Tony Abbott's plebiscite | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tony Abbott's plebiscite

Are you in favour?

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Couldn't give a fat rat's

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tony Abbott admits he won't accept a yes vote on carbon tax

UPDATE 1.45pm: KEY independent MPs Tony Windsor and Rob Oakeshott today rejected Tony Abbott's push to hold a plebiscite on the carbon tax, as the Opposition Leader revealed he would not accept a "yes" vote.

Fellow independent Andrew Wilkie said he wanted more detail before he decided on his position.

Mr Abbott is banking on the plan to intensify pressure on the PM's climate change plans by today introducing a Bill to force a plebiscite on the carbon tax.

The tactic will make both houses of Parliament vote for or against the public getting a say before the tax begins on July 1 next year.

If Mr Abbott's Carbon Tax Plebiscite Act is passed, it could force the Prime Minister to hold a $69 million "referendum" on her controversial policy within 90 days.

The yes or no question to be put to the people would be: "Are you in favour of a law to impose a carbon tax?"

"This is a way of having a vote without having an election," Mr Abbott told the Herald Sun.

"The people should have a say before the Parliament votes and not afterwards."

But Mr Abbott also told 3AW today that if he was successful in forcing a plebiscite and the result found the people wanted a carbon tax, he would not accept it.

He said he would remain opposed to it and would “rescind it” if he became Prime Minister.

Greens leader Bob Brown blasted Mr Abbott, saying he was showing contempt for voters by calling for a plebiscite but then saying if the result was not what he wanted he would ignore it.

“It’s expensive, tricky and farcical from Tony Abbott," Senator Brown said.

Senator Brown challenged Mr Abbott to have a plebiscite to put a cap on executive salaries.

Cabinet Minister Anthony Albanese said Mr Abbott's comment on radio proved the plebiscite was a stunt.

Mr Windsor also said it was a stunt that would waste money as he called on Mr Abbott to instead give his own MPs a conscience vote on the issue.

“The question is a nonsense in itself without any substantive detail, and there isn’t any substantive detail yet,” he said.

Mr Oakeshott described Mr Abbott’s idea as a “Monday surprise” and a “trick”.

Both Mr Oakeshott and Mr Windsor last week attacked the Government for planning a $12 million advertising campaign to promote the carbon tax and today said the plebiscite was also a waste of money when the detail of the carbon tax had not been settled.

The Opposition Leader earlier said the independents liked to think of themselves as "ultra-democratic", so they should support the plebiscite.

"I think it's going to be very difficult for them to maintain their independent credentials and not support this Bill," he said.

The Senate could vote on the plebiscite as early as tomorrow.

The "old Senate" has its last sitting on Thursday, and until then Mr Abbott only needs the support of independent Senator Nick Xenophon and Victoria's Steve Fielding.

After July 1, when the Senate numbers change, he will need the Greens to back his Bill. A vote is not likely in the House of Representatives before July 4 and Mr Abbott needs four of the six cross-bench votes.

Liberals hope if the Senate agrees it will convince the Lower House independents.

"This is a vastly significant change. This is a bigger change than the GST because the GST did not purport to save the world," Mr Abbott said.

"This is a tax that purports to save the world but it will go up and up and up once it's introduced."

A plebiscite would cost taxpayers at least $69 million and potentially would be held on a Saturday in October.

Mr Abbott says that is far smaller than the $11 billion-a-year cost of the tax. The Government already plans to spend $12 million on an advertising campaign to explain the carbon tax package.

Move over Nielson Polls...this is the one that counts.

I can't believe Tony Abbott wanting to spend all that money on a plebiscite then admit he wouldn't accept the voice of the people if it went against his own agenda. It seems a selfish waste of taxpayer money.

I'd like him to give some concrete facts and figures outlining why he's dead agaisnt the carbon tax. I don't have a clue how it would affect us personally or the country in general.

I'd be interested to hear whether others support his push or not.

rosy23 said:
Move over Nielson Polls...this is the one that counts.

I can't believe Tony Abbott wanting to spend all that money on a plebiscite then admit he wouldn't accept the voice of the people if it went against his own agenda. It seems a selfish waste of taxpayer money.

I'd like him to give some concrete facts and figures outlining why he's dead agaisnt the carbon tax. I don't have a clue how it would affect us personally or the country in general.

I'd be interested to hear whether others support his push or not.
Rosy to me its pretty easy to understand why he is against it , he believes his opposition of it will make him Prime Minister. He is already on record as saying that if there is to be a price on carbon then a carbon tax is the best way of doing it because the rebate given to consumers will mean that the overall tax burden will not increase . He said that in 2009 .
Noone can tell you what the effect will be on each individual because the price on carbon has not been set and the legislation has not been introduced.

Sintiger said:
Noone can tell you what the effect will be on each individual because the price on carbon has not been set and the legislation has not been introduced.

Especially the person making the most noise against it. He should put up the 69 million bucks for the folly himself.

Not you rosy but what's wrong with calling this a referendum which is what most people understand it as?

Let the elected Government get on with doing it's job Abbott.
This would be an absolute waste of time and money.

Tigers of Old said:
Not you rosy but what's wrong with calling this a referendum which is what most people understand it as?

Let the elected Government get on with doing it's job Abbott.
This would be an absolute waste of time and money.

a referendum is binding, a plebiscite isnt.

abbott isnt wasting money because he knows there is no chance the plebiscite will happen.
just him talking sh!te as usual.

Brodders17 said:
a referendum is binding, a plebiscite isnt.

It's also compulsory to vote in a referendum but not the Clayton's version Abbott wants... and admits he wouldn't take any notice of if the result didn't go his way anyway. What a joke.

In Australia, a referendum is used for constitutional amendments. A plebiscite is just to ask the electorate their view.

Examples are referendum were required for the republican question, the Australia Card, aborigines getting the vote, and changes to Feds taxation scope.

Plebiscites were the questions on conscription and the national anthem.

This proposal is a joke. If you want to ask Australians their view, fine, but to say you will ignore it anyway if you disagree? A plebiscite is a powerful tool, due to its cost and the mandate it provides. It should not be used for stunts.

Anyone willing to put their hand up for voting yes and explaining why they're in favour? I can't see any positives to the idea at all so am interested in some food for thought from a different perspective.

rosy23 said:
Anyone willing to put their hand up for voting yes and explaining why they're in favour? I can't see any positives to the idea at all so am interested in some food for thought from a different perspective.

I voted yes, anything that dicks labour around is good by me. :hihi

To be honest, I haven't read more into it then that.

the pious one has scuttled it in the Senate anyway.

Liberals dodged a bullet, IMO; Abbott provided the ALP with a possible get out strategy. Now the ALP have to go ahead with this highly unpopular legislation and will lose the next election in a landslide.

poppa x said:
A truly stupid idea Mr Abbott.
The people will vote on Gillard's carbon tax at the next election.

by which time it will have been in place for a while and voters will have seen some of the impact. they will also vote on abbottss alternative policies.

The opposition never releases there policies, Labour was just as bad when they were in opposition.

Thats one thing that really annoys me with politics. The opposition gets a free ride, just waiting to see which way the public reacts.

But fairs fair, Labour were no better.

I voted yes; I've never voted in a plebiscite, it would be fun.

Even if it did get through both houses (which it didn't), I don't think it could be paid for; money can't be appropriated without approval of government.