Socceroos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Socceroos

it seems abstract that he's still there?
weird we keep hearing "Socceroos coach Graham Arnold"
I think a younger more contemporary coaching mind would benefit the new crew of players

Yeah, I'd agree with that, but often younger managers want to work at club level career wise.

It's the older journeymen coaches who tend to move into international jobs.

Yeah, I'd agree with that, but often younger managers want to work at club level career wise.

It's the older journeymen coaches who tend to move into international jobs.
Arnold is cemented onto Football Australia, that's the problem. Some fresh air required!
the "older journeymen" thing is fine, but knowledge isn't limited to age

Most of the English Premier League clubs would defeat the Socceroos
i like Brighton Hove Albions new coach - he's 31. Fresh air!

Reactions: 1 users
Arnold is cemented onto Football Australia, that's the problem. Some fresh air required!

Most EPL sides would defeat most national sides. And none of the Socceroos would play regularly for an EPL side.

National teams just don't have the time together to learn to play the sophisticated and highly drilled football of the best club sides.

Reactions: 1 user
Socceroos didn't trouble the scorer for the second game in a row, 0-0 with Indonesia, they are second last on the ladder.

Saudi Arabia with a man sent off in the 20th minute, came from behind the defeat China 2-1.

An improvement on the Bahrain match but lacked finish. v China in Adelaide next month 'must win'

Is it also a case of no money to hire anything much better?

There were rumours of chasing Marcelo Beilsa before he took the Leeds Utd job a few years back (now coaching the Uruguay national side). But I get the sense the days of Frank Lowy money buying the likes of Guus Hiddink are long gone. So Beilsa was never going to happen.

Last edited:
Is it also a case of no money to hire anything much better?

There were rumours of chasing Marcelo Beilsa before he took the Leeds Utd job a few years back (now coaching the Uruguay national side). But I get the sense the days of Frank Lowry money buying the likes of Guus Hiddink are long gone. So Beilsa was never going to happen.

Absolutely - money is a big issue.

Good performance in Jakarta without the cutting edge, again. Indonesia are not bad these days after having raided Europe for professionals with Indo heritage - I think only four of the starting team were native born Indonesians.

Graham Arnold, gone. !!

Press conference to come, don't whether he's been tapped on the shoulder or has fallen on his sword.

Well, that's me proved wrong yet again.

Either he decided the pressure wasn't worth it or he got tapped on the shoulder. If the latter do they have someone in mind? Interim is not ideal as we are under pressure to qualify now.

Retrospectively - Arnie was not for everyone but he was a competent coach who did get us qualified, sometimes just barely, but we made it every time. As I'm fond of repeating our last WC was our best ever result with two wins in group and a good performance against Argentina. One of the Argentinians said that that was almost their toughest game as we were so well drilled and had the toughest mindset.

Game style competent, we'd dominate possession against weaker Asian sides and either hit a cricket score or struggle to score.

Where we struggled most was against A-list sides eg Germany/France getting tonked in the first group game each time.

So Arnie - arguably did better than anyone expected given the limited cattle he had at his disposal but time for a new start.

Either he decided the pressure wasn't worth it or he got tapped on the shoulder. If the latter do they have someone in mind? Interim is not ideal as we are under pressure to qualify now.

Retrospectively - Arnie was not for everyone but he was a competent coach who did get us qualified, sometimes just barely, but we made it every time. As I'm fond of repeating our last WC was our best ever result with two wins in group and a good performance against Argentina. One of the Argentinians said that that was almost their toughest game as we were so well drilled and had the toughest mindset.

Game style competent, we'd dominate possession against weaker Asian sides and either hit a cricket score or struggle to score.

Where we struggled most was against A-list sides eg Germany/France getting tonked in the first group game each time.

So Arnie - arguably did better than anyone expected given the limited cattle he had at his disposal but time for a new start.
Id say we struggle against teams ranked a bit lower than us as well- but this is probably mainly because they then often play defensive and we dont have to attacking prowess to score enough- the last 2 games are great examples.
Who knows if a different coach will be able to assist in this area- but now we will find out.

My issue with Football Australia is that Arnold received an extension based on a world cup where we exceeded expectations. But he should have been judged on how he performed across the whole 4 year cycle.

We had a very poor 2019 Asian Cup where we lost to Jordan in the group stage, scraped through Uzbekistan on penalties and got knocked out by the UAE.

During 2022 qualifying we lost to Japan twice, lost and drew with Saudi Arabia, drew with China away and drew with Oman away.

We scraped through the playoffs with a late winner against the UAE and the infamous penalty shootout against Peru.

Leading into the 2022 WC playoffs, many people were calling for his head. I know I was.

How he got an extension after Qatar is beyond me. The only thing I can think of is that he was the cheap option. But now it’s going to cost FA a lot of money to replace him.

In my opinion the new coach should be Herve Renard (assuming he’s available). But my prediction is that it’ll be Popa.

I dispute the cattle argument. It was his choice to play a midfield full of DMs against teams that are going to play a low block where creativity is needed to pick a lock.

It was his choice to pay 4 CBs in the back 4 against Indonesia where we needed overlapping FBs to put in some crosses.

It was his choice to continually play that useless spud Mitch Duke time after time.

I’m sorry, but our cattle isn’t the issue. its team selection.

Id say we struggle against teams ranked a bit lower than us as well- but this is probably mainly because they then often play defensive and we dont have to attacking prowess to score enough- the last 2 games are great examples.
Who knows if a different coach will be able to assist in this area- but now we will find out.

Exactly.

Under Arnold, we performed better against teams that come to play. But almost every team in Asia sits back and plays a defensive block. He has proven in 2 stints as coach as well in the Asian Champions League at club level that he has no answer to it.

Arnold received an offer to coach Hibs after the 2022 WC. that was a really good opportunity for an ageing coach to get his chance in Europe. That opportunity will never come again. He's an idiot.

< Cricket | Golf >