U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

Take note Australias political *smile* artist, America has voted for Trump, as they have had a gutfull (no pun intended) of all the crap that dpews from teir mouths , people have lost jobs, homes thier face in society,and Trump stood for giving back their human right to work and live .
I say well done Trump will exceed all expectations , my time will tell..

tigersnake said:
how underwhelming is Turnbull? geez he is the most unconvincing PM in my time. The more convincing he tries to be the less convincing he is.

Hopefully the Liberals replace him with someone more credible and regain the protest votes from the riffraff parties.

There are some comparisons of Trump and Reagan, but I'm not sure it sticks enough to be convinced this is not as bad as we all think.

tigersnake said:
The party system is broken, no doubt, and western societies are deeply divided, in large part as a result of that brokeness. But progressive politics isn't in freefall, it's 51% v 49% remember, as was Brexit, as was our election. That's not freefall. Trumps smashed through the party machine to get the nomination, Sanders couldn't, amazingly close but no cigar. I think spook is right, both Sanders and Trump were against the party machines, Sanders minus the hate and minus the big end of town. The Republican's inability to nobble Trump like the Democrats did Sanders was the difference, a less effective machine meant victory.

It looks close, sure, but the 51% is for a badly trained ferret that's been rolling in the paprika. That doesn't bode well and it suggests that progressive politics (dragging the dead weight of the regressive left) has so hamstrung itself that it has no way of dealing with Hanson/Farrage/Trump. I think it is far worse than the numbers seem on the surface.

Baron Samedi said:
The white working class have had their whinge. Pendulum will swing just as hard the other way. The ebb and flow of history.

Let's just hope the world survives the next four years.

Man were they sold a pup?! A moneyed upstart with no idea who's never worked a day in his life and serially shafts his contractors is a hero of the working class? What the *smile* were the Dems and Team Hillary doing?

KnightersRevenge said:
Man were they sold a pup?! A moneyed upstart with no idea who's never worked a day in his life and serially shafts his contractors is a hero of the working class? What the *smile* were the Dems and Team Hillary doing?

It's like the job nobody wants.

KnightersRevenge said:
It looks close, sure, but the 51% is for a badly trained ferret that's been rolling in the paprika. That doesn't bode well and it suggests that progressive politics (dragging the dead weight of the regressive left) has so hamstrung itself that it has no way of dealing with Hanson/Farrage/Trump. I think it is far worse than the numbers seem on the surface.

bulldust. elections are only ever won by 0.5 to 2%. the seats or college votes or whatever can suggest a landslide, and the pundits will say 'is this the end for the left/ right?' But then they bounce back. There is no freefall.

Exhibit A, QLD state politics, Campbell Newman. Won in a landslide on the basis of a slogan, 'can-do Campbell', and posturing as an outsider. Forget that his record as mayor wasn't good, (a good bumper sticker soon after was 'Can-do is a Can't'), reduced Labor to less than a cricket team, everyone, everyone to a person said his margin was so big he'd be in for at least 2, probably 3 terms. As his modus operandi emerged, opaque process, reducing scrutiny, contempt for convention, contracts and jobs to unqualified mates, he was turfed out after 1 term in just as big a landslide.

This is a good read FWIW. I read it a while ago and was convinced, then got unconvinced by the media, but it has come to pass.

http://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/

On the news that Donald Trump had won the Presidency -

$34B wiped off the Australian Stock Exchange.

Over $2 Trillion wiped off Wall Street.

There is going to be a huge shift in the distribution of wealth around the world. Can the fragile world economy handle the transition phase?

Buckle up for the ride.

Trump has talked the talk, can he walk the walk. I'll be surprised if he builds the wall.

I think the only genuinely happy world leader at the moment is Putin

RemoteTiger said:
On the news that Donald Trump had won the Presidency -

$34B wiped off the Australian Stock Exchange.

Over $2 Trillion wiped off Wall Street.

Nobody weeps for the punters who lose their money on the races. It'll recover.

tigersnake said:
This is a good read FWIW. I read it a while ago and was convinced, then got unconvinced by the media, but it has come to pass.

http://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/

Humorous and deadly accurate in parts. He at least understands what makes people tick.

Baloo said:
I think the only genuinely happy world leader at the moment is Putin

Must be licking his lips by now. I wonder what his neighbour mate Kim Jong-Un is thinking right now?

KnightersRevenge said:
Progressive politics is in free fall. The left is broken because it has allowed its own lunatic fringe to gag it. Islamaphobia, transphobia, trigger warnings, cutural appropriation, the consonant soup that is LGBTIQ...., the offence olympics. The rednecks are having a field day. Trump can say anything and get cheered for it. Obama/Clinton can't even speak the name of the actual ideology that is running rampant over the middle east and taking violent holiday trips into Europe.

Reckon that is a good summary Knighter

Best line I saw re today's election result was that this just proves that the US is more sexist than it is racist (and it's pretty bloody racist). Lots of family and friends in the US and the overwhelming feeling I got going in to today was that there was no way in hell they were going to let HRC be the first female president, for a variety of reasons. Love him or hate him, large parts of Trump's campaign messaging really resonated with many Americans. Interesting times ahead.