Tasmania | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tasmania

Met Derek & his sister in the Maurice Rioli room a few years back, great guy albeit shy, his sister was a hoot
Yeah, I never met his siblings. But have heard that his sister is pretty awesome.

I grew up close to his kids. About the same age as me, family friends who lived around the corner.

All three very gifted at sport. Particularly the youngest two (a daughter and son).

Did you do little aths there Jim?

I did as a little tacker, before moving to Hobart. More mid 80s for me.

That said, stayed in touch with the area through my teen years and early adulthood, as both sets of grandparents lived close by (one over the back fence). Many a school holiday spent around there staying with them.

Used to do all my training sessions on the oval as a teenager when I was staying with them. I was too light for footy, switched to running as my main sport in those years.
I did little aths there and graduated to hockey and my club trained on that ground in the late 70's and early 80's. I moved to Hobart in 85 for Uni. Where I picked up cricket, soccer, drinking and wife hunting. 🍻😎

I did little aths there and graduated to hockey and my club trained on that ground in the late 70's and early 80's. I moved to Hobart in 85 for Uni. Where I picked up cricket, soccer, drinking and wife hunting. 🍻😎
Been a very successful little aths centre has South Launceston. Still the biggest in the state and have produced at least three Commonwealth Games/World Championship level athletes that I know of.

I moved to Hobart mid 1987. Albeit I was only early-mid primary school. Don’t get to Launceston that often now my extended family has largely passed. Not a lot changes up there from how I remember it mid-late 80s. 🙂

That said, I don’t get the Launceston hate. All in all not a bad town. Sure, I’d prefer over all to live in Hobart. But Launceston is no worse (and in a lot of cases better) than regional cities across VIC, NSW and QLD. *smile* hell of a lot better than the big regional towns in the Latrobe Valley, Gippsland region of VIC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure there was a big bloke from Richmond that was pretty good at decrapitating Carlscum players back in the day too. Got me a feeling he might have taken out a pair in one game n didn't even get in trouble for it.
There'd be players getting there match day permits revoked n a please explain from the Plod these days.
I think he got 4 weeks - late start to the 1974 campaign.

I think the AFL forcing footy out of schools in tassie started the rot.

I left Tassie in 1981 and came to perth. Footy in Tassie in the 60's 70's and early eighties was a very high standard given the population.

I was bought up on the eastern shore of Hobart and was zoned to Clarence. I barracked for Hobart.

Thru junior years i was picked to play in southern squads but had an *smile* coach who i told to stuff it up his arse over an issue over a team mate.

Unlucky for me the year i went to clarence he was the u 17 coach. I played two under 19 games and one under 17 and got umpires votes in two.
Trouble was this *smile* head coach had it in for me, did not like me and let me know it. So i told him to shove it up his arse again and went in and asked for a clearance to the Hobart tigers. Nothing doing so the next year i had mates playing rugby union so went an played that for a few year at full back.

Needless to say my dad and many others told me i wasting a great opportunity for perhaps much higher things but i could not be told.

Ended up playing country footy for my Brother in law at Dunally but by then it was all about parties booze cars and girls.
Not Long after i ended up in WA lasted a year. Back to Tassie played rugby and footy and met me kiwi wife and ended up in NZ IN 1985.
A bit of cricket and rugby till 1988 and back to WA ever since.

So there's me tassie sporting background just loved footy and have regrets like a lot of kids do i suppose.

Reactions: 1 user