only team not to improve | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

only team not to improve

look the clubs stuffed.

its easy to say we are going to play the kids, but playing that young dea when he hasnt a clue about the game yet doesnt look pretty. And not recruiting a ruckman when giving away pattison is poor business by the club.

giving away inside midfielder (D rodan) and recruuiting outside flankers (Mcmahon) just dumb when we are crying out for players who can actually win the ball.

i honestly cant watch our games and listen on the radio
I have heard so many people gettting the blame for the demise of our club: Miller/wallace/frawley/gieshan/walls/campbell/richo/cousins.

makes ya sick

i wonder why tambling and post have gone so far backwards this year when there supposedly so much emphasis put on development. shouldnt all players improve a little bit?

I saw some improvements, the running, tackling and putting bodies on the line. Sure not for four quarters, however, there are some positives signs. Improvement will come!

tigerinthetank2 said:
Whats of interest are the opposition clubs first years players.
Freos Fyfe and Barlow are real good.
Roughhead for the Dogs is well past Vickery
Firstly, Barlow is more mature than your 18 yo first year player, With regard to the others, look at the support players around them. Takes a lot of pressure off them, so they can get into the game a lot easier. Let's not let the opportyunity of a whinge get in the way of reality.....

when wallet came to the club in 2004 we got 5 picks in the top 20 and cut about a dozen players wasnt this a rebuild at the time? i understand that he failed to cut the following years

what makes it any diferent now with hardwick? he has cut the list and gone for kids in years one, what will happen the following years when the pressure mounts and we have seemed like we havent moved anywhere?

kitrino_tj said:
when wallet came to the club in 2004 we got 5 picks in the top 20 and cut about a dozen players wasnt this a rebuild at the time? i understand that he failed to cut the following years

what makes it any diferent now with hardwick? he has cut the list and gone for kids in years one, what will happen the following years when the pressure mounts and we have seemed like we havent moved anywhere?
It was the first stumbling step of a rebuild, pity three of the five picks flopped rather badly. Back it up with another couple of years of patchy draft selections poor player development and a non existant game plan and we're back to step one again.
The theory this time is that we have a board, ceo and footy management structure ready and willing to not just take the first step but to continue stepping and restructuring until we not only walk upright but can actually run with the pack.
We'll just have to wait and see if it works or unravells in a couple of years time again.

kitrino_tj said:

If supporters accepted the fact that we are not going to win much over the next couple of years then the pressure that has been felt over previous years should not be a problem.

Why are you surprised we have gone backwards?

We played 6 new players last night, lost a heap of very experienced players from last year and as a team, we have only just started with a new Coaching staff with a vastly different focus on how they want the team to play.

IMO we were always going to go backwards before we went forward.

Bunnerz said:
. And not recruiting a ruckman when giving away pattison is poor business by the club.
Pattison was a ruckman? The club has set out on an aggressive recruiting drive that revolves around skills. If there's any question about the kicking the red line goes through that player. The policies of Frawley and Wallace have set the club back at Year Zero and the new people just have to deal with that. If you look at the sides that have risen over recent years they all had to start somewhere and Richmond have never done that until now.

kitrino_tj said:
when wallet came to the club in 2004 we got 5 picks in the top 20 and cut about a dozen players  wasnt this a rebuild at the time?  i understand that he failed to cut the following years

what makes it any diferent now with hardwick?

Replace

18 Dea, Taylor, Martin
19 Astbury, Vickery
20 Cotchin, Rance, Nason
21 Farmer, Riewoldt, Edwards, Collins

with

32 Campbell, Graham
30 Stafford, Richardson
29 Kellaway, Gaspar
28 Chaffey
27 Johnson, Brown, Bowden
26 Tivendale, Hilton

and we win last night, or go very close. Whilst there are no guarantees, there's much more upside to last night's team. Very different situation to 2005.

zips said:
Firstly, Barlow is more mature than your 18 yo first year player, With regard to the others, look at the support players around them. Takes a lot of pressure off them, so they can get into the game a lot easier. Let's not let the opportyunity of a whinge get in the way of reality.....
i believe we also recruied some mature aged players. where are they. relton played and didt show that much back in the 2's. webberley, hasnt been seen. is hicks mature aged, he was plaing coburg 2's. then u have thompson and hislop our mature superstars. and why keep machmahon and polak when ur not gonna play them. 2 wasted spots. point is even when we recruit mature aged playes we still stuff it up.

about going bckwards,
players should not necesasrily go backwards, especially the likes of thursty, maguane, moore, polo, tambling, deledio, white. these are players who hae been around for quie a few years now, they should be improving, stepping up, leading the team and the younger players. ours have gone backwards. this should not happen just because we get a new coach. individuals should progress regardless and get better. to say we have a new coach now new structures etc is making excuses for individual players not developning and becoming our next leaders.

tigerinthetank2 said:
Whats of interest are the opposition clubs first years players.
Freos Fyfe and Barlow are real good.
Roughhead for the Dogs is well past Vickery

that would be jordan roughhead? drafted some year as vickery, same age as vickery.
he has played 1 game. got 9 possessions. and he is well past vickery?? what absolute rubbish.

Because we have always neglected the 2 fundamentals - R&D. Recruitment and Development. Our recruiters have been the least and the worst in the comp and development has been non existent. For too long we have wasted time and effort on list patch jobs, spin and delusion. Hopefully the new administration has seen reality and strips the list to the bare bones and invests heavily in recruitment and development. If it doesn't we are doomed.

Harry said:
Because we have always neglected the 2 fundamentals - R&D. Recruitment and Development. Our recruiters have been the least and the worst in the comp and development has been non existent. For too long we have wasted time and effort on list patch jobs, spin and delusion. Hopefully the new administration has seen reality and strips the list to the bare bones and invests heavily in recruitment and development. If it doesn't we are doomed.

For those of us old enough we know this. Seems some want instant results that just are not going to happen those of us older and understanding of such things know that what RFC has in front of it is a marathon not a sprint. If this is done right then we will see the results if the idiots are allowed to influence things again then we are not going to change anything.

keepa lids onit said:
i have some questions to ask as im at loss to understand our club.

why in all these years do we still find ourselves around the bottom of the ladder. the club never seems to improve and i dont know how it doesnt. everything we try fails. coaches fail, players fail, administrations fail.

melb have improved. freo have improved. port have improved. essendon made the 8 last year. north have improved.
yet richmond still lingers at the foot of the table. something is wrong with the whole club. you would think even by accident that the club would have improved. are we ever gonna consistently be a good side who makes the 8 year after year. are we ever gonna be pushing for a premieship? what is it with this club that whatever we do we always seem to end up in the same stinkin place??
:help :help :help

those currently with the hands on the wheel can only be held accountable for the present it is a pointless argument to ask them why we were' nt competitve in the 80s/90s...which brings me to where we are now...the sides you named above all experienced a rocky period in first year or so following the broom gong thru the place

hope that clears it up