Uncontested Football | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Uncontested Football

Danog said:
Hardwick did say On the Couch a week ago that we needed outside runners. Maybe Bennell will become a Tiger at the draft. Whatever the case, we need to target tall midfielders and rucks.

You're right about the hard running outside midfield type. Gaff is the one we need from the sound of it. We also need KPPs that can play defense as well though.

My thoughts on the major difference between the two teams was the level of fitness which gave the Saints the edge in the uncontested footy.
It seemed that the Saints just ran all night to open positions, and the young tiges just did not have the legs.
One more good solid pre-season should see us keep up I reckon.

i'd be devo if we traded or used pick 4 on strictly an outside mid flanker. there aren't many elite mids that play outside, maybe dal santo and lids. they'd need to have eg elite skills, endurance, decision making to warrant being taken at 4

id also like to think we wouldn't make that mistake so early in a rebuild. best available always

LidsBling&Cotch said:
i'd be devo if we traded or used pick 4 on strictly an outside mid flanker. there aren't many elite mids that play outside, maybe dal santo and lids. they'd need to have eg elite skills, endurance, decision making to warrant being taken at 4

id also like to think we wouldn't make that mistake so early in a rebuild. best available always
Yep always best available for the top 20 picks.

The perfect guys are those that are good inside and out- Goddard, Hodge, Pavlich, Lids, Chapman, Gibbs (to some extent).

evo said:
Yep always best available for the top 20 picks.

The perfect guys are those that are good inside and out- Goddard, Hodge, Pavlich, Lids, Chapman, Gibbs (to some extent).

if the guy can play tall like BJ, hodge pav etc then you do take them that early

Agree that you always go best available, even in the first 30+picks.

Bennell though fits the profile perfectly. Unfortunately at this stage it appears he will be gone before pick 4.

As an aside leysy's not sure we're locked into that pick yet.

Very good chance we'll go past a horrible West Coast outfit before the years out.

How Worsfold & there dud recruiting mgr Woodhouse are still in a job is beyond leysy.

Leysy Days said:
Very good chance we'll go past a horrible West Coast outfit before the years out.

How Worsfold & there dud recruiting mgr Woodhouse are still in a job is beyond leysy.

Very young team and ultra-tall. Some of their supporters are getting antsy, but they're not that much further advanced than us in terms of development.

dont think there any further advanced at all actually ltrtr.

Wouldnt swap lists. No way.

Uncontested possessions were a much better predictor of ladder position than contested posessions until the Wallace era and the Bowden Brothers waxing across half back. A better measure for clubs now would be uncontested posessions forward of half back where you are opening up the opposition.

A lot of attention has been paid to disposal on this site for many years, but our presentation has been as bad if not worse which is a big cause of poor disposal. Richo, may he retire in peace, was not a very good lead until late in his career he lead too early, too fast and too wide and quite simply he was very often extremely hard to hit.

That's what is annoying about Tambling, with his pace he should be a spacemaker across the wings and half back. For all his critics White is probably the best we have in the team to create a release lead around the wing/half back area that is easy to kick to.

Leysy Days said:
Fully agree with Smoking.

We are in serious need of quality flankers & outside mids.

Needs to be he major focus come draft day.

I'd rather a CHB as we don't have anyone at present who really fits the bill (wish Post could). Unbelievable that we need more flankers post Wallace

BladeTiger said:
I'd rather a CHB as we don't have anyone at present who really fits the bill (wish Post could). Unbelievable that we need more flankers post Wallace

Yes we are light on in that area. As we are all over the park, just in some places more than others.

Astbury does look an excellent bet back there there to leysy as well.

BladeTiger said:

We have Post, Astbury, Rance, Grimes and Gourdis, all of whom have still to be properly assessed as key position defenders. It is unnecessary to add another player to this list until at least the 2011 Draft period.

What we need is a couple of young ruckmen. Graham, Vickery and Browne will need additional support from next season and it is unlikely that all three will still be around in five years time. This should be a priority.

We also need to develop players who can fill the sort of roles that Montagna, Goddard, Fisher and Dal Santo play at St Kilda. I doubt that this level of run with poise is going to come from a first year player. Dal Santo was the only one of that quartet who was successful in this role right from the beginning of his career. The others all needed a few seasons to learn how to make good decisions under AFL pressure.

Personally, I would keep beefing up the inside ball-winners and continue to develop Deledio, Connors, Cotchin, Webberley, Nason and Martin as our "delivery inside-50" players. When Cotchin and Martin are being fed the ball by others, as well as getting it themselves, we will have a powerful engine room. Presently, many of their possessions are under ridiculous amounts of pressure and they are turning it over as much as anyone.

We traded away pick 19 for an outside mid/flanker a couple of years ago, and he can't get a game now!

I would target best available at pick 4, whether that be outside/inside, tall or short.

Bill James said:
That's what is annoying about Tambling, with his pace he should be a spacemaker across the wings and half back. For all his critics White is probably the best we have in the team to create a release lead around the wing/half back area that is easy to kick to.

Good observation! I'm not saying White's awareness and kicking are great, his best games usually involve him working into space, creating a release around the wing. (though it seems his work often goes unrewarded by team-mates)