What are we developing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What are we developing

keepa lids onit

Medal number 1, 2 & 3
May 13, 2005
got this from watchin 01 rich v dogs on foxtel, and made an observation.
in that game i saw: roaming CHF in richo, FF (come ruck) in Ottens (kicked 5 goals i believe), a FB in gaspar, a developing CHB in holland, a quarterback/playmaker in cameron (and also bowden with good skills), a proper ruck in B Gale. then we have the usual smalls, mids rotating with FP, BP, flankers etc.

this made me think what do we have now, and what have we been working on developing the last few years???

we have no FB, nor anyone who is constantly played in this position to try and develop/learn the position to become our FB. (thirsty is closest but even he gets move around)

we have no CHB. (maguane moore thursty post polak have all been played here, no one ever settled here to develop)

CHF (riewoldt has been given this opportunity and has been left there in the team to learn this position) :fing32

no FF. (to many to mention who have gone thru this posi, but again no one ever settled here and been told ur our FF this year, lets see u learn and develop)

Ruck (apart from vickery this year and part of last year again no one really. angus was given a chance but now been dropped for simmo ??? )

playmaker HBF (ala leon cameron in 01). someone who is designated kicker, sets up play and our forward forays with his elite kicking skills.

so again i go back to my original question. over the years what are we developing?? midfielders midfielders and ........
(u dont win premierships with small midfielders!!!)

I think Deludio will develop into a Cameron type and can be just as damaging. I would love to see how damaging he would be with a good list around him.

i know ive mainly used KP spots to demonstrate my point, but its not just KP were lacking.

as stated a quarterback/playmaker of HBF with elite skills to set up play.
a BP who can hold a milne and those types. even a good goal sneak FP, (carlton all of a sudden have 3). we have no specific types, or developed players into specific roles. tambo was plaing a hb role, then he moeves to hf role, edwards was hf now hes a hb (stopper, playmaker? and or/neither?) post goes back then fwd then outta team, astbury starts fwd, then moves back, polak has been all over the place, rance is also all over the place....
where is the plan? where is the structure? where is the specific development of players into positions???

keepa lids onit said:
i know ive mainly used KP spots to demonstrate my point, but its not just KP were lacking.

as stated a quarterback/playmaker of HBF with elite skills to set up play.
a BP who can hold a milne and those types. even a good goal sneak FP, (carlton all of a sudden have 3). we have no specific types, or developed players into specific roles. tambo was plaing a hb role, then he moeves to hf role, edwards was hf now hes a hb (stopper, playmaker? and or/neither?) post goes back then fwd then outta team, astbury starts fwd, then moves back, polak has been all over the place, rance is also all over the place....
where is the plan? where is the structure? where is the specific development of players into positions???

Q/back: Lids
BP: Farmer
Goal Sneak: Nahas, Roberts

The others have development but sometimes needs change during games. The modern player has to be flexible.

This is just rehashing old issues

No money means no resources, no resources means poor recruiting and no development.

Add this together with a series of coaches who looked after themselves first and foremost and you have our current playing list.

Plus we as a club which continued to be stuck with a seventies and eighties management style while the game turned from semi professional to professional.

geoffryprettyboy said:
We are trying to develop a team. God help the club if they stuff this up.

Club won't be here. I really think this current administration is our last chance.

IanG said:
Club won't be here. I really think this current administration is our last chance.

I agree, no man or his dog will want to touch our club if we fail again under the Gale, Cameron, Hardwick, Hartley, & let's throw March in the there for good measure, regime. However if we get back on our feet and show some signs of life then go back to the same old rotten, pathetic, no hope of a club again then it'll have to be good night Irene.

Mappa said:
There is no way that the AFL will ever let Richmond die!!!

Well they should give us priority picks next year and a favourable draw. I do have faith in Gale, Hardwick and Co. though.

geoffryprettyboy said:
I agree, no man or his dog will want to touch our club if we fail again under the Gale, Cameron, Hardwick, Hartley, & let's throw March in the there for good measure, regime. However if we get back on our feet and show some signs of life then go back to the same old rotten, pathetic, no hope of a club again then it'll have to be good night Irene.

they wont let us die, but we will destroy ourselves and they will have no option or say in the matter...
i too agree. this is our last chance. personally if we fail aagain it will take a huge toll on me and my support for this club. how much can we take really??

....Punt Road Oval ;D

But seriously what is with the defeatist attitude
If we fall over again then we get up, dust ourselves off and start again

IanG said:

For once Ian agree with you.

Mappa said:
There is no way that the AFL will ever let Richmond die!!!

It is not about the AFL letting the club die, it is about members and sponsors. If the club remains cellar dwellers, why would the sponsors want to be associated with a laughing stock?

IanG said:
Well they should give us priority picks next year and a favourable draw.

I have two issues with this:
1. as a proud club would Gale and co want to beg for special consideration; and
2. it simply WON'T happen - all advantage will go to the new shiny brands.

Spanish Prisoner said:
It is not about the AFL letting the club die, it is about members and sponsors. If the club remains cellar dwellers, why would the sponsors want to be associated with a laughing stock?

Have you noticed any actual decline in sponsorships and memberships to back that up? Far from nearing extinction due to our poor on-field performances I think we're in a stronger off-field position than we've been in for years.

Spanish Prisoner said:

Wouldn't you just love if Richmond were no longer around, although what fan forum would you troll? You must actually go visit a Hawthorn one heaven forbid!

Unlucky for you Richmond won't be going anywhere. Despite a poor year last year and prediction of more pain we have signed over 41,000 members. As for your point on sponsors, well they're still going strong and there's no signs of them wanting out, in fact we just signed up another new one today so there goes your theory of sponsors not wanting to be associated with a "laughing stock".

IanG said:
Well they should give us priority picks next year and a favourable draw. I do have faith in Gale, Hardwick and Co. though.
and why not have us play in the VFL,as well ::)

keepa lids onit said:
they wont let us die, but we will destroy ourselves and they will have no option or say in the matter...

They'll probably ship us off to Tassie.

Spanish Prisoner said:

Meh you'll still have Buddy and Clarko.

keepa lids onit said:
personally if we fail aagain it will take a huge toll on me and my support for this club. how much can we take really??

If a failer does occur I would only hope that the debt is wiped out before it happens. The club will always have a strong nucleus of supporters but may struggle to be up there as we are today. Anyway, no point thinking of the worst case scenario just yet, we are at the embryo stage of our new era and we must be patient with the plan ahead, if it doesn't work out we become feral, that's not hard to do.