State League Watch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

State League Watch

FERTILE GROUND TO SHINE

Mark Duffield
They can grow a footballer or two in Shepparton.
The past 24 hours have offered proof positive of at least two. While Norwood ruckman Harry Boyd was closing in on a share of a Magarey Medal as the best player in the SANFL - he ended up in a tie with Will Snelling, fellow Shepparton product Nik Rokahr was doing the same in Perth - at the Sandover medal.
Rokahr, recruited to Swan Districts swans this year from Norwood, ended up sharing the medal with Clarmeont’s Callan England on 19 votes.
Boyd and Rokahr are the Nullarbor Plain apart now but they were schoolmates and teammates back in Shepparton and teammates and housemates in Adelaide.
It was a Sandover Medal count that had its share of twists, turns and drama there were plenty of storylines.
The 25 year-old England was picked by West Coast in the 2018 rookie draft, quickly spat out by the system and has re-emerged now as an elite midfielder in the WAFL, alongside fellow Sandover Medal winners Jye Bolton and Bailey Rogers. His is a story of resilience and rebuilt self belief.
England needed a best on ground in Claremont’s last game to get level with Rokahr and 28 disposals and a goal against Subiaco was enough to get it for him.
For Rokahr, persistence is the key word.
The 29 year-old was cut from his TAC Cup squad at the Murray Bushrangers. After significant country football success he was encouraged to take a swing at Geelong’s VFL team but after that didn’t quite go as well as he would have liked, shifted to Norwood where his football and a love for the Aussie Rules state leagues just took off. He became a premiership midfielder and was runner up in two Magarey Medals before the switch to Swans.

Reactions: 1 user
The VFL TOTY, strangely the Fothergill Medalist Sam Davidson doesn’t make the team. The 3 guys from Frankston I’ve previously mentioned did though, George Grey, Matt Johnson and Tom Murphy. Great effort by the Frankston footy club. No Richmond player unfortunately.

IMG_0663.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
The VFL TOTY, strangely the Fothergill Medalist Sam Davidson doesn’t make the team. The 3 guys from Frankston I’ve previously mentioned did though, George Grey, Matt Johnson and Tom Murphy. Great effort by the Frankston footy club. No Richmond player unfortunately.

View attachment 24315
Ned Moyle is an unusual selection. I've usually found him not very invested in success. Doesn't have a lot of skin in the game.

Callan England is one I would definitely look at. Perfect age profile. Takes Dows spot and is am immediate upgrade with greater potential

Reactions: 1 users
Is Archie May any chance?

I’ve noticed Dermie watching some of our VFL training and games over the past few seasons.

Also, I've heard Derm talk about Richmond on the radio, and mention the lack of depth on our AFL list, and the fact he’s regularly watched our VFL team train/play.

I’d often wondered what the connection was, and was informed recently that Archie’s mum (Julie?) is Dermie’s partner... they've been together for quite some time.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Is Archie May any chance?

I’ve noticed Dermie watching some of our VFL training and games over the past few seasons.

Also, when Derm talks about Richmond on the radio, he occasionally mentions the lack of depth on our AFL list and the fact he’s watched a bit of our VFL.

I’d often wondered what the connection was, and was informed recently that Archie’s mum (Julie?) is Dermie’s partner and Derm has done a lot of work with him since he joined the Richmond VFL program.
Ah, makes some sense, saw Derm was watching us play Willy at Willy a few weeks ago.

View attachment 24315
I was pushing us to pick up Tom Murphy in the msd.
Will be 27 next year but fast, strong mid.
Could help provide cover until our youth rise

Reactions: 1 users
Don't see the need for any mids above the 22 age profile. We have Taranto, Hopper and Prestia to add the older bodies. Don't need to add more who could potentially take minutes away from the young boys about to come in

Don't see the need for any mids above the 22 age profile. We have Taranto, Hopper and Prestia to add the older bodies. Don't need to add more who could potentially take minutes away from the young boys about to come in
Hey? You just said 5 posts ago you’d like Cal England and he’s aged 25 for season ‘25 and “the perfect age profile”?

Last edited:
  • Haha
We need some 22-25 yr olds.
These kids from Frankston would put holes in walls to play in the AFL.
Geelong finds them,
It's time we started to find them.

Reactions: 2 users
Just because we will have a glut of early picks to use on kids does it mean we stop useing later picks including rookie on mature players.

We have plenty of players we can do incremental upgrades or value add on thus incrementally improving the quality of the list.

We wont be rebuilding in two years it will take much longer.