What is the priority trait of recruiting players we need? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What is the priority trait of recruiting players we need?

What is the most important attribute we should look for in our recruits

• Total voters

tigertough

Tiger Rookie
Dec 18, 2002
Obviously we would prefer all the above but want is the most importance. For me we need skills

Reactions: 1 user
Skills can compensate a fair bit for speed, but footy intelligence is very important. Very hard to pick but our skills are too woeful so that's what I went for.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, skills. If you’ve got skilled players across the park who can deliver the ball to a teammate (and not over their head, or 5 metres in front of them) it can make you look fast.

jarryd Okley Nicholls had speed

ben Lennon had skills

Mark Neeld had footy IQ.

Obviously we do need quick, smart, tough, competitive footballers, who can kick.

sorry to spoil the ternary, but I simply can't separate em.

But, in the spirit of participation, and given we are allegedly shopping around our last few quick players,

ill say speed.

Last edited:
All of the above as in the modern game one is insufficient. You may survive with two.

Competitiveness. Daylight is next.

There is a long history of ultra competitive players with so so skills forging respectable careers. Not so much the other way though. You only need to see our own recruiting over the last decade or so to see examples of this.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
All of the above as in the modern game one is insufficient. You may survive with two.

agree. The State leagues are choccas with blokes missing one of these 3 qualities.

choccas

jarryd Okley Nicholls had speed

ben Lennon had skills

Mark Neeld had footy IQ.

Obviously we do need quick, smart, tough, competitive footballers, who can kick.

sorry to spoil the ternary, but I simply can't separate em.

But, in the spirit of participation, and given we are allegedly shopping around our last few quick players,

ill say speed.
Agree with this "Obviously we do need quick, smart, tough, competitive footballers, who can kick."

Diesel Williams couldn't run out of sight on a dark night though.

A skilled pacy player should be the target.

Competitor.
Intelligence.
Skills.
Speed.
Obviously the more of these the better, coz then players start entering champion status. But at the elite level of competition the first requirement must be a want to compete against opponents and contest for the ball, even compete against ones own level of performance to try and improve year in year out. Without the desire and risk to compete the other 3 factors are irrelevant.

This is right. A high footy iq is a must, combine that with skill and you’ve got a player. Dusty had all 3. Cotchin and Jack weren’t quick, but they were smart and knew how to use the ball.

We need slow dumb skills. Errrr. We need fast smart hacks. Errr. We need slow smart hacks. Errr. The only one that is maybe a negotiable is speed. Greg Williams was slow. And skills means what? Darren Jarman? Is Kamdyn Mac skill acceptable? There's a lot of players in this draft who are not super quick. They look like pretty good players though. But there's a few who are quick and have above ave skills. You can only rank them as you see fit and hope they are available.

Whatever your players have that made them AFL footy players, you play them to their strengths, and you'll find their strengths are what you need.

But yeah. Winner brains first.

Yep, skills. If you’ve got skilled players across the park who can deliver the ball to a teammate (and not over their head, or 5 metres in front of them) it can make you look fast.

Less worried about 5 metres in front of them, the way we pass to stationary players drives me crazy. We also need players who can make 5m of space and run fast enough to receive the ball.

Yep, we have a lot of needs.

DS

Less worried about 5 metres in front of them, the way we pass to stationary players drives me crazy. We also need players who can make 5m of space and run fast enough to receive the ball.

Yep, we have a lot of needs.

DS
Agreed David. Handballing to stationary players OR players with their backs to goals who then have to slow things down by navigating their way around to turn to face goals is frustrating. You see Hawthorn who handball forward to guys facing forward who can continue running towards goals and that makes them be a speedy team.

Reactions: 2 users