Possible back to back foursome | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Possible back to back foursome

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
So what's our thoughts on the likelihood of a premiership foursome for Hawthorn? :vomit

Obviously the media is busy creaming their pants over Hawthorn while their third straight is fresh in the collective mind. But despite the fact they won convincingly on Grand Final day, do we think this disguises signs that cracks were appearing in the aura of invincibility throughout the H&A season?

In the recent era Collingwood went through a dominant period with an aura of invincibility. After they demolished St.Kilda in the 2010 replay, talk was of a 'premiership dynasty'. Yet they were flogged by Geelong in the 2011 decider and went into decline from then on. Geelong after destroying Collingwood in 2011 were thought to have caught a second wind and their dominance would continue. 2011 was the last we saw of them before going into gradual decline.

As the old cliché goes, 1 year is an eternity in football.

Odds on. Worth it happening just to read your posting PT. :hihi

rosy23 said:
Odds on. Worth it happening just to read your posting PT. :hihi
You weren't an 80s child Rosy....hence I'd expect it's something you'll never quite understand..... :help

Think of it like Baby boomers whom despise Carlton (or baby boomers whom despise Richmond for that matter).

Look at it this way. Hawks played (and won 3 of) the last 4 GFs against non-Vic teams, so 'stage fright' could've been a part for the losing teams in some way. Brisbane had a chance for 4 in a row in 2004 but lost. I reckon the Hawks might fade out next season.....maybe.

TigerForce said:
Look at it this way. Hawks played (and won 3 of) the last 4 GFs against non-Vic teams, so 'stage fright' could've been a part for the losing teams in some way. Brisbane had a chance for 4 in a row in 2004 but lost. I reckon the Hawks might fade out next season.....maybe.

Not to mention a massive home ground advantage! My theory only but as we are a national sport the GF should be played in the state that earned the right, i.e. West Australia. Not a popular view, I know but my ten cents worth. A side note, no doubt the AFL will change this in the first year the tigers finally get there so we don't get a home ground advantage. :rofl

T44

Tiger44 said:
Not to mention a massive home ground advantage! My theory only but as we are a national sport the GF should be played in the state that earned the right, i.e. West Australia. Not a popular view, I know but my ten cents worth. A side note, no doubt the AFL will change this in the first year the tigers finally get there so we don't get a home ground advantage. :rofl

T44
Yep just as they'll change free agency to exclude top four teams from participating just as we squeeze into the top four.

Awesome work by Hawks if that happens.
Wonder if they are still reeling that they lost out on Terry Wallace?

Tiger44 said:

T44

Nah it stays at the MCG. I don't remember them playing grand finals at Victoria Park or Princes Park when they played home games there. Can't imagine playing a final to 25,000 at Carrara or 40,000 at the Gabba.

3 times in a row they've either had very ordinary opposition on the day or a side shooting themselves in the foot.

ToraToraTora said:
3 times in a row they've either had very ordinary opposition on the day or a side shooting themselves in the foot.

or they just know what it takes to win a Grand Final

IMO it's unlikely.
Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Burgoyne all a year older and much closer to the finish of their careers.
I think they'll be top 4 but that's about it.

Will still be the best list at the start of 2016, weather teams improve enough or the injury gods aren't on the side who knows, surely must be a chance with a few other sides

If they make it again they will win. They are too experienced now and have too much intimidation factor to lose. The Eagles were like overawed kids in the lolly shop on Saturday. After four Grand Finals in a row, they now own the day.

Two teams have to emerge from the pack or it will be more if the same next year.

Hurtung litherland anderson langford
To come in those 4 aint duds, i definitely
Think they've got one more flag in them.

If they do 4peat then it will fly in the face of the AFL's claim of a level equal competition.

To be very blunt once the Tigers were eliminated I lost interest in the finals - then when I heard on the news it had became a Hawks v Eagles GF I felt our comp is becoming like the Barkley's Football League in the UK only a couple of wealthy clubs have a real chance of winning.

Only 5 clubs have won the flag in the last decade - only 7 in the last 15 years.

Is it the wealthy clubs getting wealthier and the poorer clubs can go please themselves?

Is it the inclusion of two new teams that has caused a dearth of talent for the lower/middle of the road clubs - thus the top clubs competition is weakened?

Is it great management at 5 clubs and shocking management at the other 13 clubs?

Is it the woeful lopsided draw?

Is it a combination of all four above?

Whatever it is the AFL as a competition is losing its appeal to me and I dare say many others.

Who will be the true contenders for the flag in 2016? Hawks, Freo, Weagles, Swans - the rest will make up the numbers.

RemoteTiger said:
Is it the wealthy clubs getting wealthier and the poorer clubs can go please themselves?

Is it the inclusion of two new teams that has caused a dearth of talent for the lower/middle of the road clubs - thus the top clubs competition is weakened?

Is it great management at 5 clubs and shocking management at the other 13 clubs?

I consider Richmond and Collingwood to be among the richer clubs. Memberships, assets, attendances, supporter base, sponsorship appeal etc.

The better clubs seem to be able to improve their lists.

Not sure about the fixture either. We had 7 much coveted Friday night games. Hawks were judged as the harshest draw.

I reckon you could probably argue for a bit of each of the 4 but to me management and making the right decisions is the major factor. Hawks have done it well.

RemoteTiger said:
If they do 4peat then it will fly in the face of the AFL's claim of a level equal competition.

To be very blunt once the Tigers were eliminated I lost interest in the finals - then when I heard on the news it had became a Hawks v Eagles GF I felt our comp is becoming like the Barkley's Football League in the UK only a couple of wealthy clubs have a real chance of winning.

Only 5 clubs have won the flag in the last decade - only 7 in the last 15 years.

Whatever it is the AFL as a competition is losing its appeal to me and I dare say many others.

Who will be the true contenders for the flag in 2016? Hawks, Freo, Weagles, Swans - the rest will make up the numbers.

To me it's definitely been the dearth of talent available to lower and middle rung clubs created during the compromised draft period. This combined with the timing of the introduction of free agency have created the perfect storm to artificially keep Hawthorn better than the rest of the comp for longer.

Sure, without these peculiarities Hawthorn probably would have won two or three in an era (like Swans and Geelong have). But I seriously doubt a three peat, or indeed four peat, on top of their 2008 premiership would have been possible.

I'd argue that Collingwood of 2010 and 2011 went through a period of 12 months where they were as formidable with an aura of invincibility as Hawthorn. As did Geelong at various times during their successful reign. But what shortened those periods compared to Hawthorn is that equalization measures were self fulfilling. Meddle with the model and create distortions and Hawthorn of the current era is what you create.

Your dislike of Hawthorn aside Panthera do you think they've contributed to their own successful reign by playing their cards right..starting with getting Alistair as coach?

rosy23 said:
Your dislike of Hawthorn aside Panthera do you think they've contributed to their own successful reign by playing their cards right..starting with getting Alistair as coach?
To an extent Rosy. But anymore than say Collingwood of 2010/2011 - whom only managed the one premiership in their time of dominance (despite predictions of a dynasty)? Or St.Kilda of 2006ish-2010, whom patiently built a team through drafting well and picking up Lyon as a coach. Were strong for a good period of time, came within a bad bounce of a premiership, but have no silverware to show for it? Or Geelong from 2006ish to 2011 - whom I'd argue, at their best were more formidable than Hawthorn, Collingwood etc of recent times, yet don't have the same silverware as Hawthorn to show for it?

For all of those sides (and the swans) the thing that stands out to me is the evenness of the comp even amongst the top couple. Something that has been lacking for the past few years, which I feel the points I made in my previous post have contributed greatly to.

The other three peat of the modern era was of course Brisbane. Again, an example of distortions created by the AFL. Deliberate on that occasion as opposed to accidental with Hawthorn.