Pull your socks up Tigers!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pull your socks up Tigers!!

sashback

Our saviour??
Aug 22, 2005
The current band of leaders at the club eg. Hardwick, Gale, March etc, are trying to make Richmond a powerhouse again through the playing group being disciplined, talented, team orientated professionals.
With our colours being the best in the league, we look a treat when we bust through the banner and jog around in a close united group.

Except for one thing.

Our bloody socks!

If I was coaching Richmond, there wouldn't be 1 player that ran onto the ground with his socks down! Of the current players running around for us now, it's only the rucks (who only keep their socks up to hold their shin guards in place), Ben Nason and Daniel Jackson that keep their socks up that I can think of!

You need to see the colour of the sock at times when you're on the bottom of a pack. Mistakes have been made I'm sure when no yellow of the sock has been sighted and subsequently, a handball has been shot off to an opponent.

Get a bit more professional Tiges, and keep your bloody socks pulled up!
We look a hell of a lot better as a team and we also look a lot more disciplined.

My Dad did always tell me, "If you can't be a good footballer, at least look like one."

Thanks Dad - the therapy really is starting to work ... I think. ;)

I've never understood this obsession with socks up. I played rugby union as a kid, at a fairly decent level too, and always played socks down. Purely personal preference and even when coaches made me run out with them up, they came down quick smart first chance I got.

Realistically? What bloody difference does it make lol

Wow I wish discipline came down to whether your socks were up or down. I have done my own research and have found there is no correlation between socks up and down and discipline. Let's move on from the 60s shall we? Or maybe ankle length dresses for women appearing in public should also be reintroduced.

It makes sense that the more readily visible the colours are the more benefit to the team. If a player is at the bottom of the pack wanting to get the ball out quickly it could be a real advantage if he clearly saw yellow and black socks. Imagine how hard it would be in that situation if everyone out there wore the same coloured socks. Not a massive issue but one that could possibly tip the odds a bit in our favour occasionally.

Didn't Redmond have a 'brilliant' thread on this issue a while back...... :hihi

rosy23 said:
It makes sense that the more readily visible the colours are the more benefit to the team. If a player is at the bottom of the pack wanting to get the ball out quickly it could be a real advantage if he clearly saw yellow and black socks. Imagine how hard it would be in that situation if everyone out there wore the same coloured socks. Not a massive issue but one that could possibly tip the odds a bit in our favour occasionally.

haha now at least THIS is a valid reasoning, rather than "look like a footballer"

But what if the tape/garter used to keep your socks up restricts blood flow to the jeopardied ankles/calves/achilles' of the likes of Foley and Cotchin?? Could be the crippling of our midfield. Didn't think of that one did we?! ;)

Yep it's on the other thread about socks hopper. Just need to design socks that stay up without garters. Technology has come a long way so I'm sure it's possible.

Cycling knicks use a gel gripper to hold the legs in place & the same is used for cycling armwarmers and kneewarmers. This is relatively easy to apply during production and will keep socks up with no problems.
rosy23 said:
Yep it's on the other thread about socks hopper. Just need to design socks that stay up without garters. Technology has come a long way so I'm sure it's possible.

Now I'm like to be showing my age here, but I recall socks up vs socks down have some distinct differences. I played when grounds were, well, crap.

A boggy ground can really weigh your socks down, have seen players miskick because their socks have ended up over the boot laces, and in the era of flat punt, drop kick and the might torp, these kicks often made impact higher up the foot and nearer the sock.

So it is more a bygone era issue I would think - though do like the sock-seeing reasoning too.

Is there any validity in the "at least look like a footballer' argument? Wouldn;t have a clue, but I know I turned up for a game against Tooronga / East Malvern once with the wrong socks - my first game in 1's that season - was verballed by the coach in front of everyone, and stood down from the game - thanks Baz for that ::) ;D

Well known and documented.

-------------------------
pull your socks up
to make an effort to improve your work or behaviour because it is not good enough He's going to have to pull his socks up if he wants to stay in the team.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/pull+socks+up

French Tiger said:
Is the least of our concerns & i can tell you 100% it will not make them play any better.
i think you're underestimating the importance of this topic when it comes to the future success of our club. If I don't see our mission statement rewritten to include socks then I can't guarantee I'll be renewing my membership next year.