Slater | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Slater

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If Storm cant afford him at end of the year,
Why cant billy put on Richmond jumper?
Pack-buster
best tackler
great at marking high balls
runs like a gazelle

I would definitely look at him...

zippadeee said:
Pack-buster
best tackler
runs like a gazelle

Id say pass and avoid at all costs, can he kick an AFL footy? can we afford him the 18-24 months to get into the groove of AFL footy? not to mention 26 now. To me he's just not the kind of guy the RFC need right now, it'd be great for membership and marketing but I just can't see it paying off on the field.

Tiger_4_Life said:
Id say pass and avoid at all costs, can he kick an AFL footy? can we afford him the 18-24 months to get into the groove of AFL footy? not to mention 26 now. To me he's just not the kind of guy the RFC need right now, it'd be great for membership and marketing but I just can't see it paying off on the field.

Come on give me something!
Mcinosh to foley kicks long up goes Grifftens, balls to the front slater busts the tackle and kicks a goallllllll
Come on

P.S Mcintosh for pick 31 and tampling

zippadeee said:
Pack-buster
best tackler
runs like a gazelle

Too expensive & risky,he'll stay in League

We have enough problems making young AFL players play well at AFL.

we would be the last team that could make an NRL player play AFL well.

U2Tigers said:
we would be the last team that could make an NRL player play AFL well.

Tell you what though, we are probably the best club at taking an AFL talent and turning them into something like a Rugby League player.

at least he would have some bloody balls. Im sick of not having a hardman..

Our last blo9ke with any balls was breet evans the birdman. When you have jake king as a toughie for ya you really are struggling

We need an intimidating player

IMO he would be worth the risk - just a talented athlete all around. Not only that he hits the ball hard and is ferocious.

Tiger_4_Life said:

I'm hoping he stays at the Storm, but JFYI they were discussing this on the radio yesterday. Forget who, but one commentator said that one of the clubs coaching people (think the Pies) had seen Slater kicking a Sherrin, and considered his skills to be exceptional.

For me age would be the issue, by the time he loses the muscle necessary, and adapts to the differences in the game play, his use by date would nearly be up

One of the commentators on SEN was saying how Storm and Carlton had a training run together over pre-season and they played a little Rugby then swapped and played footy for a bit.

Slater killed them in footy and was the best player on the ground and his kicking was spot on.
This commentator said he was told this by Carlton players and coaches.

I also remember when the Storm boys trained with Geelong last year and Mark Thompson was saying Slater was unbelievable and he rang rings around Gary Ablett.

But we would have no chance of getting him,only Gold Coast or West Sydney would have a chance because they could offer him massive money.

michael roach said:
One of the commentators on SEN was saying how Storm and Carlton had a training run together over pre-season and they played a little Rugby then swapped and played footy for a bit.

Slater killed them in footy and was the best player on the ground and his kicking was spot on.
This commentator said he was told this by Carlton players and coaches.

I also remember when the Storm boys trained with Geelong last year and Mark Thompson was saying Slater was unbelievable and he rang rings around Gary Ablett.

But we would have no chance of getting him,only Gold Coast or West Sydney would have a chance because they could offer him massive money.
Exactly

He's outside the salary cap, and the marketing dollars he'd produce would get a lot of his salary back.

I'd make a big play for him, he's an ultra professional at everything he does - I would Slater training alongside our guys for the next 5 years!

michael roach said:
....... because they could offer him massive money.

and please tell me why we wouldn't have that kind of money again? It's not like we need to be paying half these current monkeys for their crap service and just to make up the dollars we have to spend! I watched Slater in the Gillette challenge in the kicking for goal against Lids - he handled the ball really well and is very fast and evasive. He handled all of the speed challenges very very well. He is an outstanding all round athlete that could add something to our side. I would much prefer taking a risk on someone like him than risking it all on an unknown in the draft. We all see what that brings us year after year! SFA after our first pick, who once he hits our team never lives up to his potential.