X factor development | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

X factor development

Leysy Days said:
It’s interesting the change in mindset on PRE. For years we hear – footballers will always beat athletes, ball moves faster than running etc etc.

Now we have gone full circle in drafting and have almost universally taken the athlete before footballer we are now comfortable with the about face.

As our most vocal critic re: our lack of focus on leg speed Leysy is not complaining. Just throwing up a random observation.

Pretty obvious that the many will simply support whatever the club does. If we continued drafting footballers as you call them, then PRE will be generally endorsing that approach.

And remember, not many posters on PRE as visionary as yourself.

Sintiger said:
I believe it's not about athlete before footballer it is about getting players who have demonstrated they can become footballers with rapid development already but have elite athletic traits. May sound like semantics but it's the difference between getting Folau or Blicsavs at it's most extreme example.

Important distinction - well put.

Sintiger said:
I believe it's not about athlete before footballer it is about getting players who have demonstrated they can become footballers with rapid development already but have elite athletic traits. May sound like semantics but it's the difference between getting Folau or Blicsavs at it's most extreme example.

Fair comment, it's one big reason Tom Doedee was selected so high, in 1 year he has gone from basketballer to the Falcon's B team, to the Falcon's A team and then onto play for Vic Country. Can't think of too many with such a steep learning curve.

bullus_hit said:
Fair comment, it's one big reason Tom Doedee was selected so high, in 1 year he has gone from basketballer to the Falcon's B team, to the Falcon's A team and then onto play for Vic Country. Can't think of too many with such a steep learning curve.
Yeah the crows are going to look like geniuses or dunces on that one.

Leysy Days said:
It’s interesting the change in mindset on PRE. For years we hear – footballers will always beat athletes, ball moves faster than running etc etc.

Now we have gone full circle in drafting and have almost universally taken the athlete before footballer we are now comfortable with the about face.

As our most vocal critic re: our lack of focus on leg speed Leysy is not complaining. Just throwing up a random observation.

It's also a lot to do with where we see ourselves presently. We have a good core and building some depth. The club can do the same for incremental improvement or they chance themselves at a calculated risk for some x factor reward and hopefully greater scope of improvement. I reckon they'd have had this intent at the draft locked away for some time. The supposed shallow draft with incomplete footballers would've given them greater reason to do so. Talking crap? Possibly.

I think theres such a small % in getting it right or wrong that they swing with the rules as much as anything, with the sub rule departing it is important that we have athletes with stamina.

I also think the new recruiters have added to Frank and assisted him, from the little i have seen he seems very process driven but also willing to listen and be objective.

I also agree and have thought this myself that they have gone after kids that have shown huge improvements, even if its the backend of the year and combine (Rioli as an example)...

Tigertough1974 said:
I think theres such a small % in getting it right or wrong that they swing with the rules as much as anything, with the sub rule departing it is important that we have athletes with stamina.

I also think the new recruiters have added to Frank and assisted him, from the little i have seen he seems very process driven but also willing to listen and be objective.

I also agree and have thought this myself that they have gone after kids that have shown huge improvements, even if its the backend of the year and combine (Rioli as an example)...
Rioli is relatively young in his year
A lot of our early selections are young in the year they are drafted
It's one way of getting a kid with development still in him, when you're not drafting top 1-5-8 picks
Smart recruiting given the picks we have.
Our VFL picks seem better lately too, I just wonder why these guys aren't playing VFL at the Tigers, rather than ??
Time to show there's an AFL pathway from our Ressies so we have the best view of these guys as they develop

Just a little bit of useless information

Cyril Rioli was drafted with #12
Daniel Rioli would have been #12 also without the academy picks being included

turk-d-tiger said:
Just a little bit of useless information

Cyril Rioli was drafted with #12
Daniel Rioli would have been #12 also without the academy picks being included

The other useless fact is that, of all the Rioli's drafted into the AFL, their clubs made the GF their first year with the club:

Maurice (Richmond): 1982
Willie Snr (Hawthorn): 1991
Dean (Essendon): 2000
Cyril (Hawthorn): 2008

That's just freaky stuff. Watch Richmond ruin the trend

BrisTiger24 said:
The other useless fact is that, of all the Rioli's drafted into the AFL, their clubs made the GF their first year with the club:

Maurice (Richmond): 1982
Willie Snr (Hawthorn): 1991
Dean (Essendon): 2000
Cyril (Hawthorn): 2008

That's just freaky stuff. Watch Richmond ruin the trend

Barring injury I think Rioli will get at least 1 game in 2016.

Platinum member said:
i think griff is a prime example of it doesn't matter how much training and development you give someone if the player doesn't want it badly enough for themselves.

Well yes...and this is also where the development staff really earn their money. The truly great ones can get into players mindsets and make small adjustments there as well...so hopefully ours get into his!

Griff is still improving and frankly, had he not played that Final (underdone) he would not be on the scrapheap of opinions right now as he prior to the injury was the forward out of Vickery and he to be the 'one'. RFC should have not played him for that game. Quite frankly, Lennon in for Griff and we may have won that game - and it was NOT Griff;s fault.

X factor players need to have their heads together. This has been Richmond's issue and it is the main factor to be sorted out if we are to become an elite club. The players need to believe in themselves and teammates, and be able to respond when challenged. Until the on field leaders can respond and inspire others around them, all the coaching won't help. Mind you the coaches needs to sort out this issue.