Pull your socks up Tigers!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pull your socks up Tigers!!

Champion Data have started taking statistics on this and guess what: we're 16th in the competition for socks up.

Gary March and the "process" have made a big blunder. Hardwick's blueprint makes no mention of keeping socks up whereas I know that it was a key plank in Hinkley's presentation, and why he was so quickly snapped up by Gold Coast.

collector said:
I've never understood this obsession with socks up. I played rugby union as a kid, at a fairly decent level too, and always played socks down. Purely personal preference and even when coaches made me run out with them up, they came down quick smart first chance I got.

I was exactly the same playing football or soccer. Did not like having my socks up. Coaches would tell me to pull them up before the game, and I run out on the park and pull them straight down.

No idea why, but did it from a very early age.

Yep socks up boys and another pet hate of mine and ive done reserch on this teams that rock up to the game wearin suits 97 percent of the time lose they should be made to always wear the colours

"Hands of c..ks pull up socks!"

That's what the Corporal would yell at us to get us moving of a morning...............................

It worked - got us motivated and moving - might do the same for the young tigers :rofl :rofl :rofl

So, to clarify, i think the thing with the socks is that they (socks-downers) cut them off right? the reason is simple and also makes sense. When you run 16K a game you don't want the weight or the heat from socks.
Me, i prefer socks up, but i don't think there is any danger of me being a running midfielder.

hutstar said:
When you run 16K a game you don't want the weight or the heat from socks.

Ben Nason ran 20 kilometres against Adelaide. His socks were up the whole game.

Shoots down the heat from socks argument, if heat from socks was a problem, the boys wouldn't be wearing any jumpers! ::)

tannerztigers said:
I can't stand playing with my socks down.

I was the opposite.Do the NBAplayers play better with them up ? I know it's a personal choice but i think it looks stupid & has no effect on how someone plays.Besides how many jumpers do you see tucked in now ?

hopper said:
My Dad did always tell me, "If you can't be a good footballer, at least look like one."

Thanks Dad - the therapy really is starting to work ... I think. ;)

I remember that one well,all my coaches in the Juniors in the 1980`s would say that to us,my Dad used to say it too... "Tuck ya jumpers in and pull ya bloody socks up,if ya can`t be a footballer at least look like one".

GoodOne said:
Computer socks, they never go down.

I had a girlfriend once I dubbed computer girl. It didnt work out. But back to the thread, I reckon freedom of expression when it comes to socks up or down. I think the wearing of socks probably reflects the personality of the wearer rather than their football ability. I reckon for every Nathan Buckley or Matthew Lloyd with their sock to knee, tucked in jumper approach, there's probably an equal number of gifted, sock-around-the-laces types. Great thread.

Why do they need socks at all?

BTW gollywog, love the girlfriends nickname