MacLean was another to put his name up in lights, booting a game-high four goals – including two in the space of a few minutes – from 12 disposals and six marks.

Pike’s Falcons teammate Liam Kershaw started strongly and showcased his elite ball-use on the outside, going at 83 per cent efficiency from his 18 disposals, and also tallying eight marks, five inside 50s and five tackles.

Kershaw was among the players to catch the eye of Vic Country’s coach Paul Corrigan, who is also the coach of the Falcons, having seen him excel first-hand in his over-age campaign.

“I thought Kershaw was really good on the wing, I thought he just played his wing really well – pretty similar to what he does at Coates League at the Falcons for us in holding his channel,” Corrigan said.

“He was covering exits really well, he was also getting a lot of ball in hand, holding his width as well which was impressive.”

He was also impressed by Falcons graduate Tobyn Murray, who backed up 24 disposals and a goal in his first Young Guns outing with two goals and 12 disposals on Sunday.

A crafty crumbing goal in the first quarter was his main highlight, spending more time up forward in this match than against Vic Metro.

Murray’s energising four-goal haul for Geelong VFL in his second game helped him sew up a spot for the Young Guns games.

Murray celebrates one of his two goals. Picture: Josh Chadwick/AFL Photos
“I know he had a really good first game but he was very good again,” Corrigan said.

“It looks like he has developed his game even further, being part of Geelong VFL.”

Sandringham Zebras wingman Tarkyn O’Leary and Eastern Ranges forward-wingman Ry Cantwell also kicked two majors, with O’Leary hitting the target with 13 of his 16 disposals.

Bendigo Pioneers over-ager Dayten Uerata (15 disposals, three score assists and a goal), powerful Geelong Falcons forward Will McLachlan (13 disposals, five marks, two score assists and a goal) and athletic Tasmania Devils prospect Geordie Payne (eight disposals and a goal) were also lively in the forward half.

McLachlan, who burst onto the mid-season draft radar after kicking 13 goals in his first three Coates League matches, spent more time up the ground on a wing.

Vic Country was missing almost a whole side of talent with the AFL Academy match and school football games taking priority.

GWV Rebels defender Harry Charleson was among those to strengthen his chances of earning Vic Country squad selection for the national championships with 24 disposals and five rebound 50s, while Murray Bushranger Joe Berry was dangerous up forward with two goals and 12 touches.
Dandenong Stingrays midfielder Cooper Hynes won a game-high 27 disposals and six clearances, while Geelong Falcon Edan Ibbetson laid a game-high 10 tackles to go with 11 touches.

Vic Country is likely to assess the next month of Coates League matches before selecting their squad for the national championships, ahead of their first game against the Allies on June 9.

The AFL mid-season draft takes place on May 29.

Reactions: 3 users
Jack Mayo subiaco an interesting prospect.

Had 4 knee recos by 22yo on saints list.

25yo 195/95 athletic power forward. Clunks marks, works hard up the ground, very good set shot, quick, struts.

Probably the form KP in the WAFL currently.

Apparently its the first season hes ever been fully fit.

Id say hell be CHF Wa v Sa 18 may

Looks a div above Kositschke to my eye

Richie Bartlett Subi has AFL qualities too. 20yo Small forward, works hard without ball and kicks clutch goals. 10 possession impact player

• Wow
  • Dislike
Reactions: 6 users

25yo 195/95 athletic power forward. Clunks marks, works hard up the ground, very good set shot, quick, struts.

Richie Bartlett Subi has AFL qualities too. 20yo Small forward, works hard without ball and kicks clutch goals. 10 possession impact player
Sounds like Lee Walker from the Maggies, could certainly play but his knees were ratshit.

Comes to Richmond the way we are going hell do both knees walking into the club.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Mutaz....Mutaz....Mutaz....Mutaz....Mutaz....Mutaz....Mutaz....Mutaz....Mutaz....Mutaz....Mutaz....Mutaz....Mutaz....Mutaz....Mutaz....

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Disagree and my opinion only but he looks slow and non agile.
He gets goals out the back after not contesting the pack because he was trailing behind. Screams non athletic or slower football brain to me.
But my opinion is just from highlights so it will be interesting to see how he gotta in the state game.

Archie May's cameos for a 19 year old 199 cm guy are good. They're still only half quarter or quarter length cameo's but he is a very good contested mark for his age/slight frame.

Reactions: 5 users
Archie May's cameos for a 19 year old 199 cm guy are good. They're still only half quarter or quarter length cameo's but he is a very good contested mark for his age/slight frame.
I know I’m not the first to suggest it but I think we need to get him into a full time system. He has everything he needs except consistency and probably elite fitness. Totally worth a rookie pick mid season.

Reactions: 7 users
Disagree and my opinion only but he looks slow and non agile.
He gets goals out the back after not contesting the pack because he was trailing behind. Screams non athletic or slower football brain to me.
But my opinion is just from highlights so it will be interesting to see how he gotta in the state game.
Josh Jenkins