Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

Anyone hear on Talking Tigers that the recruiters only gave 7 draftee profiles to the RFC media guys? If true, amazing that we managed to get 5 of the 7

BrisTiger24 said:
Anyone hear on Talking Tigers that the recruiters only gave 7 draftee profiles to the RFC media guys? If true, amazing that we managed to get 5 of the 7

Can only give us a more positive outlook on those we drafted.

BrisTiger24 said:
That or we've reached on a few 8-

BrisTiger24 said:

Yeah heard that. We must have been very confident of getting who we wanted. Wonder who the other 2 were.

Talking to my friend who works full time in recruiting for another Melbourne club he thinks we have done well. He thinks we nailed the Higgins, Balta and Naish picks. Higgins he thinks will be a gun, Balta has a bit of boom or bust about him but he is a freak athlete who could develop into the next Alex Rance. Naish he rated at about pick 20. Coleman-Jones he didn't rate as highly at the selection we used but thinks he could be ok. He doesn't rate Miller and will be suprised if he makes it.

Dev Tiger said:
Talking to my friend who works full time in recruiting for another Melbourne club he thinks we have done well. He thinks we nailed the Higgins, Balta and Naish picks. Higgins he thinks will be a gun, Balta has a bit of boom or bust about him but he is a freak athlete who could develop into the next Alex Rance. Naish he rated at about pick 20. Coleman-Jones he didn't rate as highly at the selection we used but thinks he could be ok. He doesn't rate Miller and will be suprised if he makes it.

Thanks for sharing his thoughts mate, makes for interesting reading.

No worries it is interesting hearing his thoughts on the juniors. For instance he thinks that Miers even though he kicked a lot of goals just doesn't have the speed to succeed at AFL level. Probably similar to Ben Lennon he feels his attributes just won't let him be a decent AFL player. He was like Bully in that he rated James Worpel much higher than he was selected.

Dev Tiger said:

Rather than not rate Miller he probably hasnt seen him at all , How do you not rate a kid that has barely had any training but has the ability that miller does both physically and determination. I think under a pro envoirment he could really be a big suprise

That is the thing about recruiting I suppose in that full time recruiters don't get it right all the time. There are plenty of Luke Parker's and Jack Graham's out there. Hopefully Miller can be another one.

I’d say Miller clearly has question marks, otherwise he would have gone much earlier. There’s no offense to be taken if another recruiter doesn’t think he’ll turn into a player. Few players taken in the 60s in the draft ever make it to 50 games. The odds are stacked against it. It’s up to Miller to want it enough and our coaching team to be the statistics.

Fingers crossed as he has lots of physical tools. I’d say he’s three years away at least before he’d debut though.

Frankly as with most draftees it's in the lap of the gods. At pick 63 it's a bit of speculation, as we all know even high draft picks can be a bust, EG: Cleve Hughes. Could have been a good player but!!!.
Miller may just develop way beyond what anybody would expect, or he may be a bust. Naturally I hope it's the former. At this stage he looks to have some interesting attributes. Time will tell if he can make the most of them. All I know is that he will have a far better chance now than would have been the case 4 or 5 years ago.
Todd Elton was given plenty of time but was unable to show too much, hopefully Ben Miller will prove to be a better prospect than Todd.