Uncontested Football | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Uncontested Football

Smoking Aces

GOAT Week!
Sep 21, 2007
It seems we have no problem whatsoever in winning the hard contested football including clearances. Last night it was 123 108 in our favour for winning the contested footy with clearances going our way 41 to 27.

However we are getting smashed in the uncontested area. St. Kilda dominated that last night 297 to 188. They were able to get into open spaces more often allowing them to set up much better going into the forward 50.

Our inside midfielders are getting first use of the ball but we do not have those skillful outside running players who can capatalise on their good work. Hardwick was on the money when he said that was one area of our list that we need to urgently address.

The quality teams all have those quality outside midfielders who can run and carry the ball and set up play as they head forward. The Saints have Dal Santo and Montagna, The Dogs have Griffen, Higgins, Eagleton etc etc.

Thoughts??

I think it's also the way they structured up when the loose ball was there to be got, they seemed to get more numbers around the footy for support. I think/hope this will come for us in time, I also thought their bigger bodies really showed us up on top of their tackling pressure, unfortunately when we gathered some uncontested footy the corralled us really well and tackled hard to effect a turnover. I can't fault the guys endeavour last night, but as Hardwick has said before its the bad 10 mins where we get heavily scored against.

Tiger_4_Life said:
I think it's also the way they structured up when the loose ball was there to be got, they seemed to get more numbers around the footy for support. I think/hope this will come for us in time, I also thought their bigger bodies really showed us up on top of their tackling pressure, unfortunately when we gathered some uncontested footy the corralled us really well and tackled hard to effect a turnover. I can't fault the guys endeavour last night, but as Hardwick has said before its the bad 10 mins where we get heavily scored against.

I see it slightly differently. I reckon we have 3-4 absolute guns in close (Cotch, Martin, Tuck, Cousins). These guys are winning the ball, while our outside players (eg White, Nason, Tambling) are either not up to it or still in development. I think structurally, Connors is important down back as this frees Lids - our best outside player to use the ball.

lukeanddad said:
I see it slightly differently. I reckon we have 3-4 absolute guns in close (Cotch, Martin, Tuck, Cousins). These guys are winning the ball, while our outside players (eg White, Nason, Tambling) are either not up to it or still in development. I think structurally, Connors is important down back as this frees Lids - our best outside player to use the ball.

Agree with this explanation. Also seemed to run out of steam after the comeback - the minds were willing but the legs couldn't obey. Perhaps a legacy of last week's conditions.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Agree with this explanation. Also seemed to run out of steam after the comeback - the minds were willing but the legs couldn't obey. Perhaps a legacy of last week's conditions.

I don't know how you quantify this, but one consequence of our inefficient disposal is that we probably run more than others (to cover on the rebound. So, yes, the legs were probably sore; but exacerbated by the fact that we probably run a lot under normal conditions. Sadly, this is as much defensively as offensively.

lukeanddad said:
Good point about Connors. His return should allow for Lids to free up and play that link role through the midfield. However Lids has looked very comfortable in playing that quarter back role off half back. It allows him to be constantly involved in the game which is super important for us.

lukeanddad said:

Yeah good call....think we just need some more class into the team, Foley and Jacko coming back into the team can hopefully free up Cotch or Cuz to do this next week, Cotchy's efficiency was quite poor last night on account of the pressure I suppose? Tambling was playing down back for a fair bit of the night, his attack on the footy was great and I can say for sure that I've never seen him attack the footy more in the last 5 years than he has this year, Hardwick would be wrapped with this and if we cross our fingers and toes he may be able to add the class we need out of him.

Hardwick did say On the Couch a week ago that we needed outside runners. Maybe Bennell will become a Tiger at the draft. Whatever the case, we need to target tall midfielders and rucks.

Fully agree with Smoking.

We are in serious need of quality flankers & outside mids.

Needs to be he major focus come draft day.

The Saints seemed to always have 2 or 3 players outside the contest to release the ball to. We seemed to have every player go to the contest and then have no options when we win the ball in tight. We then just bomb it long and often turn it over.

Is there a stat on effective clearances?? We are winning a lot of clearance counts but I doubt if we would be winning and effective clearance count.

Leysy Days said:

Agree. The good news is that I'd rather be looking for outside mids than (a) inside mids and (b) KPFs.

Could Wilson play this role? Sounds like he has potential elite disposal

Bennell sounds like the best pick as an outside mid

What's Gaff like as an outside mid?

as we get fitter and spread better it will improve. as the boys play together longer they'll know when to go and when to trust your teammate will win the pill, lay the hands off and then shepherd for you. it'll come

Leysy Days said:

:rofl

Agree 100% with this but I find it hilarious that we are now in need flankers and outside midfielders.

Constant talk in the papers of us having salary cap room and that we might be fairly active on the trade table this summer. Personally I wish we just stood well clear of the whole trading aspect, I don't think it gets you anywhere unless you are a near premiership team. Nevertheless, would the outside midfielder position be the one we go after if we did go that way? Can't really think of a good outside midfielder out of contract.

Danog said:
Hardwick did say On the Couch a week ago that we needed outside runners. Maybe Bennell will become a Tiger at the draft. Whatever the case, we need to target tall midfielders and rucks.
Dimma must have come across Terry's manifesto of building a premiership team. ;D
More skinny flankers and outside mids are now required. 8)

Agree with others that outside mids are a key for us.

Actually watching the game when Andy Collins did a few good things it struck me how important he is for the team. We need a quality young outside mid and Andy is one of the few on our list