Taking a mark around the ground (umpiring) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Taking a mark around the ground (umpiring)

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
I spoke to a few people about this issue on the weekend as i thought it was very noticeable during our match.

Why are umpires, saying "move it on" and "play on.play on" only 2 seconds after a player takes a legitimate mark around the ground????

It stuffed us up on numerous times on Friday night and didnt allow us to play the game on our terms as we did the previous four weeks and slow the game down...

We would take a mark in defensvie 50, move back a couple of steps and then the umpire would say move it and play on and we would have to kick it right away, straight to there set up.

I hope it wasnt a deliberate instructions from the umpires for our game...the weeks before we were succesfull taking a good 5 or six seconds and waiting and choosing the right option with a 30m lead up pass or 50 m kick around the boundary.

I wont rant on about the Rance mark/throwing the ball back to hard!

Thinking back on the game, I reckon you have a good point there mate. I can remember a number of times where the players had only just gone back to their 'look around for an option' position when the umpire would call out to move it on. I also agree that it would have thrown a real spanner into how we played and caused many rushed kicks, whereas we were really measured the weeks before.

I noticed it too but it had more to do with the player taking a step or two sideways, which SHOULD be an instant play on. If anything, the umps don't call play on enough. Players regularly step off their line and expect to stand there and assess options.

Something I noticed on friday night was that when there was a 1 on 1 marking contest the eagles players were constantly not actually going for the mark but instead were shepparding/blocking our player out of the contest allowing another eagle to take the mark uncontested.

This was very frustrating because;
1. I thought this should be a free kick & 2 where was our man on the eagle taking an uncontested mark?

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Bunnerz said:
I spoke to a few people about this issue on the weekend as i thought it was very noticeable during our match.

Why are umpires, saying "move it on" and "play on.play on" only 2 seconds after a player takes a legitimate mark around the ground????

It stuffed us up on numerous times on Friday night and didnt allow us to play the game on our terms as we did the previous four weeks and slow the game down...

We would take a mark in defensvie 50, move back a couple of steps and then the umpire would say move it and play on and we would have to kick it right away, straight to there set up.

I hope it wasnt a deliberate instructions from the umpires for our game...the weeks before we were succesfull taking a good 5 or six seconds and waiting and choosing the right option with a 30m lead up pass or 50 m kick around the boundary.

I wont rant on about the Rance mark/throwing the ball back to hard!

I noticed it in the VFL game between Richmond and the Doggies.
Richmond player would take a mark,Doggies player on mark would start running which "forced" the umpire to call play on because of the perceived movement.

My perception is that the umpires are much much quicker to call play on for defender. I often hear them warn the forward how much time has elapsed (they never warn the defender) but never call play on once he has started walking in. isn't the rule you have so many seconds to have your shot, not so many seconds to start your run up?? please correct me if I am wrong.

TOT70 said:
I noticed it too but it had more to do with the player taking a step or two sideways, which SHOULD be an instant play on. If anything, the umps don't call play on enough. Players regularly step off their line and expect to stand there and assess options.

Agree. Often players wander around and clearly step off the line of the mark without the umpiring correctly calling play on.

joegarra said:
My perception is that the umpires are much much quicker to call play on for defender. I often hear them warn the forward how much time has elapsed (they never warn the defender) but never call play on once he has started walking in. isn't the rule you have so many seconds to have your shot, not so many seconds to start your run up?? please correct me if I am wrong.

Apparently the forward gets 15 seconds before the umpire is meant to call play on but as you say it almost never happens, they give the player the 15 second warning but the player still seems to get another 5-10 seconds after that.

tigertim said:
Apparently the forward gets 15 seconds before the umpire is meant to call play on but as you say it almost never happens, they give the player the 15 second warning but the player still seems to get another 5-10 seconds after that.
I think it's 30 seconds if the forward is having a shot. The umpire warns when 15 seconds are up but play on is only supposed to be called if the player has not commenced to walk in after 30 seconds.

YinnarTiger said:
I think it's 30 seconds if the forward is having a shot. The umpire warns when 15 seconds are up but play on is only supposed to be called if the player has not commenced to walk in after 30 seconds.
Yep, forwards having a shot get up to thirty seconds to start their approach. Around the ground it's only about five or six seconds to take your kick n I think the full back kicking in gets the same as around the ground or perhaps ten seconds maximum.

TOT70 said:

Some of our defenders have a tendency to do this - Batchelor, Houli on occasion, Chaplin. But what Bunnerz mentions also stood out.

My problem with it is the way the ump uses vocalisation to try to "force" the play. Call play on if that is what the rules demand, but the way they shout "Play on! Play on! Play on!", or "Move it on!" annoys me. Once play on is caled it is up to the player to force the play, not the ump.

It's inconsistent. The clock doesn't start till the full back kicks in, so how much time he takes is irrelevant, but a forward can run down 30 or more seconds. When I checked the AFL laws there is no mention of time.

Umpires should be banned for saying "move it on". Either say "Play on" when the time has elapsed or say nothing. At this stage it's mark - 2 second pause - move it one -2 second pause - play on play on play on.

Firstly, the player is rushed by the constant instruction, secondly, the opposition player can understandably mishear 'Move it on' as 'Play on' and rush over the mark.

KnightersRevenge said:
My problem with it is the way the ump uses vocalisation to try to "force" the play. Call play on if that is what the rules demand, but the way they shout "Play on! Play on! Play on!", or "Move it on!" annoys me. Once play on is caled it is up to the player to force the play, not the ump.

Agree. If what TM says is true, and I personally have often wondered how much time is allowed to take a kick around the ground, we were definately not getting 5 seconds last week. it was 2 or 3, and thats can mean the difference being under pressure and not. Its just annoying. If a player wants to hold it up or move it quick thats their lookout. The convention should be to call play on after the allotted time, whatever that is. Also remember that time last year , I think, when one of our players was just walking in for a set shot and the screamed from 5 metres away, '15 SECONDS!!!!!', as if he was trying to put him off? BT went mental about it I remember. These should be easy and clear things to consistently administer. Grandstanding bloody umps.

tigersnake said:
Grandstanding bloody umps.
Probably covered the entire issue in three words snakey.

Half the trouble is that the maggots are instructed to exaggerate every action to ensure the pea brained t.v. audience can see n hear n therefore feel connected to the match day experience, a bit like all the clash jumper scenarios where every colour except fluoro green n fuschia appear to be identical, so clubs need six different outfits to be noticed.