You can never have too many small forwards | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

You can never have too many small forwards

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
We have a crisis of small forward stocks atm. We haven't topped up. Aarts the exception.

A small forward is one who crumbs and kicks goals. Which of these characteristics is not desirable in any player?

Small forwards have short life spans. In the role. They either fall by the wayside. Or they move to HBF or even onball.

George Castagna was recruited as a small back. But he didn't have the IQ for the role. Could not use. So we moved him near the big white sticks to make his decision making easier. Big white sticks. They don't move.

Liam Baker? Small forward moved back then to HFF and onball. Jayden Short? Small forward moved back because too slow. Daniel Rioli? Burnt out. HBF now. Butler was burnt out. He changed clubs and was refreshed. But he won't last forever.

Players who crumb? Who kick goals? Perfect smalls. We can teach em to chase. And there's nothing stopping us form recruiting quick ones.

We need a steady intake of small forwards. We can never have too many. Steady intake. Different stages of development.

We have neglected this category through complacency. It's almost like we don't know the rule.

Reactions: 9 users
The best one hasn't got a game yet.

Put Maurice Junior at the feet of Lynch and Jack and watch him go.

Don't play him anywhere else, (he hasn't got the tank anyway) just at Jack and Tom's feet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
We have a crisis of small forward stocks atm. We haven't topped up. Aarts the exception.

A small forward is one who crumbs and kicks goals. Which of these characteristics is not desirable in any player?

Small forwards have short life spans. In the role. They either fall by the wayside. Or they move to HBF or even onball.

George Castagna was recruited as a small back. But he didn't have the IQ for the role. Could not use. So we moved him near the big white sticks to make his decision making easier. Big white sticks. They don't move.

Liam Baker? Small forward moved back then to HFF and onball. Jayden Short? Small forward moved back because too slow. Daniel Rioli? Burnt out. HBF now. Butler was burnt out. He changed clubs and was refreshed. But he won't last forever.

Players who crumb? Who kick goals? Perfect smalls. We can teach em to chase. And there's nothing stopping us form recruiting quick ones.

We need a steady intake of small forwards. We can never have too many. Steady intake. Different stages of development.

We have neglected this category through complacency. It's almost like we don't know the rule.
MRJ is the one we need to fast track.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Who would want to be a small forward at Richmond? You have to run your arse off all day, barely touch the ball and be roundly criticised by fans for not getting higher Supercoach scores.

Reactions: 6 users
Jake Aarts has earnt his pay, but made a mockery of the whole piñata concept.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure MRJ is the panacea at this stage. Can barely get a kick in the magoos.

Reactions: 1 users
We have a small forward that used to play that role till Dimma decided to make him a HBF his names D Rioli
If only Daniel was given the same opportunities George has

• Love
We have a small forward that used to play that role till Dimma decided to make him a HBF his names D Rioli

I'd say they've both had similar numbers of chances and neither of them have really taken their opportunities this year. I'm all for converting Rioli to a HB.

In his mind they do, sometimes nearly to centre-wing

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Not sure MRJ is the panacea at this stage. Can barely get a kick in the magoos.

a small forward only needs to barely get a kick.

they just have to go straight when they do.

but agree, he doesnt look like a magic silver elephant bullet

we should grab Nick Watson in the 2022 draft. cunning as a shitthouse rat with an extensive toolkit.

Reactions: 1 user
If George is not playing small forward and kicking goals them he has no place in the side we have better suited more talented kids who can play the utility role better. Stack should be small forward for mine. He has the smarts toughness and speed.

He did to a degree bt01…Daniel got very lazy and selective in what he was doing. I have no problem with him being dropped.

Nor George as well…he should have been dropped back to regain form a long time ago.

Jack Higgins says hello.
Drafted at pick 17. Fair investment in a small crumbing forward. Didn’t suit our game plan last year.
Would have played every game this year.

Jack Higgins says hello.
Drafted at pick 17. Fair investment in a small crumbing forward. Didn’t suit our game plan last year.
Would have played every game this year.
Yer but had no loyalty ... to a club that stood by him through brain surgery and all. Ditched us for the Aints; thinks he's going to be a superstar.
Waste of space.

And we could have taken Oscar Allen - JR8 career replacement. High quality KPFs are much rarer and harder to find than SFs.
I'd prefer to never see 'Higgo' mentioned on PRE again.

We might have another one developing along with MRJ.

Noah Cumberland. Have liked him since I first saw his draft video. Coming along nicely now he's got over a terrible injury in '20.

I can see MRJ and Noah forming an unholy combo in our FL sometime in RFC's future. Maybe not too far away.

Yer but had no loyalty ... to a club that stood by him through brain surgery and all. Ditched us for the Aints; thinks he's going to be a superstar.
Waste of space.

And we could have taken Oscar Allen - JR8 career replacement. High quality KPFs are much rarer and harder to find than SFs.
I'd prefer to never see 'Higgo' mentioned on PRE again.
I was responding to a post about not investing in small forwards.
I didn’t infer it was the right choice.

I was responding to a post about not investing in small forwards.
I didn’t infer it was the right choice.
Calling him a 'fair investment' implies a good decision.

SFs are over-rated IMO anyway. Pick a guy who is really competitive in the air, not just on the ground; a medium forward e.g Heeney, J. Stephenson, T. Green, J. Elliot (marks tall).
Better value players.

We should definitely get the next Jamie Elliott. Maybe even the current one.
We had Jamie Elliott, he was pretty average, that’s why we gave him to St Kilda.