Theres a "swooper" feel about the joint again | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Theres a "swooper" feel about the joint again

Elmer said:
Didn't Swooper's Tiger sides win games?

In 93,94 we were not that different to now, we were on the edge of winning, we were playing strong 3 qtr games, In 95 we broke out and shell shocked everyone, including ourselves LOL.
Injury, losing Northey and Maxfield cost us a flag I reckon

All of our coaches, bar Cambo come from premiership teams and winning cultures, Cambo comes from an era that might have been, He was a 90's footballer and good in his day at getting the pill.

This is the most exciting time to be a richmond supporter since 95

Tigers of Old said:
There was a heap of hype in 2005 too about this time.

That was a different feeling. We won 7-2 off the back of Nathan Brown and Matty Richardson, plus half the side was still mature. We still needed several years worth of draft picks for the rebuild to come.

This time it's more about culture, and we've already got the young talent on the list and playing games. More like Hawthorn in 2005 with Hodge, Mitchell and Sewell etc already on the list and Buddy + Roughead just starting out.

"Swooper" feel ???..............................that's no good to us, took us nowhere.

We want the HAFEY feel.

Now we're talking!! :clap

Tigers of Old said:
I think Dimma's done pretty well and to date I'm a fan but truth be told it would have been hard to do any worse than Wallet this year and as Fudd says the reality is we are still 1-10.
This is still definitely the Hardwick honeymoon and rightly supporters are largely being encouraging and hopeful but I'm not getting too carried away yet despite some apparent improvements so far.

Yep, all valid points guys. We are 1-10. I personalyl didnt think it would click until about round 16. it clicked agaist the hawks, so no we need to improve skills - the attitude is in the right zone and thats the point iwas trying to make with this thread. Persoally i think we will finish with 6 wins for the year, starting this weekend against the WCE (sportsbet has us 1.83 favourites!! Amazing!).

Look fo a big jum next year as players continue to develop. Dont forget that whilst we are young, we are not the youngest so we are not as far back as some may think. Fast forward 12-18 months and we sould be pushing towards 8th -10th spot if we continue on this incline.

IanG said:
I would have thought it was reasonable to compare Hardwick's first year with Northey's first year rather than the year everything came together.

Yer sorry - i shoudl have been clearer in my title. Its more about Swoopr and Hardwicks first year comparison.

jamo said:
In 93,94 we were not that different to now, we were on the edge of winning, we were playing strong 3 qtr games, In 95 we broke out and shell shocked everyone, including ourselves LOL.
Injury, losing Northey and Maxfield cost us a flag I reckon

All of our coaches, bar Cambo come from premiership teams and winning cultures, Cambo comes from an era that might have been, He was a 90's footballer and good in his day at getting the pill.

This is the most exciting time to be a richmond supporter since 95

would have been nice to secure plugger in the draft in '94 too. Tht would have delivered us a flag. Imagine Richo and Plugger in the same FFL

Elmer said:
It is but for the first sentence of doherz's post refering "to something we havent seen since swooper in 94 and 95." We won 12 and 15 respectively but in Northey's first year (93) we won 4. Semantics maybe yet how many backing Richmond to win 12 next year?

I knew where you were going with it Fudd.
I'll certainly be thrilled if we win a dozen games next year and then perhaps some comparisons can be made.
Time will tell.

rockstar_tiger said:
That was a different feeling. We won 7-2 off the back of Nathan Brown and Matty Richardson, plus half the side was still mature. We still needed several years worth of draft picks for the rebuild to come.

This time it's more about culture, and we've already got the young talent on the list and playing games. More like Hawthorn in 2005 with Hodge, Mitchell and Sewell etc already on the list and Buddy + Roughead just starting out.

All fair points but wasn't drawing a comparison beyond supporter expectation.
Dimma's is certainly a vastly different approach when compared with Wallet. Polar opposite in fact and that to me is a good thing.
Again only time will really tell if it's successful. I sure hope it is.

I guess all we need now is play some finals,
another Mal Brown on the board to tell everyone what a bad coach we have.
Chase Sheedy,
lose our coach,
Sheedy doesn't come to tiger land.
We pick up a washed up old coach.
And we lose a good player to a struggle club tha the AFL just gave free poaching rights to.

Last part sounds scary with GWS and GC comin in. ???

Swooper was by far the best coach we have had since the last premiership, hopefully Hardwick will be the one to take that mantle. The signs are very positive at this early stage.

The other similarity to the early 90s is that we have a very young list with a few potential superstars (Cotchin, Martin & Lids). Early in the 90s, Richo, Knights, Campbell and Free were all young and showing great signs for the future. Losing Free at such a young age was a big loss, only Richmond could lose a captain to a career ending injury when he is still in his mid-20s. The last 15 years we have always had some more established older players who haven't delivered enough and at the same time we haven't had enough young talent coming through. Hopefully those days are now over.

doherz said:
This may be a little premature, but i am really starting to feel that there is a movement in the culture at the club, something we havent seen since swooper in 94 and 95 ( i still watch replays of round 4 against North in 1995).

Its not necessarily the youth or the galvinisation or the hard ball gets or the increase in 1%ers - its that fact that the coach seems to have captivated theplaying group - they are playing for each other, the jumper and the coach.

Cant be too far off more wins. Whats everyone elses thoughts?
You might be onto something

Punxsutawney Phil said:
Swooper also had the luxury of having guys like Broderick, Gale, Rogers, Tape, Dear, Wigney, Bond, Charles etc. fadded either via the draft or other clubs which certainly helped the playing stocks. Where are these types going to come from? This time of our history was probably our most successful recruiting-wise.

Would have to disagree here. If you have a read of the Richmond Centenary book, you'll see that Graeme Richmond was an absolute gold miner in the trading/drafting areas. For years he made the Tiges the leaders in this area.

Tigers of Old said:
I think Dimma's done pretty well and to date I'm a fan but truth be told it would have been hard to do any worse than Wallet this year and as Fudd says the reality is we are still 1-10.
This is still definitely the Hardwick honeymoon and rightly supporters are largely being encouraging and hopeful but I'm not getting too carried away yet despite some apparent improvements so far.

As usual ToO talks sense ( except for when you're talking about McGuane!).