What is the priority trait of recruiting players we need? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What is the priority trait of recruiting players we need?

What is the most important attribute we should look for in our recruits

• Total voters
Leadership has not been mentioned but Essendon is full of fast classy players but when the game is on the line many of them fail Gold Coast is another example.

Our recruiting team used to target captains of state teams or Tac teams so why not go back to the well.

You see Hawthorn who handball forward to guys facing forward who can continue running towards goals and that makes them be a speedy team.
It makes a huge difference when you consider the Dawks' side yesterday wasn't particularly gifted with leg speed.

1. Character

daylight

The last time we slipped off the ladder, we traded a 3rd rounder for 22yo Houli & Grigg.

Houli was a PSD wasn't he? Essendon refused to trade.
Yep, Houli was psd and Grigg was a straight swap for Andy Collins so I’m not sure where trading a 3rd rounder for Grigg and Houli comes from.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, Houli was psd and Grigg was a straight swap for Andy Collins so I’m not sure where trading a 3rd rounder for Grigg and Houli comes from.

We originally offered a 3rd rounder for Houli, so I guess that's what I was remembering.

But the point is we had a smart approach to go into that trade period targeting two young leaders (22yos) armed with a 3rd rounder and a depth player. The modern equivalent would be to come to the table with a 3rd rounder and Cumberland for two young players with good character as their standout trait.

Although I suppose character is more valued across the competition compared to 2010, so maybe it's less of a moneyball trait now?

We originally offered a 3rd rounder for Houli, so I guess that's what I was remembering.

But the point is we had a smart approach to go into that trade period targeting two young leaders (22yos) armed with a 3rd rounder and a depth player. The modern equivalent would be to come to the table with a 3rd rounder and Cumberland for two young players with good character as their standout trait.

Although I suppose character is more valued across the competition compared to 2010, so maybe it's less of a moneyball trait now?
We offered a 3rd rounder, Dodo wanted more, so he went into the psd and we got him for nothing. From memory we offered Will Thursfield for Grigg and Carlton laughed at us. We settled on Andy Collins.

Reactions: 1 user
You're comparing Noah Cumberland to Andy Collins?? :ROFLMAO:
That will go down well!

You're comparing Noah Cumberland to Andy Collins?? :ROFLMAO:
That will go down well!

Purely because Andy had a matchwinning game up forward that increased his value before losing his spot in the team, so Cumberland was the closest player I could think of in that category even not a perfect fit