Proposed changes to the game poll | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Proposed changes to the game poll

Do you support the changes being discussed?

• Yes cap interchange

Votes: 46 71.9%
  • No cap interchange

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Yes shorten quarters

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • No shorten quarters

Votes: 46 71.9%

• Total voters
And for those worrying about if injuries occur and you are out of interchanges that could be fixed as well with a variation to the cap rules allowing for an interchange to occur for an injured player if the injured player is not allowed back in the game or has to wait 1 or more quarters.

I voted for capping the interchanges and against shortening quarters.

In capping the interchanges, teams should be able to nominate to the stewards that a specific injury interchange is a replacement that would not get counted in the cap. The replaced player would not be allowed to come back on.

I would like 2 see 2 players inside FWD 50 at all times (unless leading for the ball) and 3 (total) goal side of the square. That would slow things down.

GoodOne said:
There is no doubt it is causing more soft tissue injuries due to the pace.

Interestingly Dan Jackson doesn't think capping interchanges will fix that.

"The game is very, very quick now. But my opinion on capping interchanges is that you're going to have more fatigued players doing more fatigue injuries which is hamstring-related, calf-related, any of the soft-tissue stuff.

Paul Roos mentioned Jacko's comments about this on 7 news last night and agreed with him.

What about the 'play on' for any backwards kick in defence rule?
Sam Newman re-ignited this on last night's F.S - I know it was trialled a couple of years ago in the NAB pre-season comp. and then never mentioned again??
I thought it was a good rule...it certainly opened the game up.

rosy23 said:
Interestingly Dan Jackson doesn't think capping interchanges will fix that.

Paul Roos mentioned Jacko's comments about this on 7 news last night and agreed with him.

There are numerous others who disagree with the view of Jackson and Roos. It looked pretty clear cut to me from what I read. Clear increase in soft tissue injuries on average every year in line with the increase in interchanges every year over the last 5 years. Also the expert opinion of the organisation that researched this on behalf of the AFL. They said further research was needed (probably lining themselves up another contract), obviously to further consider other variables.