Umps today | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umps today

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Most weeks we are bagging them but I thought they did a pretty good job today.

Umpired to the conditions.

Well done.

Thought they were a bit to us in the first quarter, but it was even after that. To be fair, though, we were first to the ball all day so we deserved it.

TigerArmySoldier01 said:
umpired to the conditions, but wish it was umpired more like that every week. Backed the players to go in and win the footy!!!

Spot on there sergeant. The port ferals around me were screaming at the umps but one of the main differences between the two sides was that one side wanted to go in and win the footy and one side thought it was too cold , wet and windy to do that. I didn't get much agreement from the ferals when I made that comment at half time and by half way through the last quarter I looked around and they were all gone.

what was the free kick on the goal line to Stkilda for when their player tried to mark it and touched it through?

Why does the holding the ball rule seem to have one interpretation when we are being tackled and another when we are tackling?

They were concistant to the holding the ball rule most of the night i thought. Is it a good thing? No, I hate the rule at times!

The rule would be ok except many times a player will go for the ball and the opposition player will pin the ball into the contest. To an umpire standing behind the play it looks like the ball was simply dragged in and held. You will often see players now sticking their hands up to indicate they haven't got the footy while the other player pretends they do. Looks comical.

How can it be hold the ball if you are over the line.
Lets face it some clubs get a run withthe umps than overs.

Hell if Nick had been in the side they would have had 20 more.

tannerztigers said:
They were concistant to the holding the ball rule most of the night i thought. Is it a good thing? No, I hate the rule at times!

LOL A saint player does a half tackle and gets rewarded or a Richmond player handballs it and still gets pinged while Richmond players tackle and tackle while Saints players drop the ball and no whistle.

And those soft frees to the Saints in front of goal.

Cmon.

Which Richmond player shagged Geesh's daughter?

Someone told me Rosebury was umpiring again.

The infamous ump who gave Essendon 11 frees to 1 2 weeks ago.

Was Rosebury umpiring and if so why did the AFL give him a Richmond game.

Some serious corruption going on there.

smasha said:
Someone told me Rosebury was umpiring again.

The infamous ump who gave Essendon 11 frees to 1 2 weeks ago.

Was Rosebury umpiring and if so why did the AFL give him a Richmond game.

Some serious corruption going on there.
Some serious paranoia going on here. Get a grip.

The free against McGuane was for a push - which was ridiculous considering he got him with his shoulder. You know they can't seem to give players with momentum the benefit of the doubt, how was McGuane, who was charging at the line to try and spoil the ball, supposed to stop without making contact! :p. The one where Matty White was pinged for nudging his player under the ball was hot as well.

The ball knocked out in a contest is the one that annoys me - especially when the player with the ball has had it for enough time to dispose of the ball ('prior opportunity'), tries to run around or break a tackle, has the ball knocked out and it is called played on. I mean, when it happens to our players you just get frustrated that they haven't gotten rid of the ball quicker, but when we tackle the opposition it just about always seems to be called play on.

I gotta say, I get more frustrated by Richmond supporters whining about umpires than I do the umpires themselves We are a clumsy team and make silly mistakes. he White nudge was U-16 stuff. The McGuane push was silly. The Jake foot in the back was U-14s.

Was it Gilbert? in the third quarter, running through the middle, made a conscious decision to try to crash through the Richmond player. Was tackled to ground while still in possession...play on. Bewildering.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Was it Gilbert? in the third quarter, running through the middle, made a conscious decision to try to crash through the Richmond player. Was tackled to ground while still in possession...play on. Bewildering.

The ump said Tuck stripped him of the ball hence no free. ::)

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

That decision had me tearing my hair out, that would be on the rules DVD for what holding the ball is if that got payed. Blatant, I'm pretty sure the saints kicked a goal shortly after that and I hate whining about umpires as I know its not all 1 way, but these types of decisions can change the momentum of a game.

As much as I hate to say the umpire actually got that one right - the reply showed the ball being jarred out of Gilbert's hands into Tuck's.

There was another a couple of minutes after that in the same area that didn't get rewarded where the saints player had plenty of time to get rid of the ball and it was called play on.

That push by Kingy was bloody stupid as was McGuane's shepherd - he got rid of Kosi way too early, we were just fortunate that he missed from 30m out.