Tears as state says sorry for thousands of forced adoptions (TheAge) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tears as state says sorry for thousands of forced adoptions (TheAge)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
A lot is said about the stolen generation and Mr Rudd's apology but this has largely gone unrecognised. A very sad blight on our state's history. I hope the acknowledgement brings comfort to those who've suffered such unimaginable trauma.

Tears as state says sorry for thousands of forced adoptions
Date October 26, 2012
Henrietta Cook

WHEN Joy O'Connor fell pregnant at 18 she was told the only decent thing she could do was give up her baby for adoption.

She had no family support, had been deserted by her boyfriend, sacked from her job and ended up living in a home for unmarried women in South Melbourne.

''They told me that they would take me in and look after me on condition I gave up my child for adoption,'' she said.

''I remember the matron saying to me, 'You will have your baby in the street and it will die, do you want that on your conscience?' ''

Ms O'Connor was among more than 300 people who flocked to Spring Street yesterday and wept alongside politicians as the Victorian Parliament apologised to mothers, children and families who were traumatised by forced adoption practices.

In a joint parliamentary sitting, Premier Ted Baillieu apologised for the ''trauma, pain and loss'' experienced by victims of past adoption practices that forcibly removed at least 19,000 Victorian children from their mothers.

''To the mothers and fathers who were denied the opportunity to love and care for your children, and for the pain and trauma you experienced, we are deeply sorry,'' Mr Baillieu said.

''For the sons and daughters for whom adoption meant continual anxiety, uncertainty and the deprivation of a natural family connection, we offer our sincere apology.''

The apology follows an inquiry by the federal Senate this year that found up to 250,000 babies were relinquished for adoption between the 1950s and 1970s, most from young, unmarried women.

Mr Baillieu said the hurt, fear and pain experienced by victims of forced adoption was ongoing and unfair.

''The blame is heartbreaking and the resentment is a burden of unspeakable hardship … the basis of these actions remains, even in the most benign light, wrong, disgraceful, ill conceived and in some cases illegal.''

Opposition Leader Daniel Andrews said a generation of sons and daughters had been denied their mothers. ''These are women who were given sleeping pills in the safety of a local doctor's clinic and woke up in a secure institution for unwed mothers,'' he said.

''These are women who gave birth while tied to a bed, who had sheets and pillows fixed to their face so they never saw their baby.'' Cries of joy spilled from the packed public gallery as Minister for Women's Affairs Mary Wooldridge announced changes to the Adoption Act that would let birth mothers access identifying information about their adopted adult sons and daughters. Ms Wooldridge also announced more counselling and support services.

The joint sitting of Parliament also heard speeches by state Greens leader Greg Barber, Nationals leader Peter Ryan and Pascoe Vale MP Christine Campbell.

The apology was also screened to hundreds more people seated at Queen's Hall and the Windsor Hotel. Almost 1000 children's shoes lined the steps of Parliament in recognition of adopted children.

Ms O'Connor said the apology was surreal and applauded the state government's decision to amend the Adoption Act to let birth mothers access information about their children.

But she said nothing would ever heal the pain of having her daughter taken away.

When she was rushed to Queen Victoria Hospital with labour pains in August 1971 she said she had never felt so alone.

She was placed in a bed in the centre of a ward with 10 other women.

''The nurse closed the curtains around me and a matron came and ripped them open and said, 'What's wrong with you, you don't need the curtains closed.' There was no compassion.''

She begged the nurses to tell her whether she had given birth to a boy or a girl. ''I was lying on the delivery table and they held her down so I could see her,'' she said. ''For a brief two seconds I saw her and then she was gone.''

She spent three years on Valium to deal with trauma of losing her daughter and made a decision never to get married until she was past childbearing age. Ms O'Connor was reunited with her daughter 23 years later and said they now have a wonderful relationship, but said, ''When you grow up with a child you know so much about them. I've missed all that.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/tears-as-state-says-sorry-for-thousands-of-forced-adoptions-20121025-28841.html#ixzz2AM26r6MZ

rosy23 said:
A lot is said about the stolen generation and Mr Rudd's apology but this has largely gone unrecognised. A very sad blight on our state's history. I hope the acknowledgement brings comfort to those who've suffered such unimaginable trauma.

True. I think it has received little attention as it is a liberal government giving the apology.

jb03 said:
True. I think it has received little attention as it is a liberal government giving the apology.

Why do you think that?

jb03 said:

I think its more like the children they are talking about here are not Aboriginal.

No "stolen generation" here....its called 'forced adoption', for a start....a separate term to try and separate the two, even though regardless of the race, children were taken by authorities to try and provide the child some sort of life when they could have died or been in a position to be neglected, abused, etc.

Liverpool said:
...taken by authorities to try and provide the child some sort of life when they could have died or been in a position to be neglected, abused, etc.

Or, heaven forbid, even loved and cherished.

Liverpool said:
I think its more like the children they are talking about here are not Aboriginal.

No "stolen generation" here....its called 'forced adoption', for a start....a separate term to try and separate the two, even though regardless of the race,

Wrong again.

There were clearly policies and practices that promoted the of indigenous kids precisely because of their race, implemented by the Aboriginal Protection Board and other state and federal bodies. In 1915 legislation gave the APB the right to take children away from aboriginal families with parental consent and even without a court order. That is legislation that specifically targeted aboriginal kids on the basis of their race Livers, just in case you think it's a case of "personal opinion" or spin.

Forced adoptions of the kind being apologised for recently were mostly unwed mothers who were coerced into signing papers through psychological torture and pressure, basically. An absolutely disgusting practice as well of course, but not one based on race.

Jason King said:
Could have something to do with the false gender wars? You know the race to become the most oppressed victim ?

I don't get that comment or if that was what jb was referring to sorry. I don't think of this as a political initiative. I don't care that much about sorrys. I do care that such heartache and tragedy is acknowledged and recognised and that those affected don't have to suffer in the silence of denial. The women who weren't allowed to keep their babies wouldn't be in any competition to see who was the most oppressed victim. Everyone of them has had their own cross to bear. My heart goes out to them.

Liverpool said:

No "stolen generation" here....its called 'forced adoption', for a start....a separate term to try and separate the two, even though regardless of the race, children were taken by authorities to try and provide the child some sort of life when they could have died or been in a position to be neglected, abused, etc.

Ever thought about a career as an executioner Livers? They're crying out for them in Alabama I hear. I think you have all the attributes to be great at the job. No special qualifications needed, just an absence of a heart.

Liverpool said:

yep that was the thinking of the day. it looks so barbaric for a government to say you can't have a kid if you aren't married.

This is an important part of my childhood experience. I am glad the state is acknowledging it and saying sorry. Those who don't recognise the importance of what Baillieu and others did don't grasp the importance of the truths about our lives being accepted and discussed. Thank you to all those involved.

Derby A said:
This is an important part of my childhood experience. I am glad the state is acknowledging it and saying sorry. Those who don't recognise the importance of what Baillieu and others did don't grasp the importance of the truths about our lives being accepted and discussed. Thank you to all those involved.

Hear hear. If it helps some people, well worth doing.

antman said:
Wrong again.

There were clearly policies and practices that promoted the of indigenous kids precisely because of their race, implemented by the Aboriginal Protection Board and other state and federal bodies. In 1915 legislation gave the APB the right to take children away from aboriginal families with parental consent and even without a court order. That is legislation that specifically targeted aboriginal kids on the basis of their race Livers, just in case you think it's a case of "personal opinion" or spin.

Forced adoptions of the kind being apologised for recently were mostly unwed mothers who were coerced into signing papers through psychological torture and pressure, basically. An absolutely disgusting practice as well of course, but not one based on race.

Wrong again?

I don't think so, Antman.

What you refer to is a piece of NSW legislation and this topic has been spoken about numerous times on the Racial Tolerance thread already.

Keep punching though :)

rosy23 said:
Or, heaven forbid, even loved and cherished.

Don't doubt that Rosy, however "love and cherishing" does not feed, educate, or assist with health problems and other practical issues a child faces in such a situation.

The story you posted in the original post talks about an 18 year old, in the early 70s, no family support, boyfriend deserted her, she was sacked from her job, and was living in a home of unmarried women.

Sometimes love and cherishing isn't enough.

Liverpool said:
What you refer to is a piece of NSW legislation and this topic has been spoken about numerous times on the Racial Tolerance thread already.

I'm sure you argued in the same inane "my opinion is right regardless of the facts", but out of respect for people who were affected by the forced adoption policy in this case, I won't take any further part in any debate with you on the indigenous children issue in this thread. If you want to try to some more inane, political points on the indigenous kids issue suggest you take it back to the Racial Tolerance thread.

Liverpool said:
The story you posted in the original post talks about an 18 year old, in the early 70s, no family support, boyfriend deserted her, she was sacked from her job, and was living in a home of unmarried women.

Sometimes love and cherishing isn't enough.

And sometimes it's everything. Not interested in discussing it with you though Livers. Sometimes I think you say black is white just to get a bit of attention. Other times I actually feel a bit sad for you.

rosy23 said:
And sometimes it's everything. Not interested in discussing it with you though Livers. Sometimes I think you say black is white just to get a bit of attention. Other times I actually feel a bit sad for you.

Or he might just have a different opinion. Some may actually agree with him. No need to feel sorry.

antman said:

Two pigeons, two pigeon holes.

Whether it was right or wrong, I don't doubt the respective governments had the best interests at heart. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Freezer said:
Or he might just have a different opinion. Some may actually agree with him. No need to feel sorry.

Of course he might, and obviously does, have a different opinion. If he doesn't he could make one up anyway. If others agree with him they're welcome to their opinions too. I haven't claimed otherwise. I don't need advice or instructions to feel the way I do though. Each to their own. :)

Freezer said:

I feel sorry for Livers too. Poor bastard thinks everything on Wikipedia is true, and his brain is wired funny.

rosy23 said:

I do agree with you that children need "love and cherishing"....BUT, its never everything.

Children still need practical support....money to dress and feed them, shelter, education, health care, family support if possible, a safe environment for them to be raised, and quality of care.....just to name a few.

From your own article you posted, I think the mother in your story was finding it extremely difficult to provide the practical support needed on top of the 'love and cherishing' part....hence the difficult predicament her and her child found themselves in.

No need to feel sad for me....its just some people don't like to face realistic answers sometimes :)

tigergollywog said:
I feel sorry for Livers too. Poor bastard thinks everything on Wikipedia is true, and his brain is wired funny.

No need to feel sad for me....its just some people don't like to face realistic answers sometimes :)