See you later free speech, it was nice knowing you. [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

See you later free speech, it was nice knowing you. [Merged]

Re: See you later free speech, it was nice knowing you.

Bolta hasn't come a cropper because of defamation law though, it was the Racial Discrimination Act.

So his report was full of errors, he didnt try to talk to anyone he was writing about and he used google as the basis for his research.
quality 'journalism' as always.
im sure though he will have his next story published, and it will be written with the same high standards.

Wait what, poor journalism is against the law? Hope Hutchy gets a good lawyer.

Brodders17 said:
So his report was full of errors, he didnt try to talk to anyone he was writing about and he used google as the basis for his research.
quality 'journalism' as always.
im sure though he will have his next story published, and it will be written with the same high standards.

I'm shocked he used Google

Brodders17 said:
im surprised that alone did not lead to jail time.

I wonder if he went straight to Wikipedia

Brodders17 said:

Sub Pro-Stats or Footywire for google and you could be discussing 99% of PRE posters

Re: The future of PRE

'but when writers publish disinformation dressed up as fact, lies as truth, slander as objective evaluation and call it free speech, they are devaluing its very essence and betraying all those who've fought for it'

This quote sums up the writings of Bolt and his cronies and other small-minded people like Alan Jones who continually attack those who promote the rights of the most marginalised in our society. The latest ruling is fantastic as it may force Bolt to actually think before he speaks or writes. However, I wouldn't think that a footy web site like PRE that publishes the vitriolic ranting of supporters who slag players is in the same league.

Big Cat Lover said:
Sub Pro-Stats or Footywire for google and you could be discussing 99% of PRE posters

If only we got paid as much as Bolt does for our biased and skewed opinions facts.

Tigers of Old said:
Makes me feel better saying it. The guy is a tosser and it's my right to say so.

As if this is end of free speech. Talk about being melodramatic.

You have to be a tosser to make the link between you getting a court ruling against you as an opionion writer, and the end of free speech.

Re: The future of PRE

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Andrew Bolt's been found guilty of racial discrimination in the case about his columns arguing that fair-skinned aborigines take advantage of their heritage:

The judge in the Bolt case was named as Justice Mordecai Bromberg. Wonder if this is the former St.Kilda player from the early 80's? Can't be too many Mordecai Brombergs in the world.

Streak said:
You have to be a tosser to make the link between you getting a court ruling against you as an opionion writer, and the end of free speech.
A nail in freedom's coffin to thunderous applause eh.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/assault-on-free-speech-should-be-offensive-to-all/story-e6frg71x-1226149983139

Here's a more balanced assessment of the case from David Marr - used to head up "Media Watch" on ABC TV, so he knows all about journalistic excesses. In this case I'm tending more towards Baloo's assessment that Bolt made significant errors of fact or told lies - either make him culpable.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/in-black-and-white-andrew-bolt-trifled-with-the-facts-20110928-1kxba.html

Couple of good articles there for both sides.

Liked this comment at the bottom:
"Bad day for Bolt, good day for factual reporting and analysis ...

But I do feel sorry for him - if Alan Jones can get away with lying and making things up, poor old Andrew should be able to do the same no? It's only opinion after all, so it doesn't have to have any basis in fact?"

Giardiasis said:
What were his significant errors or lies? He got LB's father's ancestry wrong?
The main error and lie was that he said that these 9 people chose to be seen as Aboriginal for the purpose of some gain . That is patently incorrect . Every one of them was raised in the Aboriginal culture and had no choice .
This was a case of a journalist deciding he wanted to make a point , doing poor research , getting his facts wrong and by doing so making accusations against people that were wrong and offensive . He was very lucky they did no sue for damages , something they deliberatley decided not to do so they would not be seen to be profiting from the action.
We have free speech in this country , Andrew Bolt is exercising it now by his writings on the judgement . What we don't have is the right of people to write opinion pieces that are based on lies and that result in some form of damage or hurt and then to plead innocence because of the right to free speech . That principle applies to left , right , middle , black ,brown , green and yellow .
I will vehemently defend Andrew Bolt's right to his opinion and his right to express it but I cannot defend what he has done in this case .

Sintiger said:
The main error and lie was that he said that these 9 people chose to be seen as Aboriginal for the purpose of some gain . That is patently incorrect . Every one of them was raised in the Aboriginal culture and had no choice .
This was a case of a journalist deciding he wanted to make a point , doing poor research , getting his facts wrong and by doing so making accusations against people that were wrong and offensive . He was very lucky they did no sue for damages , something they deliberatley decided not to do so they would not be seen to be profiting from the action.
We have free speech in this country , Andrew Bolt is exercising it now by his writings on the judgement . What we don't have is the right of people to write opinion pieces that are based on lies and that result in some form of damage or hurt and then to plead innocence because of the right to free speech . That principle applies to left , right , middle , black ,brown , green and yellow .
I will vehemently defend Andrew Bolt's right to his opinion and his right to express it but I cannot defend what he has done in this case .
If you read the articles he says, "I'm not saying any of those I've named chose to be Aboriginal for anything but the most heartfelt and honest of reasons. I certainly don't accuse them of opportunism, even if full-blood Aborigines may wonder how such fair people can claim to be one of them and take black jobs."

So the judge decided his intention was something else, no-where did Bolt explicitly imply what you just said.

Giardiasis said:
If you read the articles he says, "I'm not saying any of those I've named chose to be Aboriginal for anything but the most heartfelt and honest of reasons. I certainly don't accuse them of opportunism, even if full-blood Aborigines may wonder how such fair people can claim to be one of them and take black jobs."

So the judge decided his intention was something else, no-where did Bolt explicitly imply what you just said.
thats not what the judge said . This is a quote from the Age article this morning

Bolt on Larissa Behrendt: "She's won many positions and honours as an Aborigine, including the David Unaipon Award for Indigenous Writers, and is often interviewed demanding special rights for 'my people'. But which people are 'yours', exactly, mein liebchen? And isn't it bizarre to demand laws to give you more rights as a white Aborigine than your own white dad?"

Among the problems here are that Behrendt's father was a black Australian, not a white German. And like all the others, Behrendt was raised black. Judge Bromberg wrote: "She denies Mr Bolt's suggestion that she chose to be Aboriginal and says that she never had a choice, she has always been Aboriginal and has 'identified as Aboriginal since before I can remember'." Bolt didn't contest her evidence.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/in-black-and-white-andrew-bolt-trifled-with-the-facts-20110928-1kxba.html#ixzz1ZIuLod00

What he wrote was truly offensive . The way he referred to her as "mein leibchen "is a very cynical way of saying she is German , not indigeous , and that she made the choice to be aboriginal for gain . The fact that it isn't true , something that Bolt hasn't even tried to defend , is reprehensible .