Overhaul 2016 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Overhaul 2016

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
We cannot possibly enter next season with the same blokes that have let us down 3 years in a row.
Massive changes
Move them out. Chaplin (Sydney) Astbury (Brisbane) Griffo (Melbourne) Conca (East Fremantle) Morris (Sturt) Gordon (Peru)

Newman, foley, petard, donut, biscuits, Knights, all ready gone. It's time for a massive overhaul.

In..priority Bennell.
In. Carlisle
In. Redden
In. Sidebottom
In. 3 kids from the draft

peru... :rofl :rofl

sidebottom??..is he even a possibility??

what about yarran?

and we got keep lennon

Hey Zip - I'm glad you and I are not part of the Richmond Football Department - we would fight like cat and dog.

zippadeee said:
We cannot possibly enter next season with the same blokes that have let us down 3 years in a row.
Massive changes
Move them out. Chaplin (Sydney) Astbury (Brisbane) Griffo (Melbourne) Conca (East Fremantle) Morris (Sturt) Gordon (Peru)

Newman, foley, petard, donut, biscuits, Knights, all ready gone. It's time for a massive overhaul.

In..priority Bennell.
In. Carlisle
In. Redden
In. Sidebottom
Peru! Obviously a big fan of Gordo! That seriously made me laugh! I wonder what the name of the local AFL team in Peru is? The Panthers?

I don't believe we need a complete overhaul, but I agree with zips in that I'd like to see a few changes. we have already delisted 6 players, but I'd like us to trade out a couple more middle tier players and bring in 3 or 4 to fill holes. risk v reward as the saying goes.

IMO, our number 1 target (assuming Treloar isn't gettable) should Harley Bennell. we still desperately need that injection of pace. I also have serious concerns over Yarran... he can play, but he's a bit of a squib that can go missing when the heat is on. he won't help us win finals IMO. wouldn't Lewis Jetta be a better pickup, especially with his pace?

IMO, our number 2 target should be a replacement ruckman for Ivan. I'd prefer Stefan Martin over Leuenberger, but we might have to wait 12 months for him.

IMO, our number 3 target should be a crumbing small forward. Not a lot of those around, so perhaps we should look to the draft.

What do you think we would get for Vickery right now. If McBean is really the messiah then Vickery is surplus and at top value right now.

Ian4 said:
I don't believe we need a complete overhaul, but I agree with zips in that I'd like to see a few changes. we have already delisted 6 players, but I'd like us to trade out a couple more middle tier players and bring in 3 or 4 to fill holes. risk v reward as the saying goes.

IMO, our number 1 target (assuming Treloar isn't gettable) should Harley Bennell. we still desperately need that injection of pace. I also have serious concerns over Yarran... he can play, but he's a bit of a squib that can go missing when the heat is on. he won't help us win finals IMO. wouldn't Lewis Jetta be a better pickup, especially with his pace?

IMO, our number 2 target should be a replacement ruckman for Ivan. I'd prefer Stefan Martin over Leuenberger, but we might have to wait 12 months for him.

IMO, our number 2 target should be a crumbing small forward. Not a lot of those around, so perhaps we should look to the draft.
What do you think our #2 target should be though?

zippadeee said:
Massive changes

In..priority Bennell.
In. Carlisle
In. Redden
In. Sidebottom
I like the list. I would be happy to get one of them, no chance to get all of them, unless we Carlton the hell out of the salary cap.

zippadeee said:
Massive changes

In..priority Bennell.
In. Carlisle
In. Redden
In. Sidebottom

How many first rounders have you got for us this year? We'd need at least 3 to even get started there.

My dream scenario would be.

1st this year + 1st next year + Griffiths for Bennell and Prestia - Not sure that would get it done but I can dream!!
Lennon plus our 2nd for Yarran and their 2nd - Again hoping that we get their 2nd rounder as part of this trade. The longer we go without a signature on lennons contract the more chance he is off.
New 2nd rounder for Redden or if we don't get the 2nd rounder, a 3rd plus Astbury

I'm not as sure as others on Leuenberger, to be honest I haven't seen a lot of him.

Rest of the picks for kids and rookie upgrades. This scenario would also give us the opportunity to release Thomas.

So from the elim final.

In Bennell, Prestia, Redden - maybe Leuenberger
Out Griffiths, Conca, Lambert (a bit stiff I know) - maybe Maric

Lambert a bit stiff but potentially could be Grigg or Hunt on the outer.

Would also love to bring Corey Ellis back in.

Bennell would have to be a bit of a risk given his past history. Do we really want to go down that risky path?

Agree with a lot you say.
Not sure about Astbury. Injuries have hampered him.
Club does need to make a call on him and get that call right.
The others, agree.
Clean out required.

graystar1 said:
Bennell would have to be a bit of a risk given his past history. Do we really want to go down that risky path?

No risk No glory
We managed to turn Dusty around. No reason why Chocco cant do his magic on Bennell

graystar1 said:

Potentially one of the best mids in the comp, obviously risk / reward so depends what we risk. If its 1 first rounder then easily worth the risk.

mrposhman said:
Potentially one of the best mids in the comp, obviously risk / reward so depends what we risk. If its 1 first rounder then easily worth the risk.

Didn't the club make a pledge a while back not to trade away our first pick?

asian tetley said:

Yeah but our first rounders are going up the order a bit and are less valuable.
If You can use pick 12 to jag a remorseful Bennell, grab it with both hands.

btoz_01 said:
No risk No glory
We managed to turn Dusty around. No reason why Chocco cant do his magic on Bennell

Do agree with the no risk no glory philosophy to an extent.
One of Dimmas mantras was recruiting people of "good character" so let's hope the club does their due diligence very very carefully.
Clearly in the major risk category one would think.

asian tetley said:

It all of sudden got put on the back burner, at 5.34pm Sunday the 13th of September.
Time for a Spring clean out.
Cannot possibly start next year with no MAJOR inclusions.
bennell & Hall for our 1st pick.
Hall will struggle to play in the middle when Ablett, swallow and O'Mearea get back

They did and have followed that mantra to the letter to be honest.

But, with this year's draft deemed to be pretty thin there seems to be a real opportunity to use our 1st first to pick up a quality player that we don't have to spend year's developing and is ready to go next season.

I was pretty happy that they utilised their draft picks in the ND and rookie drafts last year and I think they are probably pretty happy with the group they drafted and are prepared to trade picks this year on the back of that.

It's worked pretty well for the Hawks going down that path.

Would love to see RFC be bold during the trade period.
Happy to chase Bennell as I reckon the Club could get him back on track.
The elimination final proved once and for all that there are still major deficiencies in the list if the Tigers are to be contenders. Hopefully swinging a couple of deals with some decent players will be a start to resolving some of the gaps in the list.