Tears as state says sorry for thousands of forced adoptions (TheAge) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tears as state says sorry for thousands of forced adoptions (TheAge)

Liverpool said:
I do agree with you that children need "love and cherishing"....BUT, its never everything.

Children still need practical support....money to dress and feed them, shelter, education, health care, family support if possible, a safe environment for them to be raised, and quality of care.....just to name a few.

From your own article you posted, I think the mother in your story was finding it extremely difficult to provide the practical support needed on top of the 'love and cherishing' part....hence the difficult predicament her and her child found themselves in.

there is no justification for blankets laws/policies that led to the forced removal of children from their parents based purely on race/mother's marital status. both were abhorrent practices.

Freezer said:
Or he might just have a different opinion. Some may actually agree with him. No need to feel sorry.

Two pigeons, two pigeon holes.

Whether it was right or wrong, I don't doubt the respective governments had the best interests at heart. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

And the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. We can't change the past but we can try to make things better in the present.

Liverpool said:
No need to feel sad for me....its just some people don't like to face realistic answers sometimes :)

You can't get basic facts right and yet you claim to be "realistic".

antman said:
You can't get basic facts right and yet you claim to be "realistic".

And what facts did I get wrong on here, Antman?

You decided to bring a piece of NSW legislation from 1915 onto the thread...maybe you can explain what that has to do with a story about adoption in Victoria?
Or did you get your facts wrong? ;)

Brodders17 said:
there is no justification for blankets laws/policies that led to the forced removal of children from their parents based purely on race/mother's marital status. both were abhorrent practices.

We;re talking about a time and era where the support, infrastructure, Government departments, private organisations, and money were not abundant or even did not exist.

Its o.k saying about abhorrent practices, however, in this day and age, if children were left in similar positions then people would be criticising the Government and its agencies for NOT taking the child from this position...and even though the resources are stretched in these modern times.

I spoke on the Racial Tolerance thread ages ago about a future "unstolen generation" where children are being left in neglectful positions purely because the Government and agencies are frightened about being branded as still 'stealing children'.

Its a tough position and while I agree with you about blanket rules, I can understand them as it seemed to be the best way to try and "save" children in a time/era that didn't have the same amount of support we have now.

We are more prepared now to deal with issues on an individual basis rather than the blanket approach.....but there are still issues that need to be dealt with.

Liverpool said:
And what facts did I get wrong on here, Antman?

You decided to bring a piece of NSW legislation from 1915 onto the thread...maybe you can explain what that has to do with a story about adoption in Victoria?
Or did you get your facts wrong? ;)

Check the racial tolerance thread dude. Out of respect to the people affected by the forced adoptions policy I moved my response there.