Conflicted season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Conflicted season

100% agree. This isn’t the Richmond of old where we started a 5 year rebuild, sacked the coach within 3 years, then started another 5 year rebuild. Yze is no mug and the people behind the scenes are not the incompetent hacks of the 90’s and 00’s.

This is closer to Collingwood of 2022 that finished 17th and bounced back quickly. If we get games into kids, get everything right in the 2024 trade and draft period, and fill the holes we need to fill… we will shoot up the ladder.

We can make finals in 2 years and top 4 in 3 years.
We can make finals next year.

Reactions: 4 users
100% agree. This isn’t the Richmond of old where we started a 5 year rebuild, sacked the coach within 3 years, then started another 5 year rebuild. Yze is no mug and the people behind the scenes are not the incompetent hacks of the 90’s and 00’s.

This is closer to Collingwood of 2022 that finished 17th and bounced back quickly. If we get games into kids, get everything right in the 2024 trade and draft period, and fill the holes we need to fill… we will shoot up the ladder.

Collingwood had played in a GF, Prelim and Semi-final prior to 2021. They were a good side in their prime that had a bad year. Similar to us in 2016.

Right now, we are a side that has finished 11th, 7th, 13th and likely bottom four this year. We are clearly on the decline. We have a hole in our list where the draft talent from 2018-2023 should be. Even if we absolutely knock the cover off the next draft, we are unlikely to see tangible results from those players for three or more years. In the mean time, our veterans will continue to decline in output and retire/be traded off.

Unless we see a massive improvement in 18-24 year olds currently on our list we are staring down 4-5 years minimum before we will be a finalist again.

History suggests that coaches and new coaches in particular, do not last that long without success.

Reactions: 3 users
We have the (rare) opportunity to draft a potential generational player or at best a 250 gamer with a lowly finish (16-18). The conundrum follows as to how we manage expectations when the top flight players return mid season and we go on a possible winning tear? I would like to see a competitive weekly effort but still lose and ensure we can access a Smillie, Jagga Smith-type or whoever else is spruiked as a top three-four pick.

Thoughts?
Are any of this years crop generational type talents though? Not from what Ive heard or seen thus far. Fairly even spread of 10-12 players Im hearing with FOS perhaps looking the pick of the crop at this early stage. 2-3 first rounders netting us a couple of those boys will be very handy.

Last edited:
Collingwood had played in a GF, Prelim and Semi-final prior to 2021. They were a good side in their prime that had a bad year. Similar to us in 2016.

Right now, we are a side that has finished 11th, 7th, 13th and likely bottom four this year. We are clearly on the decline. We have a hole in our list where the draft talent from 2018-2023 should be. Even if we absolutely knock the cover off the next draft, we are unlikely to see tangible results from those players for three or more years. In the mean time, our veterans will continue to decline in output and retire/be traded off.

Unless we see a massive improvement in 18-24 year olds currently on our list we are staring down 4-5 years minimum before we will be a finalist again.

History suggests that coaches and new coaches in particular, do not last that long without success.
I also feel we under achieved in 2022 and last year was a write off with injury, coach quitting, it was a perfect storm, so whilst we have been in decline, i dont think we're anywhere near as bad as what the ladder shows for a number of reasons. Most of our young guys will have 15-20 games extra experience going into another preseason, we still have a solid core of very very good afl players - one big draft haul and I believe we can bounce back pretty hard.

Reactions: 6 users
I also feel we under achieved in 2022 and last year was a write off with injury, coach quitting, it was a perfect storm, so whilst we have been in decline, i dont think we're anywhere near as bad as what the ladder shows for a number of reasons. Most of our young guys will have 15-20 games extra experience going into another preseason, we still have a solid core of very very good afl players - one big draft haul and I believe we can bounce back pretty hard.

I'm with you. Our core is still very good, and this year gives us the chance to accelerate the development of players that haven't been given much time over the last few years. The 1 thing that Dimma didn't do a lot of towards the end was bringing the kids in. Its why we must give blocks of games to the kids and I'm hoping to see that we continue to give blocks of games to some of the kids that have only had 1 or 2 weeks. If we can accelerate that next year with hopefully a full season of Lynch / Gibcus and 3-4 top 10 talents then I agree we can rebound quickly.

We need to take advantage of being a bottom 4 team this year when we probably aren't actually that bad. I suspect we are more your 7-10 team, so I probably look at us now in a similar vein to Port in 2018 when they went to the draft and got Rozee, Butters and Duursma with their 3 1st rounders.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm with you. Our core is still very good, and this year gives us the chance to accelerate the development of players that haven't been given much time over the last few years. The 1 thing that Dimma didn't do a lot of towards the end was bringing the kids in. Its why we must give blocks of games to the kids and I'm hoping to see that we continue to give blocks of games to some of the kids that have only had 1 or 2 weeks. If we can accelerate that next year with hopefully a full season of Lynch / Gibcus and 3-4 top 10 talents then I agree we can rebound quickly.

We need to take advantage of being a bottom 4 team this year when we probably aren't actually that bad. I suspect we are more your 7-10 team, so I probably look at us now in a similar vein to Port in 2018 when they went to the draft and got Rozee, Butters and Duursma with their 3 1st rounders.
Not certain that is correct dear Posh
2017 - 5 Debutants +Dion, Nank & Cadds
2018 - 3 Debutants
2019 - 7 Debutants + Tom Lynch & Mav Weller
2020 - 2 Debutants
2021 - 7 Debutants + Matt Parker
2022 - 5 Debutants + Robbie Tarrant
2023 - 1 Debutant (whilst Dimma was coach) 5 debutants all up + Taranto & Hopper

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with Mr Poshman. The ghosts of Dean Putt and Travis Casserley must be exorcised

• Haha
Never, ever tank for draft picks.

Never forget our win after the siren against Melbourne, that lost us the number 1 draft pick.

And netted Dustin Martin.

Damien Barrett has never understood sliding doors, even though he writes about it every week. Here it is.

Melbourne tanked. Got Scully, a good player who left, and some other spud. Also ended up getting penalised by the AFL for doing so. We went out to win, and picked up the best player of all time.

Jordan McMahon's desire to win delivered us a Dynusty.
Yeah, well put, but I'm gonna be dead before the next dynasty. So well stated though.

Not certain that is correct dear Posh
2017 - 5 Debutants +Dion, Nank & Cadds
2018 - 3 Debutants
2019 - 7 Debutants + Tom Lynch & Mav Weller
2020 - 2 Debutants
2021 - 7 Debutants + Matt Parker
2022 - 5 Debutants + Robbie Tarrant
2023 - 1 Debutant (whilst Dimma was coach) 5 debutants all up + Taranto & Hopper
And how many games did those kids get?

From my dodgy memory, I often remember my moaning about the lack of gametime given to the young players.

Reactions: 2 users
And how many games did those kids get?

From my dodgy memory, I often remember my moaning about the lack of gametime given to the young players.
2017 was Butler, Soldo, Shai, Stengle & Graham
2018 was Higgo , Garthwaite & Bakes
2019 was Balta, Stack, Ross, Coleman Jones, Naish, Eggy & Marlion
2020 was Aartsy & Not Paddy Dow
2021 was Mansell, Martyn, RCD, Hugo, Junior , Samson & Funky Miller
2022 was Biggy, Gibbo, Cumbo & Juddy
2023 was Tylar Young (in Dimma's time)

Not too many farces jumping out at me considering we were quite busy winning flags :)

Yeah nut they also drafted in McCrae and Leppa from Tigerland as well.

Season is rooted.

Hit the draft fire up the TANK !!

Our rebuild couldn't have come at a better time. Need to make the best use of our draft pick haul this year and next and sign our players of the future long enough so they won't be uncontracted when the Tassie team enters the league.

If we leave our rebuild when Tassie comes around we will we'll and truly stuffed for a long time thereafter.

The injury Gods have conspired to allow the RFC with a chance at a bumper draft hand.

In the situation we are in right now we should just play the kids taker our medicine and accept the end of season gifts that we would have missed had we not had the injuries we have,

Take Advantage while we can.

A bad fixture is an advantage. Because you are almost always rewarded with a draft pick that is better than you deserve.

If you are the Preeemier you can't get a bad fixture. Because you don't have to play the best team.