You can never have too many small forwards | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

You can never have too many small forwards

We might have another one developing along with MRJ.

Noah Cumberland. Have liked him since I first saw his draft video. Coming along nicely now he's got over a terrible injury in '20.

I can see MRJ and Noah forming an unholy combo in our FL sometime in RFC's future. Maybe not too far away.
Cummerbund is coming along nicely at VFL level at the moment. Not quite a small at 183cm but seems to have plenty of Richmond man traits that will suit an elevation to AFL level. Wouldn't mind him getting a couple of senior games before the season ends.

We have a crisis of small forward stocks atm. We haven't topped up. Aarts the exception.

A small forward is one who crumbs and kicks goals. Which of these characteristics is not desirable in any player?

Small forwards have short life spans. In the role. They either fall by the wayside. Or they move to HBF or even onball.

George Castagna was recruited as a small back. But he didn't have the IQ for the role. Could not use. So we moved him near the big white sticks to make his decision making easier. Big white sticks. They don't move.

Liam Baker? Small forward moved back then to HFF and onball. Jayden Short? Small forward moved back because too slow. Daniel Rioli? Burnt out. HBF now. Butler was burnt out. He changed clubs and was refreshed. But he won't last forever.

Players who crumb? Who kick goals? Perfect smalls. We can teach em to chase. And there's nothing stopping us form recruiting quick ones.

We need a steady intake of small forwards. We can never have too many. Steady intake. Different stages of development.

We have neglected this category through complacency. It's almost like we don't know the rule.
Whilst I completely agree with your post, I laugh at the delicious irony at all those posts (not yours) I've read on this forum attacking the club for drafting too many small forwards.
I've thought basically all the same as what you've said, particularly Butler. He needs a near career-death experience to get the will power to perform. Think of the last man cut in 16, only to get a reprieve for 17. Gets traded by us and has a stellar year only to drop back again.
Rioli, Butler, Short, Castagna, Baker, Stengle, Rioli Jnr. I've probably missed a couple. They definitely don't last too long in the role.

Reactions: 1 users
They say it’s the hardest position on the ground to play and with our extra emphasis on whole ground pressure and mystical game plan that seems to have forward roles that are fairly complex, we must burn them out.

Reactions: 1 user
Jack Higgins says hello.
Drafted at pick 17. Fair investment in a small crumbing forward. Didn’t suit our game plan last year.
Would have played every game this year.

We did have a go there, DA. Crumbs, kicks goals. He fits the model. 2018 none. 2019 none. We are missing them.

Ive got a funny feeling we see MRJ this week.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Whilst I completely agree with your post, I laugh at the delicious irony at all those posts (not yours) I've read on this forum attacking the club for drafting too many small forwards.
I've thought basically all the same as what you've said, particularly Butler. He needs a near career-death experience to get the will power to perform. Think of the last man cut in 16, only to get a reprieve for 17. Gets traded by us and has a stellar year only to drop back again.
Rioli, Butler, Short, Castagna, Baker, Stengle, Rioli Jnr. I've probably missed a couple. They definitely don't last too long in the role.
I worry about the list balance balance with having too many really smalls
short, baker , prestia , MJR , Aarts, etc
and too many light frames
Stack , Edwards , Mansell, Lambert , Bolton
I get it , they bring speed , agility and endurance
we saw against Geelong mature bodies breaking tackles and their mature bodies sticking more tackles
yeah our hand was forced by injury and having Short , Stack , Dan Rioli , Mansell down back or wing
and just one of KMac, Broad, Vlastuin could have tipped that balance

If Cumberland makes it then he does address that balance a little

I wonder if we would consider getting Bailey Lambert with a late or rookie pick.

a small forward only needs to barely get a kick.

they just have to go straight when they do.

but agree, he doesnt look like a magic silver elephant bullet

we should grab Nick Watson in the 2022 draft. cunning as a shitthouse rat with an extensive toolkit.
I went and watched Dandy V Eastern today and I can vouch for what @eZyT is on about here.

Kid is 168cm, speedy Gonzales fast in mind and leg speed.

I’m in after one viewing today.

I went and watched Dandy V Eastern today and I can vouch for what @eZyT is on about here.

Kid is 168cm, speedy Gonzales fast in mind and leg speed.

I’m in after one viewing today.

hes actually 2023 draft.

the little fella is mega bottom age.

i saw him do the full shai bolton and sit on a ruckmans head for vic metro u15 when he was 13

he does everything

We have none at the moment when at one time we had an abundance of them.

Do we have a look at MRJ?

Shift Get Shorty forward where he started his career and Edward Scissorhands as a permanent small forward??

What I do know is George Constanza and Performing Arts providing nothing.

Yer but had no loyalty ... to a club that stood by him through brain surgery and all. Ditched us for the Aints; thinks he's going to be a superstar.
Waste of space.

And we could have taken Oscar Allen - JR8 career replacement. High quality KPFs are much rarer and harder to find than SFs.
I'd prefer to never see 'Higgo' mentioned on PRE again.
Not taking Allen is a real burner.

Hope the club makes good use of the Jack Higgins pick because, right now, we could use his smarts as a small forward. Better than Aarts and Castagna combined.

Ground ball gets. That's crumbing. The ability to kick a goal. Small forward stuff.

Chaos players. It's much better if they're quick. They can hold space and they can catch the other side's slows. They can heat and then get on the break. More heat = more chaos.

I think you can put fifteen on the park at once. A lot of posters were saying eighteen in our off-season football scenarios. Quick ones.

Time is a factor, Lois. We need a lot of quicks. Agility works too.

Reactions: 2 users