Tiger Poll- Draft or Trade | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger Poll- Draft or Trade

Should the RFC Draft or Trade their way to success

• Draft

Votes: 54 52.4%
  • Trade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on who, age etc

Votes: 49 47.6%

• Total voters

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I have always believed that the best way to sustained success is by by drafting youth, and building a winning culture, much the same as Geelong has done.
Obviously a Chris Judd type trade is a given, but i much prefer that we draft players that may have been overlooked like Nason, Webbereley and Nahas, as opposed to trading for players from other afl clubs who haven't quite made it, for what ever reason.

Happy to trade if it's for an under 21 year old who can't get an opportunity at their club. I'm thinking of someone who is on a top 4 side's list who just can't break into a senior team. They would have to have the prospect of playing for us for 10 years plus.

Total Tiger said:
Happy to trade if it's for an under 21 year old who can't get an opportunity at their club. I'm thinking of someone who is on a top 4 side's list who just can't break into a senior team. They would have to have the prospect of playing for us for 10 years plus.

Weller and Morrison still haunt me on that basis, although they were 22 and 23 repectively.

Draft in -Trade out. Schulz trade was a good trade. Most of our in trades are duds.

Keep drafting until we're at a point where we can trade to fill in the missing spots. At the moment we have too many wholes to start using trades to plug them.

Smart list management is about utilising every opportunity to better the list.

Sticking to just one method, and ruling out all the other possible options is naive and irresponsible.

Sure, draft all you can, but if the right trade appears, you have to at least consider it.

thejinx said:
Smart list management is about utilising every opportunity to better the list.

Sticking to just one method, and ruling out all the other possible options is naive and irresponsible.

Sure, draft all you can, but if the right trade appears, you have to at least consider it.
:clap :clap :clap

Neither trading or drafting will guarantee anything, the last 30 years proves this. There is more to it than just these two alone.

I am generally a 'draft' man

but the regard and love for Dangerfield from some respected posters makes me open to the idea.

it's all about "will the guy at pick 4 be better than dangermouse?"

I don't think he went top 5 in his draft (not sure, haven't looked) but he's obviously come on well.

So why didn't we take him when we had the chance?

it's stupid if we always end up trying to get the player that we overlooked three years before.

I also agree with 'we missed that guy, we can't have everyone, let's draft the next gun!'

I would trade our second pick for either Travis Baok or Pat Dangerfield, then target the other by tempting the $$$ into the PSD.

DirtyDogTiger said:

but the regard and love for Dangerfield from some respected posters makes me open to the idea.

I don't think he went top 5 in his draft (not sure, haven't looked) but he's obviously come on well.

it's stupid if we always end up trying to get the player that we overlooked three years before.

I also agree with 'we missed that guy, we can't have everyone, let's draft the next gun!'

Dangerfield was pick 10 in the 2007 National Draft, Dirtydog.
We took Cotchin at pick 2 and Rance at pick 18 (PP)

DirtyDogTiger said:

Problem is you almost always pay over the odds for star recruits.