We should not be scared of free agency | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

We should not be scared of free agency

Ridley said:
Some reasonable points there Scoop but you're probably missing one key point about those "fringe" players. Free agency is only applicable to those that have played 8 seasons with one club. Most clubs (maybe not RFC :p) would have weeded out those types well before 8 years comes up.

In any case, it seems many are thinking that FA will allow RFC to attract the guns of the competition. I can't see that happening.

That is the problem with this model IMO. The only guys who will take advantage of free agency are those who are good enough to stick on a list for 8 years. That is not going to be of that much use to anyone trying to build long term, only to a team trying to exploit the opportunity at the time to win a flag. Some players will come up, but not that many.

If the AFL was really serious about FA, they would have adopted the NFL model IMO. The NFL have been refining their model for years, and have both restricted and unrestricted free agency, as well as tags that can be applied to certain players in certain situations.

I certainly believe that the AFL model should have included a Restricted Free Agent component that allows rival clubs to offer a contract to a younger player, which the player's current club can match if they want to keep the player.

But regardless, my take on the whole Free Agency thing is this.......

1. The AFL has agreed to a form of Free Agency that they know will still be very restrictive on player movements outside trading or drafting. They have only offered this model to keep the peace with the Players Association.
2. The Players Association have agreed to the model, with its shortcomings, because it is all the AFL has offered and they want to look they are doing something for the players. I would suggest that the Players Association has got legal advice that the AFL is not in breach of the Restraint of Trade laws regarding employment, and would not win if they went to court. So this agreement is a way of saving face.

TOT70 said:
There is a real opportunity for a smart operator to identify potential targets and ramp up the pressure on a couple of sitting ducks.

I'm with you on this TOT70. Whilst points made by others as to whether the RFC is an attractive place for prospective targets has some merit, the 1st and foremost issue is having room in the salary cap. Buggered if I know who we're paying at Tigerland, but I wouldn't think it would be too hard to clear plenty of room within the cap to land a couple of real good players. If not, at least we'll ensure our competitors TPPs is bursting at the seams - soften them up for another crack maybe.

I see free agency as our salvation. The RFC MUST use this tool in conjuction with some smart drafting if we are to get anywhere near our 2020 vision.

great thread, i really enjoyed reading that.. my 2 cents.. i personally wouldn't go with the strategy of going for any free agents that are fringe players as some have described.. this has to be for the best.. we go for players at clubs that are in their top 10, maybe not the franchise players but the next tier down that are very good players but not on the big bigs because the 2,3 franchise players are hogging the salary cap.. to go with the hawks example, I am thinking players like roughead/rioli.. who wouldn't be on the same bucks as a buddy/hodge/mitchell

As`a club we should be looking at players now.
Lets face we are not going to get players from clubs in the top 6 that are getting agame.
It will be players from the bottom clubs that we have to go after and player from out side of Victoria that want to go home.

tiger12 said:
I'm with you on this TOT70. Whilst points made by others as to whether the RFC is an attractive place for prospective targets has some merit, the 1st and foremost issue is having room in the salary cap. Buggered if I know who we're paying at Tigerland, but I wouldn't think it would be too hard to clear plenty of room within the cap to land a couple of real good players. If not, at least we'll ensure our competitors TPPs is bursting at the seams - soften them up for another crack maybe.

I see free agency as our salvation. The RFC MUST use this tool in conjuction with some smart drafting if we are to get anywhere near our 2020 vision.

Agreed. Fortunately with Gale's experience in the area I think we will.

Could be a similar situation to North Melbourne in the 70's.
Jumped in ahead of everyone else and signed up a premiership team from other clubs.
Players they signed were very similar to the new free agents in terms of age and experience.