Wallace's flankers? they're back ... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Wallace's flankers? they're back ...

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
We need a ruckman but I reckon our list is taking on a very exciting shape. A Terry Wallace shape.

The absence of a monster ruck will mean we play a running half back game similar to what we rolled out in around Round 7 this year. We did get some ballast to protect Cotchin and Miles in the form of Townsend, Marcon and perhaps A. Moore, but which of those guys will step up like Lambert did this year?

The truth is that we will lose contested ball as often as we did this year. But that won't matter. This is why:

Yarran
Menadue
Houli
Castagna
Drummond
(Markov)
(Broad)
(Moore)

Our skillful run off half back is going to eviscerate most teams. Not only do I expect us to restrict opposition scoring like we did so well in 2016, I expect our transition to feature a combination of pass up play and hard gut running into space.

The problem for Dimma previously was that allowing guys to run means that you need guys up the field who can read the play. Hard running off half back is hard to read. These guys can run into dead ends, they can cut unexpected angles, they can simply run out of puff.

We also haven't really dared to put men too far forward of the ball in the past (but that's another story, children).

Now we have guys that can make the best of a 50/50 situation in Lennon, McBean, Lloyd, Rioli, to go along with natural football geniuses like Riewoldt and Deledio.

How's this for a dynamic back six:

Menadue Chaplin Grimes
Yarran Rance Castagna

I expect that to be rolled out in the second half of next year. Batch out. Hunt out. Houli up the ground or out. Vlastuin will obviously play back but might get time in the middle too.

The seeds of evidence can be found in the recruitment of guys like Callum Moore from the rookie draft and Nathan Broad from the national draft. These guys may take time but they can run and they can kick to advantage extremely well.

We'll have running types who can kick the ball pushing through for the next 5/6 years. It's Wallace's flankers all over again.

Except this time we might actually be on trend.

Our younger squad

FB: Castagna Elton Broad
Hb: Vlastuin ------ Drummond
C: ------- Mcintosh Menadue
CHF: C Ellis Mckenzie Lennon
FF: Rioli McBean C Moore
Rk: Chol Townsend B Ellis
I/c. Soldo Markov butler short

that's our under 23 squad next year.
20 players. 13 ND, 6 rookies, 1 x-giant
IMO we should prioritise a CHB and a tall express midfielder.

That team has a good amount of speed, power running, skills and x-factor.

Carter said:
We need a ruckman but I reckon our list is taking on a very exciting shape. A Terry Wallace shape.

The absence of a monster ruck will mean we play a running half back game similar to what we rolled out in around Round 7 this year. We did get some ballast to protect Cotchin and Miles in the form of Townsend, Marcon and perhaps A. Moore, but which of those guys will step up like Lambert did this year?

The truth is that we will lose contested ball as often as we did this year. But that won't matter. This is why:

Yarran
Menadue
Houli
Castagna
Drummond
(Markov)
(Broad)
(Moore)

Our skillful run off half back is going to eviscerate most teams. Not only do I expect us to restrict opposition scoring like we did so well in 2016, I expect our transition to feature a combination of pass up play and hard gut running into space.

The problem for Dimma previously was that allowing guys to run means that you need guys up the field who can read the play. Hard running off half back is hard to read. These guys can run into dead ends, they can cut unexpected angles, they can simply run out of puff.

We also haven't really dared to put men too far forward of the ball in the past (but that's another story, children).

Now we have guys that can make the best of a 50/50 situation in Lennon, McBean, Lloyd, Rioli, to go along with natural football geniuses like Riewoldt and Deledio.

How's this for a dynamic back six:

Menadue Chaplin Grimes
Yarran Rance Castagna
And where is Houli?

No way he gets left out of that back 6. Same goes with Vlastuin.

Menadue needs to play on a wing.

That back 6 would leak goals like a sieve.

Smoking Aces said:
And where is Houli?

No way he gets left out of that back 6. Same goes with Vlastuin.

Menadue needs to play on a wing.

That back 6 would leak goals like a sieve.

Vlastuin will probably play back Aces, no doubt.

That back six is speculative at best but i like the cut of its jib.

TigerMasochist said:
Lol.

Both Castagna n Menadue off the back line? Highly unlikely just yet.

Which is kinda why they won't roll them out in round 1.

A year is a long time in footy.

As is a pre season.

Could I suggest these changes. Extra players needed for the I/C but let's get a team on the ground. CMoore played some defence in TAC I believe and with his kicking, might be better down back than in front of goal; can employ his running power too. Chol perfect for resting ruck/forward with his spring, good hands and neat kicking. I'd swap the two Macs as KFs too; believe McBean is the more mobile and versatile to play up the ground whereas McKenzie will be the 'monster in the square' type, not to say they couldn't mix it up at times. Could add Lambert and Marcon to bench perhaps as still young players, as is Miles.
But definitely a lot of promise with these tiger cubs on the list now.

HB: Vlastuin C Moore Drummond
C: Markov Mcintosh Menadue
HF: C Ellis McBean Lennon
FF: Rioli Mckenzie Chol
RK: Soldo, Townsend, B Ellis
I/C. Butler / Short

Castagna. Great runner of the ball but one of the worst kicks in our squad along with C Moore and Hampson and you want him in the team off half back? Maybe he'll improve over the pre season but its gonna take awhile me thinks.

I don't necessarily agree with all the names but I agree with the sentiment that Carter is putting forward. It is the transition that is happening to our team that is largely going unnoticed. For 2 years we have recruited for this process , a team of hard running athletic mids and Backs complimented by some inside grunt.

My feeling is that Carter is right that our best 22 at the end of 2016 will look quite different to the one we ended 2015 with.

The forward line will function better because the ball will come in faster and that is harder to defend

Same here don't agree with all the names but i think the hypothesis has merit.

Sounds like an exciting strategy without giving up the defensive ability we now possess

Well summed up Carter

Sintiger said:
I don't necessarily agree with all the names but I agree with the sentiment that Carter is putting forward. It is the transition that is happening to our team that is largely going unnoticed. For 2 years we have recruited for this process , a team of hard running athletic mids and Backs complimented by some inside grunt.

My feeling is that Carter is right that our best 22 at the end of 2016 will look quite different to the one we ended 2015 with.

The forward line will function better because the ball will come in faster and that is harder to defend

Yep, there's a definite trend occurring Sin.

Who knows, for the 2016 draft we may come full circle and give away a good pick for a ruckman and / or recruit more porridge for the packs.

blx said:
Castagna. Great runner of the ball but one of the worst kicks in our squad along with C Moore and Hampson and you want him in the team off half back? Maybe he'll improve over the pre season but its gonna take awhile me thinks.

Castagna will surprise blx. His kicking can be errant but I think that's mostly a function of the lack of poise that young guys can have.

Multiple pre seasons and better conditioning will improve that aspect out of sight.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Our younger squad

Hb: Vlastuin ------ Drummond
C: ------- Mcintosh Menadue
CHF: C Ellis Mckenzie Lennon
FF: Rioli McBean C Moore
Rk: Chol Townsend B Ellis
I/c. Soldo Markov butler short

that's our under 23 squad next year.
20 players. 13 ND, 6 rookies, 1 x-giant
IMO we should prioritise a CHB and a tall express midfielder.

That team has a good amount of speed, power running, skills and x-factor.

Can't argue with any of that Dirty :)

Mappa said:
Same here don't agree with all the names but i think the hypothesis has merit.

Sounds like an exciting strategy without giving up the defensive ability we now possess

Well summed up Carter

thanks Mappa, Castagna and Menadue in particular will shine at stages next year.