Position Vacant: Power Forward | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Position Vacant: Power Forward

Tigers of Old said:
Players are looking for opportunity, we can't play them all. With lots of clubs looking for tall forwards, the club is actually in a great position heading into this trading period if we want to trade a player or 2 for draft picks to then forward on. The key is working out which ones are dispensable.

Griff and Astbury for me. A Jack/ Ty/ Bean/ [insert boom small fwd here] fwd line, with Macca being grromed, wow.

(I'd be happy to keep Griff too, depending on how things shake down, just don't want to lose Ty or Bean)

Forward Line for 2017:

Deledio Jack Vickery
Motlop McBean Edwards

That's about a thousand goals.

Tigers of Old said:
Players are looking for opportunity, we can't play them all. With lots of clubs looking for tall forwards, the club is actually in a great position heading into this trading period if we want to trade a player or 2 for draft picks to then forward on. The key is working out which ones are dispensable.

this has always been the key thing for me ToO.

we got Griffiths, who before his yips became entrenched was the preferred power forward / relief ruck over Vickery.

we got McBean, who is getting bigger VERY quickly. I was at Box Hill and it is obvious how well he is tracking physically.

it all comes down to this - we cannot play both Griffiths and Vickery IMO in coming years.

i know this makes the true believers a little fidgety, but the harsh truth is Tyrone Vickery will never adequately assume #1 ruck duties, nor will he do enough as a forward to warrant taking Griff's or McBean's place.

IF we are to assume that Griff won't take that #1 ruck either (McBean might in time), where does that leave Tyrone?

The harsh, honest answer to that is trade bait.

I don't think Vickery is a spud.

I do think he is neither here nor there in the structure of our team moving forward from 2016.

He's more of a natural key forward no doubt but if Griff is going to usurp Ty he needs to do 2 things a lot better than currently.
1: Be aggressive at all contests.
2. Kick straight when he has the opportunity.
I have actually been pretty disappointed with Ben's season overall. Expected more this year.
Won't be surprised if he is the one on the trade table. I actually won't be surprised if both he and Ty are and see what we are offered.
Both are serviceable but neither are really the best we could do in that power forward position.

Just have to disagree. Good problem to have. I reckon Ty will be here and there. Just one of those players with presence who makes things happen IMO. May not tick all the power forward/ ruck boxes all the time (who does?), but integral. Contested marking and ruck work will get better, when it does, 8-

Tigers of Old said:
Both are serviceable but neither are really the best we could do in that power forward position.

this is the problem that can't be glossed over just because we are in red hot form.

and why i think we can't play both.

agree re: griffiths.

hard to split the two at the minute.

No such thing as a power forward in today's game. Mobility and the ability to harass are the key components of a dangerous forward line nowadays.

Tigers of Old said:
He's more of a natural key forward no doubt but if Griff is going to usurp Ty he needs to do 2 things a lot better than currently.
1: Be aggressive at all contests.
2. Kick straight when he has the opportunity.
I have actually been pretty disappointed with Ben's season overall. Expected more this year.
Won't be surprised if he is the one on the trade table. I actually won't be surprised if both he and Ty are and see what we are offered.

I bolded your point 1 as I think Griff is. I don't think many people see what he does crashing packs and bringing the ball to ground or his second efforts. He certainly tackles and tackles more efficiently then Ty does. But on the other side of the ledger he is just too injured and people could be excused for having thoughts of trading him. Ben also does quite ok in the ruck. Ty is just as frustrating. Has potential but his defensive efforts are laughable at times and his second efforts are rare. But he gets on the scoreboard more often so there is a conundrum there. Tough decisions will be made, if not this year then definitely next year. They have to be for the club to move forward.

McKenzie is the one to watch. Absolutely.

Vickery is not a power forward he doesnt jump for the mark, takes white men cant jump too seriously and believes in it
Always looks for easy goals out the back of a pack youd think hes was a crumbing midget not a tall pack busting forward
FFS Vickery fire up make the power spot yours or its trade bait
Agree our future is looking good with McJesus & McKenzie in the wings

Tommy H said:
I bolded your point 1 as I think Griff is. I don't think many people see what he does crashing packs and bringing the ball to ground or his second efforts. He certainly tackles and tackles more efficiently then Ty does.

He has improved in this area. I still don't think he takes anywhere near enough contested marks.
Ivvy looked more at home at CHF than either Jack or Ty have this year. :eek:

Tigers of Old said:
He has improved in this area. I still don't think he takes anywhere near enough contested marks.
Ivvy looked more at home at CHF than either Jack or Ty have this year. :eek:

Love the big Ivvy but he is no CHF, far from it and that is the dilemma we have currently. He's nice to be having resting down there definitely. Either Ty or when fit Griff needs to make that spot their own. To date, neither have, which in turn is a conundrum for our efforts to push into contention. And before others chip in about McBean, he is not in the same position in terms of team structure as those two previously mentioned imo.

Tommy H said:
Love the big Ivvy but he is no CHF, far from it and that is the dilemma we have currently. He's nice to be having resting down there definitely. Either Ty or when fit Griff needs to make that spot their own. To date, neither have, which in turn is a conundrum for our efforts to push into contention. And before others chip in about McBean, he is not in the same position in terms of team structure as those two previously mentioned imo.

Agree 100%.

It's obvious that vickerys improvement is in the one percenters,he was dropped a few times for not impacting on the game when he's not playing well, but this area has improved big time, he chases harder and tackles hard and his down games are lots more competitive,and when he clunks marks we become very hard to beat, best of all he has got the one thing many good and even great forwards don't always have, he's a great kick.

jokershoppe said:
It's obvious that vickerys improvement is in the one percenters,he was dropped a few times for not impacting on the game when he's not playing well, but this area has improved big time, he chases harder and tackles hard and his down games are lots more competitive,and when he clunks marks we become very hard to beat, best of all he has got the one thing many good and even great forwards don't always have, he's a great kick.

Agree on the kicking, thats the real plus point around Vickery. The problem is I fail to see the clunking of marks and the tackling that you talk about.

Look he's not a spud and he does have ability but the desire doesn't appear to be there. If the desire exists he doesn't show it enough on the field.

Griffiths on the other hand, seems to have the desire and really does impact more defensively, but he drifts in and out of games and regularly disappears and unfortunately for someone that can kick a long way seems to have trouble when kicking nearer to goal. For some reason he seems to get closer to the man on the mark when inside 50 compared to when he kicks from outside 50.

I've said it before but if we could mould the 2 together then we have one of the best forwards in the game, unfortunately we have 2 that are just bit part players.

When Ivvy goes forward and plucks a few we don't need one. I'm not sure we can rely on it but if we could - no problem.

When Jack plays old fashioned full forward he's kinda doing part of he job. He always has a double team and about half the time goes for a big hanger. It's not a game plan but we do it a bit when the other talls are out. It's something we have to do sometimes.

Vickery plays the smaller tall. Even a #3 forward (Darling role, Le Cras). Finds holes close to goal. Griffiths is a tall. He has aerial presence. When he's not absent. Shame we couldna got him fit.

Hampson missed a month, got selected on the back of that, played a comparative blinder, backed it up for a half and has been out since. When forward he doesn't work the same areas as Griffiths or Ivvy. I think it's because he's too quick on the lead. He gets wider. Anyway he's theoretical. Even if we get him back how can we know if he'll stand up? If. He can get sound soon we have to give him first crack. Particularly against the rucks who've made sport of Maric.

Hey, maybe Ivvy really has woken up. Maybe he's not just asserting himself against the short useless ruckmen. Maybe he's found form. Great. He will be a help.

If Hamster doesn't come up we are vulnerable in the ruck. *smile* vulnerable. Vickery to help as best he can.

But we miss Griifiths. We had structure and now it's gone. The whole shape of it is not right. Maybe Lennon can cover us a little. There's still too much reliance on Jack.

We lack a power forward. Even the shadow of one. If a fit Richo had been playing we'd have beaten Hawthorn by ten goals on Friday night. We miss Jack in the midfield and around the ground. Our balance is not right.

We have to keep the heat on this Jesus character because we might need him this year. There's a rumour that he's developed an interest in football. It would be very good if that became an obsession. God give him strength.

Q: what does Vickery and Mars have in common?

A: no air.

Griffiths has air. Jack has air. Even Maric has air.

I don't understand why Vickery was played tonight.

He didn't need to relief ruck with Hampson in.

So we play him as what? A flanker? A wingman?

There's no logic to it.

McBean has to play next week. He must.

Carter said:

There's no logic to it.

Would make no difference. Game has been played up the other end of the ground all night.

Carter said:

There's no logic to it.

He won't, but he must.