Where to for Thursfield ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Where to for Thursfield ?

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Thursfield has his critics and he has his admirers. Personally I like the guy, he an old fashion, no frills defender who can get the job done. I’ve seen him nullify some decent forwards in his 60 odd games so far.

But with some promising signs from Astbury in the backline he looks to have passed Thursty and taken his place in the team already.
Now I’m wondering if Thursfield has a future on our list.
Could he be up for trade end of year?

What do others think of Thursty's future at the club?

THINK he has played 20 good games out of 60

and in this day and age your defenders need to be very good by foot.

Personally I reckon he's been just a player for some time.
Has a great spoil but is not really big/strong enough (ala Presti) to play on the giants , not really quick enough to play on the likes of Milne & not enough tricks to play as a third tall in general.
I think he's bait if anyone will take him that is.

Tigers of Old said:
Personally I reckon he's been just a player for some time.
Has a great spoil but is not really big/strong enough (ala Presti) to play on the giants , not really quick enough to play on the likes of Milne & not enough tricks to play as a third tall in general.
I think he's bait if anyone will take him that is.

Grimes, who plays a similar shut down game with minimal offence, has to be breathing down his neck soon, if he isn't already

got to have versatility to be a key back , ijust think he is a dour defender not much else

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Grimes, who plays a similar shut down game with minimal offence, has to be breathing down his neck soon, if he isn't already
Straight Swap for Dowler might be on the cards,The Hawks are short on Defenders.

Col.W.Kurtz said:

Hope he turns out as good as his brother is going to be - then we can say we got the better Grimes along with the better Reiwoldt ;)

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Straight Swap for Dowler might be on the cards,The Hawks are short on Defenders.

I hope you are kidding Skip, or is Dowler the key forward Jack will play third tall to?

The thing is, there are three spots for tall defenders and we have several young talls to introduce to the team over the next two seasons.

I daresay that McGuane, Moore and Thursfield may never all play together again. Hardwick has seen an opportunity to push Astbury to CHB, a perfectly logical step and that has pushed Thursfield out. It has also relegated Post and Rance to Coburg and probably delayed Gourdis's progress.

Once Astbury has been setteld into the back-line, then he will look at one of the others coming in.

Thursfield is reasonable trade bait. He is still young, can be relied upon to play a role and has some experience behind him.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Nothing wrong with Thirsty,s footskills.

Thursty isn't bad by foot. He's just very reluctant to run and carry.

I think his problem is purely mental. He's not overly slow nor is he awkward with his disposal. Just needs to utilise opportunities to attack when they appear.

Grimes was in the best for the Coburg 2's on the weekend.

Thursty maybe off to Balwyn! But maybe WC or some other team like GC or GWS.
He just gives us nothing offensively and anyone who can will surely go past him at team selection. Best we trade him off while he has some sort of value and is young enough. It about time we stopped holding onto players too long. We got rid of some last year, but they were montys to go anyway.

thejinx said:
I think his problem is purely mental. He's not overly slow nor is he awkward with his disposal. Just needs to utilise opportunities to attack when they appear.

This is easier said than done for Wil. I have seen nothing to suggest he can do what you say jinxy.
Mind you Bomber got Scarlett to change his game so it's not impossible, though he always had more natural ability to start with.

This year we have pretty much had a dream run with injuries, we need blokes like Thursfield who can if he is outside the best 22 step straight in to the team.

maybe they should try him up front, or in the midfield at coburg. not as a future position but to see if he can learn to attack. maybe.

lamb22 said:
I hope you are kidding Skip, or is Dowler the key forward Jack will play third tall to?
Well its a matter of keeping some kind of depth in our tall dept.Id only trade Thirsty for a player of similar Height and above.

thejinx said:
Thursty isn't bad by foot. He's just very reluctant to run and carry.

That's a good summary.

Personally, Thursfield is a handy FB of the same type as McGuane & Moore. And a well structured team usually only needs two of these types.

I've never faulted his skills but I have also been disappointed that he has never developed the 'running on' side of his game and seemed merely content to be a 'stopper'.

McGuane has been the one to develop both the defensive & attacking sides of his game, and as such has kicked ahead of Thursfield.

And, as many have said, Rance, Astbury, Gourdis et al are younger players pushing for the same spot.

Certainly a good depth player at present but should have taken that extra step to be in the best 18.

But he's 24yo now.
Should have clicked by now.

Big Cat Lover said:
Hope he turns out as good as his brother is going to be - then we can say we got the better Grimes along with the better Reiwoldt ;)

and the better morton? :-\