Talent Identification | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talent Identification

taraba

Eat em alive!!!
Jul 27, 2004
Planet Earth
Bit frustrating all this press around Sam Davidson and how there’s so much interest in him now.

Considering we’ve had Massimo D’Ambrosio and Sam Durham both perform at extremely high levels elsewhere after being in our VFL program I can’t feel that we’ve wasted some golden opportunities to add these players to our list for next to nothing.

Mid season draft notwithstanding we could have used late ND picks on all the latter two and taken Doc with a third mid season pick that we passed on.

Continues a run of poor decision making of late.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
I've said it before, if we delist Blight and Davidson gets snapped up inside 30, then the MSD draft strategy has been an unmitigated disaster.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Bit frustrating all this press around Sam Davidson and how there’s so much interest in him now.

Considering we’ve had Massimo D’Ambrosio and Sam Durham both perform at extremely high levels elsewhere after being in our VFL program I can’t feel that we’ve wasted some golden opportunities to add these players to our list for next to nothing.

Mid season draft notwithstanding we could have used late ND picks on all the latter two and taken Doc with a third mid season pick that we passed on.

Continues a run of poor decision making of late.
It has been posted before that Durham and D'Ambrosio were both picked up in the MSD by Essendon because they got to pick before us. There was nothing we could have done about it.
Davidson is one issue but our recruiting team did nothing wrong with the other two, it was just bad luck.

Reactions: 6 users
I don't get all the Angst about Davidson ,he didn't nominate for the MSD, and who's to say he wouldn't of went before our pick.

It has been posted before that Durham and D'Ambrosio were both picked up in the MSD by Essendon because they got to pick before us. There was nothing we could have done about it.
Davidson is one issue but our recruiting team did nothing wrong with the other two, it was just bad luck.
Yeah but I’m saying we knew about both and could have used a late ND pick on them.

Yeah but I’m saying we knew about both and could have used a late ND pick on them.
That’s not true for D’Ambosio. He was recruited to our vfl program in 2022 after the 2021 national draft, only played 7-8 games for us and then got picked up in the MSD.
He had never even played a vfl game when the 2021 ND occurred.

I want to know why our VFL program can identify talent like Durham, D’Ambrosio, Trezise and now seemingly Davidson but the best our recruiters can do is the likes of RCD, Dow, Sonsie et el.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I'd prefer neither.
Will be interesting where their careers end up. Davidson has been played out of position, looks a winger to me. May has a rowing background who has plenty of scope.

Reactions: 1 users
Will be interesting where their careers end up. Davidson has been played out of position, looks a winger to me. May has a rowing background who has plenty of scope.
I think he is a high half forward, working up and down the flanks and getting deep when he has to. This is a guy who has never been in an elite program and his fitness, strength and endurance would improve a lot by being in fulltime AFL program.
He has a lot of tools including a great eye for a goal which is very important for someone in that role.

Reactions: 3 users
I want to know why our VFL program can identify talent like Durham, D’Ambrosio, Trezise and now seemingly Davidson but the best our recruiters can do is the likes of RCD, Dow, Sonsie et el.
It would be handy if we could get the National Draft kids to play in our VFL side against men so we can make an informed decision.......

Probably look at those players' backgrounds. Did any of them go through the elite junior talent pathways? ( I don't know btw). It is not only us who that happens to, for instance our MSD pick Gray was playing at Keilor last year and was identified by Essendon VFL.

Also players mature at different rates, they can be totally different players at 20 than they were are 18 whilst others reach their ceiling at 18.

I don't get all the Angst about Davidson ,he didn't nominate for the MSD, and who's to say he wouldn't of went before our pick.
If we actually decided that we want Doc for our senior list, could he nominate just for the PSD and avoid the risk of someone else poaching him in the Nov draft or rookie draft?

You dont rate the likes of Seth Campbell? Or Kane McAuliffe? Or Gibcus?