Tiger Poll- Draft or Trade | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger Poll- Draft or Trade

Should the RFC Draft or Trade their way to success

• Draft

Votes: 54 52.4%
  • Trade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on who, age etc

Votes: 49 47.6%

• Total voters
tigerman said:
Obviously a Chris Judd type trade is a given

I don't think it is a given. Judd may still be one of the Top 3 players in the game, but they still had to give up a hell of a lot to get him.
Josh Kennedy is the key forward Carlton could do with for the next 8-10 years and they also gave up Pick 3 & 20 on top of that, Pick 3 alone could be another Judd or a Dustin Martin, pick 20 could be another Griffiths or quality midfielder. That's a lot of future for one player, especially when they're still not a Top 4 side yet and Judd is 27 this year.

I'd far prefer Picks 3 & 20 plus Kennedy than Judd

ZeroGame said:
I don't think it is a given. Judd may still be one of the Top 3 players in the game, but they still had to give up a hell of a lot to get him.
Josh Kennedy is the key forward Carlton could do with for the next 8-10 years and they also gave up Pick 3 & 20 on top of that, Pick 3 alone could be another Judd or a Dustin Martin, pick 20 could be another Griffiths or quality midfielder. That's a lot of future for one player, especially when they're still not a Top 4 side yet and Judd is 27 this year.

I'd far prefer Picks 3 & 20 plus Kennedy than Judd

They certainly they paid alot for Judd, probably too much.
My point is- draft for sustained success, and trade only for a Judd type player.

I am all for the draft way but I chose the who age option for obvious reason as you can never say never. If we do have Pick 4 as is widely predicted I would give it up for a Patrick Dangerfield as another thread mentions. From a long way away I would say we are looking at getting a Gaff type player or Bennell then you have to weigh it up. Is Dangerfield better prospect I say yes, is Sidebottom better prospect I say no.

I'd liketo think draft, but the jury is still certainly out on our ability in this area despite this year's crop of youngsters looking pretty good at this stage.

Tigers of Old said:
Far prefer? Disagree.

Masten, Notte & Kennedy vs Judd.

Personally I think Judd's been very good for Carlton.
Bit early to make that call as you're judging kids taken only 2 drafts ago, however even with hindsight it could just as easily have been Kennedy plus one of Cale Morton/Jarrad Grant/Patrick Dangerfield/Cyril Rioli plus one of Scott Selwood/Tayte Pears/Andy Otten

It's not the players taken at those exact picks, but giving yourself that chance to draft the next Judd or Ablett and with 2 x Top 4 picks plus 1 Top 20, you're giving yourself the best chance to select players to build your side around for the next few years. Those 3 picks should be 17% of your next premiership starting 18.

What happens if you put all your eggs in one basket and you trade away your future guns for a player who snaps his leg in half like Nathan Brown, or has 2 knee recos like Mark Coughlan?

ZeroGame said:
Bit early to make that call as you're judging kids taken only 2 drafts ago, however even with hindsight it could just as easily have been Kennedy plus one of Cale Morton/Jarrad Grant/Patrick Dangerfield/Cyril Rioli plus one of Scott Selwood/Tayte Pears/Andy Otten

Hypotheticals don't change what is Zero. History will show those players were not chosen. They are just random names you have plucked out to suit your argument. The lottery of the draft versus a proven superstar at just 24 years of age.

Sure it's earlyish and Kennedy looks pretty good but I'll take huge risk and say none of those guys will ever be near as good as CJ who's one of the player of his generation. So far Carlton clearly won the deal.

ZeroGame said:
It's not the players taken at those exact picks, but giving yourself that chance to draft the next Judd or Ablett

What do you seriously think your chance of that happening are? The above guys are some of the best ever.
Carlton even got one of them in the deal!

ZeroGame said:
What happens if you put all your eggs in one basket and you trade away your future guns for a player who snaps his leg in half like Nathan Brown, or has 2 knee recos like Mark Coughlan?

All your eggs? 3, 20 & a junior player? It's hardly all your eggs.

Alternatively pick 3 who might be half as good as Judd could snap his leg in the first week & Judd could lead Carlton to a flag.
More hypotheticals don't change what is in this instance.

If you want to pick up one of the best players ever into your team, it's going to cost and so far I think the Scumbags got Judd for a bargain.
They didn't even have to give up pick one to make it happen.

Tigers of Old said:
Far prefer? Disagree.

Masten, Notte & Kennedy vs Judd.

Personally I think Judd's been very good for Carlton.

I reckon the the Eagles got by far the better end of this deal when it was made, but they diminished its value somewhat with their picks. Their picks haven't really panned out, but pick 3 could have been a Palmer, Dangerfield or Rioli.

Streak said:
I reckon the the Eagles got by far the better end of this deal when it was made, but they diminished its value somewhat with their picks. Their picks haven't really panned out, but pick 3 could have been a Palmer, Dangerfield or Rioli.

So what you're trying to say is Carlton got the better end of Judd deal? Thought so.

TigerFurious said:
So what you're trying to say is Carlton got the better end of Judd deal? Thought so.

It's still far too soon to call a winner

Also I was dealing with hypotheticals on the types you could get with those picks because we are talking about future Tiger's trades and it was said a Chris Judd type trade was a given. I don't think it is, the theory behind trading away that many top picks for a Judd type is risky and short sighted.

If we were a Top 4 side for 2 years straight then perhaps to top up, but you wouldn't have those top picks to trade if that was the case and you would then have to trade out a player who's good enough to get an early first rounder on top of the usual picks you'd give up.

I hope Kennedy becomes one of the leagues best KPF and that Carlton are always just one good KPF away from winning the flag.

Baloo said:
I hope Kennedy becomes one of the leagues best KPF and that Carlton are always just one good KPF away from winning the flag.

+1 :D (cept of course Jack will be a better KPF than Kennedy - as will Griff)

grumpytiger said:
+1 :D (cept of course Jack will be a better KPF than Kennedy - as will Griff)

Would like Jack to have Kennedy's goal kicking accuracy, he's on 29 goals 5 for the season so far (85%) and 78 goals 35 for his career (70%).
Very impressive.

ZeroGame said:
Would like Jack to have Kennedy's goal kicking accuracy, he's on 29 goals 5 for the season so far and 78 goals 25 for his career. Very impressive.

Have you seen Kennedy's run up while shooting for goal, it's a classic, but it works for him, i don't know how.

tigerman said:
Have you seen Kennedy's run up while shooting for goal, it's a classic, but it works for him, i don't know how.

I know it's bizarre, however it's clearly his routine and works for him, good on him.