What went wrong in the last 15 minutes? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What went wrong in the last 15 minutes?

geoffryprettyboy

Tiger Legend
Apr 8, 2004
Listening to Hardwick's post match conference he mentions twice that the last 15 to 20 minutes fadeout was partly due to our player's mentality.

I know that he is onto some of the players that are not switched on when the going gets tough, one of those I have mentioned is Tambling and I was questioned by Brodders17 who was supported by Disco08 on the Tambling thread.

I know it will be a learning curve for a lot of our younger players but it's the same old mentally weak concern from them even way before Hardwick.

Another concern is the fitness of our players, they cannot run out games and are getting fatigued.

What really happened in the last 15 mintues that caused our players to roll over?

geoffryprettyboy said:
I know that he is onto some of the players that are not switched on when the going gets tough, one of those I have mentioned is Tambling and I was questioned by Brodders17 who was supported by Disco08 on the Tambling thread.

:cutelaugh

11 of our 22 players yesterday were drafted over the last 3 years. It takes longer than that to build a tank in most cases. What chance do you have when half the team's knackered?

Boys playing men.

Good football playing boys will keep up with men for about 3/4 of the game but when you are constantly bashing a lighter frame against an older tougher frame it takes it toll - both physically and mentally.

The bigger tougher more seasoned bodies will always win out over the distance.

It is for this reason that I fear we may not win a game this year as most of our young guns cannot run out a full game - our older experienced players never have had the ability to win a game off their own boot or through on-field leadership.

Further - our young guns come July August will be exhausted from the length of an AFL season that they will fade then too - it happens to all young payers - they just cannot run out a full season.

The positive of this is that when these young players do have the physical and mental attributes to run out a whole game and a whole season in 2011/12 we will be lauded as the club that came back from the football dead to play finals. Until then for us supporters it is a case of grin and bear it.......RT

Disco08 said:
:cutelaugh

11 of our 22 players yesterday were drafted over the last 3 years. It takes longer than that to build a tank in most cases. What chance do you have when half the team's knackered?

That sounds like an excuse, Scully in his first season gathered a lazy 18 possessions in the last quarter on a wet track.

Chocco said:
That sounds like an excuse, Scully in his first season gathered a lazy 18 possessions in the last quarter on a wet track.

Not too many Scully's around in the competition though.

Chocco said:

Yes, In the first 7 rounds, come the second half of the season, he will drop off

RemoteTiger said:
Boys playing men.

That's it, in a nutshell.

50 points hurts but we were never going to win if it was close unless Adelaide imploded. Our kids don't know who to stop a team on a roll. Confused, unsure of themselves and lacked on-field leadership with experience.

Last week we stayed in the match until 1/2 time. This week was 3/4 time. First couple of round we had lost it in the first quarter.

There is improvement there. We will win a match or two this season, but it'll be at the back end and probably against a team with nothing to play for.

Some of the older players are starting to show that they want to be there (Edwards for example). Others I wonder if it's time to just cut our losses (Tambling)

Chocco said:
Scully in his first season gathered a lazy 18 possessions in the last quarter on a wet track.

also had 8 turnovers most by any player on the ground, efficiency in the 50's....grant that he is only 18 but 8 turnovers is huge even if u get the ball 30+ times

Its easy to focus on the kids not running a game out but that should be expected all things considered.

What I focused on was the amount of pressure the side was applying early in the game (which was good) and
how that would effect us after the main break.

If we could have applied score board pressure in the 3rd qtr , I wonder how the side would have finished the game off.

Hell no one likes losing but there were positives from last nights game.

Chocco said:

One quarter by one players doesn't prove anything. As Bob says, Scully is a standout and aren't relying on him the way we're relying on Martin and Cotchin.

Baloo said:
That's it, in a nutshell.

50 points hurts but we were never going to win if it was close unless Adelaide imploded. Our kids don't know who to stop a team on a roll. Confused, unsure of themselves and lacked on-field leadership with experience.

Last week we stayed in the match until 1/2 time. This week was 3/4 time. First couple of round we had lost it in the first quarter.

There is improvement there. We will win a match or two this season, but it'll be at the back end and probably against a team with nothing to play for.

Some of the older players are starting to show that they want to be there (Edwards for example). Others I wonder if it's time to just cut our losses (Tambling)

I think the problem is structural. All night we were killed in the clearances because our ruckman could not get his hands on the ball. The flood gates were always going to open. Our forward line is tiny. Two of Graham, Browne and Simmonds must play. I don't care if they are not getting a touch at Coburg. Put them in. Why else are they on the list? If they can't play we look elsewhere in the next draft. Put Vickery in a forward pocket to develop. Forward talls to be Polak, Riewoldt and one other, possibly Moore or most probably Morton.

AstuteTiger said:
also had 8 turnovers most by any player on the ground, efficiency in the 50's....grant that he is only 18 but 8 turnovers is huge even if u get the ball 30+ times

Percentage-wise his turnovers were less than other players in similar roles. The other newbie Trengove actually had a shocker in this respect. Also consider they were playing in the wet where you'd expect more turnovers. Scully's game was simply outstanding. However, he has at times struggled to run it out in his first few games and one player's ability to run out a game doesn't equate to all youngsters having the same ability. In fact it does take most youngsters quite a bit of time to get to the fitness level required to sustain the kncoks you get in AFL footy and continue to run it out for a whole game. Some players never attain this ability.

Baloo said:

I think we stayed in the game last week against Geelong for about 1/2 of the first minute.

Baloo said:

Yep sure is a pattern forming and the light is getting bright from the tunnel.

monteath said:
I think the problem is structural. All night we were killed in the clearances because our ruckman could not get his hands on the ball. The flood gates were always going to open. Our forward line is tiny. Two of Graham, Browne and Simmonds must play. I don't care if they are not getting a touch at Coburg. Put them in. Why else are they on the list? If they can't play we look elsewhere in the next draft. Put Vickery in a forward pocket to develop. Forward talls to be Polak, Riewoldt and one other, possibly Moore or most probably Morton.
totally agree, Bruce.

Three things kill us every week this season: poor ruckwork, lack of tall forward targets and diabolical point kick out stategies.

Desperate tackling only gets a team so far. Surely Lade is teaching that useless Gus a few tricks. Put him or Browne in the firsts FFS.

People blaming fitness ::)

If anything we should of had more legs considering the age of some of the Crows players.

It was just a typical RFC loss, going gets tough in the last quarter and we go missing.

I don't agree with the view of boys against men and lack of pre-seasons as the main reasons. Being less strong and less fit should not result in our 1 goal to their 10 in the last half, there is more to it. The last quarter wasn't a fade out it was a complete surrender.

I think Hardwick is right when he talked about mental toughness, this team is pathetic in this area and has been since John Northey was coach. We can only prey that some of our young guns will be the mentally toughest players going around, they will need to be to change the losing culture we have at the moment.

IrockZ said:
People blaming fitness ::)

If anything we should of had more legs considering the age of some of the Crows players.

It was just a typical RFC loss, going gets tough in the last quarter and we go missing.

You need to stop listening to whatever crap designed to make us look bad, spews forth from of Healy's mouth partner. Adelaide were always going to overrun our kids with their bigger bodies, better skills and far greater experience. A highly rated side before the season started , Top 4 last year, at home and just as desperate as us. We did well to still be in it for as long as we were. Best effort so far this year by some margin.