Should we be this crap? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should we be this crap?

ozserpico66

Tiger Rookie
Oct 12, 2003
Bulleen
I've done a comparison of the team that beat Essendon in Rd 17 - 2009 to the team that lost to Geelong yesterday

Out of the Team

Nathan Brown
Trent Cotchin
Jordan McMahon
Adam Pattison
Tom Hislop
Richard Tambling
Matt White
Jarrod Silvester
Jayden Post
Jake King

In to the Team

Troy Simmonds
Mitch Farmer
Alex Rance
Shane Tuck
Andrew Collins
David Astbury
Kelvin Moore
Nathan Foley
Matt Dea
Ben Nason

Now apart from Matt Dea the quality of the ins matches the outs, yet the 2010 looks to be 5 - 6 goals worse a side.

Why is it so???

How come you compared out team the R19 essendon clash and not last year's Geelong clash. Round 6 vs Rnd 19 doesn't really make much sense unless it's the same side - for comparitive purposes............ ???

I am up at Wangaratta at the moment and went to the local derby between Wangaratta and Wangaratta Rovers yesterday. Considering what I've seen from Richmond this year we'd struggle to beat either of these country sides and wouldn't get within 6 goals of a composite of the two. We've got too many blokes incapable of improving to league standard, simple as that. Ditch those blokes from the team TODAY and put in blokes you CAN teach. Hardwick is starting down that path and its going to be pretty dark before the dawn of our new power era.

Phar Ace said:
How come you compared out team the R19 essendon clash and not last year's Geelong clash. Round 6 vs Rnd 19 doesn't really make much sense unless it's the same side - for comparitive purposes............ ???

I chose Essendon because Richo didn't play in that win.

Here is the difference b/w 2009 Rd 2 (20 Point loss) and 2010 RD 6 (108 Points) v Geelong

OUT

Nathan Brown
Joel Bowden
Matthew Richardson
Jay Schulz
Tom Hislop
Matt White
Angus Graham
Jake King

IN

Will Thursfield
Matt Dea
Andrew Collins
David Astbury
Ben Cousins
Ben Nason
Tyrone Vickery
Mitch Farmer

Should there be an 88 Point difference between these sides?

OUT (Played 2009) IN (Played 2010)
OUT Nathan Brown IN Andy Collins Upgrade or downgrade?
OUT Joel Bowden IN Matt Dea Upgrade or downgrade?
OUT Matthew Richardson IN David Astbury Upgrade or downgrade?
OUT Jay Schulz IN Will Thursfield Upgrade or downgrade?
OUT Tom Hislop IN Ben Cousins Upgrade or downgrade?
Out Matt White IN Ben Nason Upgrade or downgrade?
OUT Angus Graham IN Tyrone Vickery Upgrade or downgrade?
OUT Jake King IN Mitch Farmer Upgrade or downgrade?

Upgrades: ? Downgrades: ?

Overall: ?

Perhaps this challenges some?

Phar Ace said:
OUT (Played 2009)IN (Played 2010)
OUT Nathan Brown IN Andy Collins downgrade
OUT Joel Bowden IN Matt Dea downgrade
OUT Matthew Richardson IN David Astbury downgrade
OUT Jay Schulz IN Will Thursfield Upgrade
OUT Tom Hislop IN Ben Cousins Upgrade
Out Matt White IN Ben Nason Upgrade
OUT Angus Graham IN Tyrone Vickery Upgrade
OUT Jake King IN Mitch Farmer Upgrade

Upgrades: ? Downgrades: ? Overall: ?

First and last time i use the BB table function ;)

Phar Ace said:
OUT (Played 2009) IN (Played 2010)
OUT Nathan Brown IN Andy Collins Downgrade
OUT Joel Bowden IN Matt Dea Downgrade
OUT Matthew Richardson IN David Astbury Downgrade
OUT Jay Schulz IN Will Thursfield Upgrade
OUT Tom Hislop IN Ben Cousins Upgrade
Out Matt White IN Ben Nason Even
OUT Angus Graham IN Tyrone Vickery Upgrade
OUT Jake King IN Mitch Farmer Even

Upgrades: 3 Downgrades: 3 Even: 2

Would that equate to an 88 point difference? I wouldn't think so.

What about going comparing round 6 in 2007 with round 6 in 2010. In 2007 we lose by 157 points, 2010 we lose by 108

OUTS
Bowden
Hughes
Hyde
Johnson
King
Meyer
JON
Pettifer
Polak
Raines
Richardson
Schulz
White

INS
Astbury
Collins
Cousins
Dea
Edwards
Farmer
Morton
Nahas
Nason
Polo
Rance
Riewoldt
Thursfield
Vickery

Happy with all the OUTS (either for age or dud reasons) happy with some of the INS. Morton and Riewoldt could play in other sides but not the role we ask them to play. Vickery and Astbury look like long keepers. Nahas, Nason and Rance may fill a role. The rest we just have to be careful they don't become Hydes, Schulz & Pettifers and stay 4 years passed their use by dates stopping us from feeding half a dozen new draftees through the sysem.

bigster said:
I am up at Wangaratta at the moment and went to the local derby between Wangaratta and Wangaratta Rovers yesterday. Considering what I've seen from Richmond this year we'd struggle to beat either of these country sides and wouldn't get within 6 goals of a composite of the two.
I’m prepared to give you poetic licence here – and assume that you mean this as an deliberately exaggerated analogy i.e. not meant to be taken literally.
Because if you were serious – it could only be classified as the ramblings of a complete idiot.

serpico_66 said:
I've done a comparison of the team that beat Essendon in Rd 17 - 2009 to the team that lost to Geelong yesterday

Out of the Team

Nathan Brown
Trent Cotchin
Jordan McMahon
Adam Pattison
Tom Hislop
Richard Tambling
Matt White
Jarrod Silvester
Jayden Post
Jake King

In to the Team

Troy Simmonds
Mitch Farmer
Alex Rance
Shane Tuck
Andrew Collins
David Astbury
Kelvin Moore
Nathan Foley
Matt Dea
Ben Nason

Now apart from Matt Dea the quality of the ins matches the outs, yet the 2010 looks to be 5 - 6 goals worse a side.

Why is it so???
i question the value of comparing individual games to form conclusions. we are that crap but go back and look at Geelong on the tape. They were at their clinical best in front of their home crowd. :rofl if the Swans beat them comfortably next week.

a better way to look at it is that the players from Sunday that will be around when/if we come good will be: Delidio, Reiwoldt, Collins, Astbury, Nason, Morton, Nahas, Foley, Vickery, Dea. this is obviously debatable. i'm more concerned about the future of those players than what we did last year.

Tenacious said:
I’m prepared to give you poetic licence here – and assume that you mean this as an deliberately exaggerated analogy i.e. not meant to be taken literally.
Because if you were serious – it could only be classified as the ramblings of a complete idiot.

Agreed.

I look at the salary cap minimum we have to pay.

after thinking about that - NO we shouldn't be this bad.

who the *smile* does the money go to.

Last year the team was in year 5 of learning and implementing team structures and game plan. Right now we are 4 months in. On top of that, looking at the comparison to the rnd 2 game last year the first three names equate to about 750 games of experience.

patience is what is required

Tenacious said:

:rofl

No I think he is serious - the exaggerated analogy came across loud and clear but then to add the detail about the 'composite' sort of suggests a serious line.....

bigster said:
I am up at Wangaratta at the moment and went to the local derby between Wangaratta and Wangaratta Rovers yesterday. Considering what I've seen from Richmond this year we'd struggle to beat either of these country sides and wouldn't get within 6 goals of a composite of the two.

Arguably the silliest post ever on PRE!

and that takes some doing!!

U2Tigers said:
I look at the salary cap minimum we have to pay.

after thinking about that - NO we shouldn't be this bad.

who the *smile* does the money go to.

contracts have been front ended for several players off memory

were noit playin anywhere near afl std pure and simple. for profssional afl players its just not acceptable at all. you can say young team, new game plan etc etc, but the simple thngs about footy are always the same, and we fail to do the simple things. bottom line, NOT ACCEPTABLE.

serpico_66 said:
I chose Essendon because Richo didn't play in that win.

Here is the difference b/w 2009 Rd 2 (20 Point loss) and 2010 RD 6 (108 Points) v Geelong

OUT

Nathan Brown
Joel Bowden
Matthew Richardson
Jay Schulz
Tom Hislop
Matt White
Angus Graham
Jake King

IN

Will Thursfield
Matt Dea
Andrew Collins
David Astbury
Ben Cousins
Ben Nason
Tyrone Vickery
Mitch Farmer

Should there be an 88 Point difference between these sides?

short answer is at least 10g difference YES...onyl a small matter of 3 AA players in that lot that were absent yesterday and replaced with complete NON contributors