Theres a "swooper" feel about the joint again | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Theres a "swooper" feel about the joint again

doherz

Tiger Superstar
Apr 24, 2004
Tigerland
www.informtech.com.au
This may be a little premature, but i am really starting to feel that there is a movement in the culture at the club, something we havent seen since swooper in 94 and 95 ( i still watch replays of round 4 against North in 1995).

Its not necessarily the youth or the galvinisation or the hard ball gets or the increase in 1%ers - its that fact that the coach seems to have captivated theplaying group - they are playing for each other, the jumper and the coach.

Cant be too far off more wins. Whats everyone elses thoughts?

There is definately a change afoot Doherz.

I wonder though if it is similar to what we had with Swooper. With Swoop, I felt it was more an attitude change. With Dimma, I think there is a significant cultural shift underway.

doherz said:
This may be a little premature, but i am really starting to feel that there is a movement in the culture at the club, something we havent seen since swooper in 94 and 95 ( i still watch replays of round 4 against North in 1995).

Its not necessarily the youth or the galvinisation or the hard ball gets or the increase in 1%ers - its that fact that the coach seems to have captivated theplaying group - they are playing for each other, the jumper and the coach.

Cant be too far off more wins. Whats everyone elses thoughts?

I get the same feeling myself.

I remember that game well it was played on a monday night and we jumped them right from the start, i think we had about 4 goals and the roos had only touched the ball a few times.
Wayne Schwass cleaned up Duncan Kellaway (dog act) right in front of where i was sitting.

Yep, I've got that feel.

It could be completely imaginary but the team feels like it has purpose and direction which I can't rememeber since 94. One thing about Swooper's teams was they were honest and people knew their role. Last Friday felt like that too

IanG said:
How many in his first year?
Four. Was reasonable to expect the title of the thread was referring to the good Swooper year rather than the *smile* ones.

I have noticed is they actually physically stand up for each other. Very Swooper like.

Yes it's similar. That squad ultimately underachieved - although there were a few mitigating circumstances in 1995 - Richo's knee; Free's knee (week after Rd 4 Nth win); Wigney getting injured when he was in career best form and Maxfield leaving at season's end.

Anyway the main similarity is that this team is now playing with the required desire and purpose - don't worry about the win/loss ratio this year - we won few games in 1993. However things turned bigtime in 1994 and 1995 was sensational until Free & Richo did knees - still made Preliminary final though. Hopefully something similar will happen with this group. Will be exciting when it does, especially as we're watching re-build from the ground up.

Shpuld we start considering whether we might be the best team ever to be 1-10 at the half way point of the season??

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Ha, true. Look when you are 1-10 you got to clutch at the odd straw
Looking at our current team selections I have this feeling that we are not really structuring our team to win games at the moment (tanking already???)

I agree with the different feel at the club,

But still way too early to get carried away for me.

Tigerflag2008 said:
Shpuld we start considering whether we might be the best team ever to be 1-10 at the half way point of the season??

Perhaps the club should print up some merchandise to celebrate this achievement

There was a heap of hype in 2005 too about this time.
I think Dimma's done pretty well and to date I'm a fan but truth be told it would have been hard to do any worse than Wallet this year and as Fudd says the reality is we are still 1-10.
This is still definitely the Hardwick honeymoon and rightly supporters are largely being encouraging and hopeful but I'm not getting too carried away yet despite some apparent improvements so far.

Elmer said:
Four. Was reasonable to expect the title of the thread was referring to the good Swooper year rather than the sh!t ones.

I would have thought it was reasonable to compare Hardwick's first year with Northey's first year rather than the year everything came together.

IanG said:
I would have thought it was reasonable to compare Hardwick's first year with Northey's first year rather than the year everything came together.

Logic, you don't get to see much of it anymore.

Yep there is a feel to it.

Swooper also had the luxury of having guys like Broderick, Gale, Rogers, Tape, Dear, Wigney, Bond, Charles etc. fadded either via the draft or other clubs which certainly helped the playing stocks. Where are these types going to come from? This time of our history was probably our most successful recruiting-wise.

I still say that given where our list is at, and the compromised drafts we will be contending with, we are a long, long way off.

IanG said:
It is but for the first sentence of doherz's post refering "to something we havent seen since swooper in 94 and 95." We won 12 and 15 respectively but in Northey's first year (93) we won 4. Semantics maybe yet how many backing Richmond to win 12 next year?

Tigerbob said:
Logic, you don't get to see much of it anymore.
Depends where you're looking.

Yup,

There is definitely a palpable feeling of checked optimism about the Tigers fans this year.

I don't think we're going early, I think we are seeing encouraging signs of consistency in areas of our game, things like; tackling, winning the hard ball, looking to the corridor, not going backwards..etc. You get the sense that getting the whole list (something that looked impossible in the past) doing these things it will build towards consistent results over time. It's the kind of thing that means you don't need a team of champions in order to start moving up the ladder.

Go Dimma, more power to your arm!