X factor development | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

X factor development

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Time for our development staff to earn their keep. It is an area I believe we have been less than stellar at over the years, (feel free to disagree). With the concentration this year on speed and supposed X factor project players to go with Menadue last year and 4 years & still waiting on Beaner, it would be nice to see some latter round selections turn into gold.

Griffiths definitely, along with a couple of others, needs to have a break-out season in 2016 ... if e were to establish some form and a real presence n the team then he would definitely be something of an X-factor.

Griff is a great example of someone who should be killing it by now, if we don't bring the best out of him someone else will.

caesar said:
Griff is a great example of someone who should be killing it by now, if we don't bring the best out of him someone else will.
i think griff is a prime example of it doesn't matter how much training and development you give someone if the player doesn't want it badly enough for themselves.

caesar said:

I take your point, Caesar ... but reckon it might be time for Griffiths to develop his mental approach to the game and bring the best out in himself ... it really is time for him to stand up and announce his presence on the football field.

brigadiertiger said:
Can you develop x-factor?
I don't think that's what Caeser is saying. He is saying that we have recruited x factor and now its time to develop them into AFL footballers. I reckon he is right.

I do have a concern is that these young x factor players need bigger bodies around them at a vfl level and to play in a competitive team. I hope we are heading in that direction in our recruiting for the vfl team.

That is exactly what i mean Sintiger. The X factor is already there but I want to see us at least have some success in developing a couple of them into bonafide AFL players without stifling their flair. The X only gets you so far so a lot of astute development required.

caesar said:
like derrickx????

Our younger squad

FB: Castagna Elton Broad
Hb: Vlastuin ------ Drummond
C: ------- Mcintosh Menadue
CHF: C Ellis Mckenzie Lennon
FF: Rioli McBean C Moore
Rk: Chol Townsend B Ellis
I/c. Soldo Markov butler short

that's our under 23 squad next year.
20 players. 13 ND, 6 rookies, 1 x-giant
IMO we should prioritise a CHB and a tall express midfielder.

That team has a good amount of speed, power running, skills and x-factor.

Comparing Griff to Derrickx is ridiculous. Griff may be missing something between the ears but surely someone who is 199cm one of the best grabs in the league, agile, good below his knees, can pinch hit ruck and prodigious kick, (albeit has the yips in front of goal), is a great example of someone with X, that either through lacking personal or club development, we are yet to see the best of. Anyway this thread was not created to be a Griff thread, there is plenty of exciting new blood to watch in this space.

caesar said:
Comparing Griff to Derrickx is ridiculous. Griff may be missing something between the ears but surely someone who is 199cm one of the best grabs in the league, agile, good below his knees, can pinch hit ruck and prodigious kick, (albeit has the yips in front of goal), is a great example of someone with X, that either through lacking personal or club development, we are yet to see the best of. Anyway this thread was not created to be a Griff thread, there is plenty of exciting new blood to watch in this space.

Wow.

One of the best grabs in the leagues and a prodigious kick?

Oh, right, you're talking about Tex Walker. No. Wait. Griffiths? What?

You cant develop X-Factor

You just need to get them super fit and fast and teach them defensive skills & Work ethic as to get the best out of them

One of the reasons I rate this draft above most is the x-factor overload. Some of these guys have enormous ceilings and it's so unlike Frank to target so many in one hit. Rioli is Frank's first supremely gifted athlete who's footballing CV is still in question, but I like it and feel he needs some projects like this to stamp himself as an A1 recruiter. Markov is in the same league, athlete first and foremost, but a player who could turn into an explosive linebreaker. Then there's Moore, the guy who kicks like Earl Spalding but seems to possess some impressive weaponry that makes him a midfielder in KP clothing. Chol rounds out the quartet, a freakishly gifted athlete with solid skills but someone who doesn't get involved nearly enough. This draft has the potential to make Frank look like a visionary, of course credit must also go to the coaching squad if it comes off, but at least the wheels have been set in motion.

bullus_hit said:
One of the reasons I rate this draft above most is the x-factor overload. Some of these guys have enormous ceilings and it's so unlike Frank to target so many in one hit. Rioli is Frank's first supremely gifted athlete who's footballing CV is still in question, but I like it and feel he needs some projects like this to stamp himself as an A1 recruiter. Markov is in the same league, athlete first and foremost, but a player who could turn into an explosive linebreaker. Then there's Moore, the guy who kicks like Earl Spalding but seems to possess some impressive weaponry that makes him a midfielder in KP clothing. Chol rounds out the quartet, a freakishly gifted athlete with solid skills but someone who doesn't get involved nearly enough. This draft has the potential to make Frank look like a visionary, of course credit must also go to the coaching squad if it comes off, but at least the wheels have been set in motion.
Yes but what we don't know is what recruiters have been asked to target in the past. Maybe frank was just told to target the best solid citizen hard working mids and that's what he did and this year he was asked to go for the X factor types ?

It’s interesting the change in mindset on PRE. For years we hear – footballers will always beat athletes, ball moves faster than running etc etc.

Now we have gone full circle in drafting and have almost universally taken the athlete before footballer we are now comfortable with the about face.

As our most vocal critic re: our lack of focus on leg speed Leysy is not complaining. Just throwing up a random observation.

Sintiger said:
Yes but what we don't know is what recruiters have been asked to target in the past. Maybe frank was just told to target the best solid citizen hard working mids and that's what he did and this year he was asked to go for the X factor types ?

I think every recruiter leaves an individual mark, Frank has in the past had his favourites when the rest of the pack has seen things differently. Guys like Conca, Vlastuin and C.Ellis were ranked a little higher than the flashier types like Heppell, Menzel & Weller. He has been slightly more adventurous with later picks, Griffiths & McIntosh being a couple of more speculative types, but has also picked up a lot of C grade retreads and some head scratchers like Arnot, Dea, Nason and McDonald, players who were C graders in C grade competitions.

The last two years has seen his processes refined to the point where I think he can rival the best, the state leagues are back in vogue, the rookies aren't your typical plodders and also play in positions which have a decent strike rate at the deep end of the draft. I see a fundamental shift and I like what I see.

Leysy Days said:
It’s interesting the change in mindset on PRE. For years we hear – footballers will always beat athletes, ball moves faster than running etc etc.

Now we have gone full circle in drafting and have almost universally taken the athlete before footballer we are now comfortable with the about face.

As our most vocal critic re: our lack of focus on leg speed Leysy is not complaining. Just throwing up a random observation.
In reading the articles about Rioli, Markov, C. Moore, Broad and Chol it is true that all of them are very good athletes but the other thing that seems to categorise them is that they have all made very big improvement in 2015. The job of the recruiter is not to get the best players now it is to get the players who will become the best. Rapid improvement at a young age is a very good indicator for the future imo.

I believe it's not about athlete before footballer it is about getting players who have demonstrated they can become footballers with rapid development already but have elite athletic traits. May sound like semantics but it's the difference between getting Folau or Blicsavs at it's most extreme example.