What are we developing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What are we developing

Barnzy said:
Wouldn't you just love if Richmond were no longer around, although what fan forum would you troll? You must actually go visit a Hawthorn one heaven forbid!

Unlucky for you Richmond won't be going anywhere. Despite a poor year last year and prediction of more pain we have signed over 41,000 members. As for your point on sponsors, well they're still going strong and there's no signs of them wanting out, in fact we just signed up another new one today so there goes your theory of sponsors not wanting to be associated with a "laughing stock".

Unlucky him or unlucky us? ???

IanG said:
Club won't be here. I really think this current administration is our last chance.

This is a strange almost stupid statement - we have a amazing strong long suffering supporter base which returns significant membership numbers and money - it is when this supporter base is weak when you get in trouble if constantly unsuccessful.

You know it took 24 years from our 1943 premiership before we won another - then we won 5 over 13 years (we were in 7 over 15 years) and recognised as the powerhouse of the time. This just shows you should never lose hope - it is the strength of supporter base that determines whether a club can see through an extended time of lack of success. We have that strength.

Spanish Prisoner said:
It is not about the AFL letting the club die, it is about members and sponsors. If the club remains cellar dwellers, why would the sponsors want to be associated with a laughing stock?

No need to worry about that SP, some good news for you to rejoice in.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/93675/default.aspx

I just hope they use some of that power and gas to kickstart the team. ;D

I know I am developing a thicker skin.

Nonetheless, if one more person sends me the email about the kid that wants the Tigers to look after him......arrrrrrrrrrggggghhhh!!!!!!

keepa lids onit said:
so again i go back to my original question. over the years what are we developing?? midfielders midfielders and ........
(u dont win premierships with small midfielders!!!)

Positional play is all but obsolete. There aren't any true CHB's or CHF's these days, and the number of key forwards capable of kicking a semi-regular bag of goals seems to decline by the year. The Dogs have reached successive prelims without a tall forward of note.

Exactly what Hardwick is trying to build isn't yet apparent, but I imagine a distinct style of play will emerge, with the team mutually committed to it, rather than a traditional structure built around a handful of key players.

geoffryprettyboy said:
I agree, no man or his dog will want to touch our club if we fail again under the Gale, Cameron, Hardwick, Hartley, & let's throw March in the there for good measure, regime. However if we get back on our feet and show some signs of life then go back to the same old rotten, pathetic, no hope of a club again then it'll have to be good night Irene.

Won't happen. There will always be someone willing, ready and (possibly) able to bring success back to the club. It might take 5, 10, 20, or 50 years, but this club will be on top again. No doubt about it.

cagedtiger said:
This is a strange almost stupid statement - we have a amazing strong long suffering supporter base which returns significant membership numbers and money -

For how long though. Its been 30 years of failure plus continual poor decisions for the last 10 years, plus an extremely poor list currently. Bear in mind I'm talking 3 years in the future here. How long before the younger generation loses hope and we're not bringing new members in?

basically what you are saying is we dont have enough quality talls.....this was debated at length pre and post draft
where are all the clubs back slappers now when our smalls are still *smile* and our talls are worse
we are getting monstered on the ground by bigger guys, the good smalls that we have will be smashed and broken by the time any talls come on

So the answer was to draft more young talls, only to see them in Coburg 1s and 2s developing? It wouldn't have helped at all this season. Our mids would still be smashed before any of the extra young talent you wanted to draft become quality, AFL ready players!

Drafting Bradshaw as a solution would've been short term planning as well, just like the mistakes of Kingsley et al, as we're after long term development of kids.

Tango said:
basically what you are saying is we dont have enough quality talls.....this was debated at length pre and post draft

Yes and as we discussed then it was better long term to stack up on quality talls over 2 years not 1. If we don't get a number of talls this year I will be on your side.

only tall improving is riewoldt. all the rest have gone backwards the last few years. even this year they are still goin backwards (maguane, moore thursty, angus, post, patto-gone, other young ruck?-gone, shultz-gone etc) where is gourdis 4 years? later, still learning his trade? we cant develop shiyte!

Live by it or Die by it

We have been saying this for ages, we dont have people that can recruit properly. How can we get it WRONG so many times over so many years. HTF can we?????????????????????
Why is it I can see players that we shouldn't have recruited and we did and other teams get players I thought were good pickups.

We need a CHB, CHF, FF, Ruck, skillful players.

Edit - don't avoid the swear filter

Re: Live by it or Die by it

RUNVS said:
We have been saying this for ages, we dont have people that can recruit properly. How can we get it WRONG so many times over so many years. HTF can we?????????????????????
Why is it I can see players that we shouldn't have recruited and we did and other teams get players I thought were good pickups.

We need a CHB, CHF, FF, Ruck, skillful players.

Edit - don't avoid the swear filter
I'm sure the club went on and on during draft time they they had recruited elite kicks and decision makers this year!!! Maybe they were talking about Coburgs inclusions as im yet to see any elite kicks or decision makers. Martin doesn't count as he was a given to go at 3.