Conflicted season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Conflicted season

Frank Booth

Tiger Cub
Apr 9, 2016
We have the (rare) opportunity to draft a potential generational player or at best a 250 gamer with a lowly finish (16-18). The conundrum follows as to how we manage expectations when the top flight players return mid season and we go on a possible winning tear? I would like to see a competitive weekly effort but still lose and ensure we can access a Smillie, Jagga Smith-type or whoever else is spruiked as a top three-four pick.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
We have the (rare) opportunity to draft a potengtial generation player or at best a 250 gamer with a lowly finish (16-18). The conundrum follows as to how we manage expectations when the top flight players return mid season and we go on a possible winning tear? I would like to see a competitive weekly effort but still lose aqnd ensure we can access a Smillie, Jagga Smith-type or whoever else is spruiked as a top three-four pick.

Thoughts?
To tank or not to tank. That is the question.

We have the (rare) opportunity to draft a potential generational player or at best a 250 gamer with a lowly finish (16-18). The conundrum follows as to how we manage expectations when the top flight players return mid season and we go on a possible winning tear? I would like to see a competitive weekly effort but still lose and ensure we can access a Smillie, Jagga Smith-type or whoever else is spruiked as a top three-four pick.

Thoughts?

Yze plays the kids in the centre and leaves them there. Rests Lynch etc for greater periods on the pine especially if game is close, pretend it is too hard to get them back on

There are many ways to appear to be genuinely playing

Yze's pretty much said our kids will keep getting opportunities this year. I expect it to continue regardless of what older players are available.

Reactions: 4 users
We are still pretty injury ducked for a few more games then I think we might see a few retirements before seasons end. Then it might be the old “get the surgery done in August” trick for a few. Get some games into Smith and Green towards the last few rounds.

Reactions: 3 users
This isn't the dark old days feeling, it's different. We have been competitive and in patches easily matched with top sides.

I don't care if we keep losing for the rest of the year, just keep the game plan and develop the skills first mantra.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I want us to be the most competitive 17th team ever. Five or six wins (although not sure Hawthorn will win that many), a percentage of 85 and Finn O'Sullivan in November and it's been a good year.

Reactions: 7 users
Your theory is predicated on us having a fullish list of players, those players being match-fit enough to make a difference AND us being good enough to win more than the odd game even with them in. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

Reactions: 1 user
The 2 players that we miss the most in terms of structure and quality are Taranto and Lynch, and at best Taranto is another 6 weeks away and Lynch another 10 weeks away.

The last 4 rounds are the concern for winning a few too many games to hurt our draft pick as we play North and West Coast. North at Marvel where we don't have a good record against them, we should beat West Coast on the G. The other 2 in the last 4 are the Saints who I think will be out of the finals race by then and last game of the year against the Suns. Weird that we play the same team in our first and last games of the season.

The 2 players that we miss the most in terms of structure and quality are Taranto and Lynch, and at best Taranto is another 6 weeks away and Lynch another 10 weeks away.

The last 4 rounds are the concern for winning a few too many games to hurt our draft pick as we play North and West Coast. North at Marvel where we don't have a good record against them, we should beat West Coast on the G. The other 2 in the last 4 are the Saints who I think will be out of the finals race by then and last game of the year against the Suns. Weird that we play the same team in our first and last games of the season.
Reckon that's a touch pessimistic on Lynch - he's probably at most 8 weeks away now (caveated on no setbacks of course from here) and may be more like 6 weeks away. This is the 5th week out for him, originally 10-12 weeks out so 6 weeks on from here takes him to 11 all up.

Reactions: 1 users
Reckon that's a touch pessimistic on Lynch - he's probably at most 8 weeks away now (caveated on no setbacks of course from here) and may be more like 6 weeks away. This is the 5th week out for him, originally 10-12 weeks out so 6 weeks on from here takes him to 11 all up.

History tells us to be pessimistic ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Never, ever tank for draft picks.

Never forget our win after the siren against Melbourne, that lost us the number 1 draft pick.

And netted Dustin Martin.

Damien Barrett has never understood sliding doors, even though he writes about it every week. Here it is.

Melbourne tanked. Got Scully, a good player who left, and some other spud. Also ended up getting penalised by the AFL for doing so. We went out to win, and picked up the best player of all time.

Jordan McMahon's desire to win delivered us a Dynusty.

Reactions: 14 users

We don't play West Coast again but we do play Hawthorn twice. They have Norf in Tassie in the final round. I think we probably finish 16th at the lowest.

Never, ever tank for draft picks.

Never forget our win after the siren against Melbourne, that lost us the number 1 draft pick.

And netted Dustin Martin.

Damien Barrett has never understood sliding doors, even though he writes about it every week. Here it is.

Melbourne tanked. Got Scully, a good player who left, and some other spud. Also ended up getting penalised by the AFL for doing so. We went out to win, and picked up the best player of all time.

Jordan McMahon's desire to win delivered us a Dynusty.
Yeah, don't tank. We won't have to.

Reactions: 3 users
Some are presuming that if we had lost we wouldn't have picked up Dusty at no 1.

We don't play West Coast again but we do play Hawthorn twice. They have Norf in Tassie in the final round. I think we probably finish 16th at the lowest.
I think that 7 wins for the season will still finish bottom 4, even 8, so to me bottom 4 is extremely likely. The group between 7th-14th is going to be quite closely packed.

This isn't the dark old days feeling, it's different. We have been competitive and in patches easily matched with top sides.

I don't care if we keep losing for the rest of the year, just keep the game plan and develop the skills first mantra.

100% agree. This isn’t the Richmond of old where we started a 5 year rebuild, sacked the coach within 3 years, then started another 5 year rebuild. Yze is no mug and the people behind the scenes are not the incompetent hacks of the 90’s and 00’s.

This is closer to Collingwood of 2022 that finished 17th and bounced back quickly. If we get games into kids, get everything right in the 2024 trade and draft period, and fill the holes we need to fill… we will shoot up the ladder.

We can make finals in 2 years and top 4 in 3 years.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Your theory is predicated on us having a fullish list of players, those players being match-fit enough to make a difference AND us being good enough to win more than the odd game even with them in. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
It's a long season

100% agree. This isn’t the Richmond of old where we started a 5 year rebuild, sacked the coach within 3 years, then started another 5 year rebuild. Yze is no mug and the people behind the scenes are not the incompetent hacks of the 90’s and 00’s.

This is closer to Collingwood of 2022 that finished 17th and bounced back quickly. If we get games into kids, get everything right in the 2024 trade and draft period, and fill the holes we need to fill… we will shoot up the ladder.

We can make finals in 2 years and top 4 in 3 years.