Who else believes Richie will have a great second half to the year? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who else believes Richie will have a great second half to the year?

rockstar_tiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 28, 2009
Ahh, our all-time fan favourite #4 draft pick - the guy who got picked before Buddy :hihi

During the pre-season it was discovered he needed surgery to correct a blood circulation issue in his feet. As fitness returns, I fully expect Richie to not only match last season's output, but improve on it - and become a quality contributor for the next era moving forward.

Similar to the critisism Jack copped a few weeks ago, it is more a reflection of the poor performances of the team collectively rather than a fair evaluation of the individual. Some say he has run out of excuses. Fom Jon Brown to Nathan Foley, like it or not injuries will never run out as an excuse because they are legitimate.

I'm also quietly confident of him justifying being selected before Buddy. That's not to say he will be better, but the gap will close enough for people to say it wasn't the worst decision we ever made. His professionalism and leadership qualities will also be a talking point for that debate in future years. I don't expect many to share that view though, naturally.

So who else believes that Richie (that guy who was picked before Buddy - in case you don't know :hihi) will have a great second half to the year and go on to become a good player?

Ive got my fingers crossed that Tambling becomes at least an average player which is a whole lot better than what he is at the moment.

btoz_01 said:
Ive got my fingers crossed
Yep, me too. We'll just have to wait and see. He has the tools. RT is another example of what this year is about. Those who moan about him being "gifted" games need to remember that. Good luck to him.

i love the way ritchie goes about his training and love his match day intensity. i have NO DOUBT that he will improve. ive seen it all year that the effort has been there when in contest and as always his decision making and disposal is of a high class. as his fitness improves and his legs can get him to more contests he will be a massive part of our team and future

ritchie 4 president

Like quite a few of his Richmond team-mates, Tambling is on the cusp of becoming a mature footballer. With that maturity, will come more consistency of effort and output. Yes, it is frustrating that he has taken six seasons to get to this point in his career and has yet to advance to where we want him to be.

Most of the better teams turn out 12-20 mature footballers every week, guys who are 23/24+ and have played between 80 and 250 games. Looking at the Bulldogs team this week, for example, shows that they have 14 such players on the park this weekend, if we don't include Griffen, Williams and Higgins who are a similar age to Tambling. If we include them, it is 17 of their 22.

By contrast, we are playing Newman, Moore, Cousins, Tuck and Polak.

A very important group of players at Tigerland at the present moment are the players who are entering this mature age group, such as Deledio, Tambling, Jackson, McGuane, Thursfield, Graham, White, Polo, Morton and Foley. Just behind them is a younger group which includes Riewoldt, Cotchin, Edwards, Connors, Collins, Hislop, Rance, Farmer and Gourdis. This will be a big part of the core of our team in two seasons. Some of them may only end up as role players but we desperately need to gradually raise the age and experience of our team.

We will not be competitive until we put 12-20 mature footballers out onto the field each week. We can bang on about kids, drafts and whatever as much as we like but it won't change the fact that our future rests our ability as a club to retain and develop these maturing players.

What Tambling achieves this year is less relevant than what he achieves over the next three seasons. He is talented, we have put 100 games into him and he is entering what will be the most productive phase of his career.

Before I answer this question are we sure there is nothing else wrong with him? Is he over all his excuses, complaints, syndromes, & issues?

Maybe someone who sat with him the other night can inform us if he's cherry ripe to go.

I hope that he does turn out to play at his best consistently. I love watching him play. Easily my favourite tiger at the moment. I will be very interested to see how he goes when we become competitive again.

God help him if he doesnt have a better 2nd half to the year. Hopefully he's over his compartment syndrome gout.

TOT70 said:
Like quite a few of his Richmond team-mates, Tambling is on the cusp of becoming a mature footballer. With that maturity, will come more consistency of effort and output. Yes, it is frustrating that he has taken six seasons to get to this point in his career and has yet to advance to where we want him to be.

Most of the better teams turn out 12-20 mature footballers every week, guys who are 23/24+ and have played between 80 and 250 games. Looking at the Bulldogs team this week, for example, shows that they have 14 such players on the park this weekend, if we don't include Griffen, Williams and Higgins who are a similar age to Tambling. If we include them, it is 17 of their 22.

By contrast, we are playing Newman, Moore, Cousins, Tuck and Polak.

A very important group of players at Tigerland at the present moment are the players who are entering this mature age group, such as Deledio, Tambling, Jackson, McGuane, Thursfield, Graham, White, Polo, Morton and Foley. Just behind them is a younger group which includes Riewoldt, Cotchin, Edwards, Connors, Collins, Hislop, Rance, Farmer and Gourdis. This will be a big part of the core of our team in two seasons. Some of them may only end up as role players but we desperately need to gradually raise the age and experience of our team.

We will not be competitive until we put 12-20 mature footballers out onto the field each week. We can bang on about kids, drafts and whatever as much as we like but it won't change the fact that our future rests our ability as a club to retain and develop these maturing players.

What Tambling achieves this year is less relevant than what he achieves over the next three seasons. He is talented, we have put 100 games into him and he is entering what will be the most productive phase of his career.

You could put 250 games into half those players and they still wouldnt be up to it.

geoffryprettyboy said:
No more excuses.

Exactly right prettyboy. In my book, Tambling is a massive under achiever. Tries hard at times, looks very very lazy and uncommited at times.
Foot skills and decision making should be better after 100 games.
Time to shape up Richie boy, or you're trade bait!
Loved the way he played last half of last year, wanna see him play like that week in, week out.
Come on Richie, make me eat my words!!

geoffryprettyboy said:
No more excuses.
Agreed.

This will be his 8th game this season out of a possible 10,he should be as match fit as anyone.

He needs to start taking the opposition on more,a lot more.
That`s his number 1 strength,the reason he was drafted so highly.

He has the tools to be a very good footballer,he`s shown it in the past plenty of times therefore i am confident he will come good in the Second Half of the season.