only team not to improve | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

only team not to improve

keepa lids onit

Medal number 1, 2 & 3
May 13, 2005
i have some questions to ask as im at loss to understand our club.

why in all these years do we still find ourselves around the bottom of the ladder. the club never seems to improve and i dont know how it doesnt. everything we try fails. coaches fail, players fail, administrations fail.

melb have improved. freo have improved. port have improved. essendon made the 8 last year. north have improved.
yet richmond still lingers at the foot of the table. something is wrong with the whole club. you would think even by accident that the club would have improved. are we ever gonna consistently be a good side who makes the 8 year after year. are we ever gonna be pushing for a premieship? what is it with this club that whatever we do we always seem to end up in the same stinkin place??
:help :help :help

keepa lids onit said:

why in all these years do we still find ourselves around the bottom of the ladder. the club never seems to improve and i dont know how it doesnt. everything we try fails. coaches fail, players fail, administrations fail.

melb have improved. freo have improved. port have improved. essendon made the 8 last year. north have improved.
yet richmond still lingers at the foot of the table. something is wrong with the whole club. you would think even by accident that the club would have improved. are we ever gonna consistently be a good side who makes the 8 year after year. are we ever gonna be pushing for a premieship? what is it with this club that whatever we do we always seem to end up in the same stinkin place??

Recruit unskilled hacks. Richard Lounder, Banick, started it all..

keepa lids onit said:

You been asleep for a a couple of decades mate - just been kissed by a toad lately?

keepa lids onit said:

I agree, with a brand new coach and other staff, 14 players cleared off our list and a multitude of players who have not played over 50 games, im surprised we haven't won our first 5 games. We finally have the right people in place to take the club forward, its not going to happen in 1 pre season, yes its painful but there is no alternative

we're 5 games into a complete rebuild.
I'd understand if you wrote this halfway through last season but give the new guys a chance.
We just need a few of the kids to come on and we'll be ok.

I'm still scratching my head as to why we aren't sitting on top with 5 straight wins and are flag favourites.

Hardwick inherited an A grade list, the guy obviously can't coach.

I've heard a bit of a guy called Terry Wallace on SEN, he seems to know how to fix us up, says that our list is no good. Should we just pay out Hardwick and go for this Wallace guy.

The bottom line is that we need better players - a better overall list. Up until the 2009 draft, this hasn't ever been addressed since the draft first started back in the late 80's.

At least this year, we've brought in over a dozen new young players to the club. Only trouble is that they'll take a while to develop. Some will get there quicker than others (e.g. Martin is already there), but we only get one top 5 pick a year. From what I've seen, all the new players have something to suggest that they'll make AFL standard players. However all need massive body work before they can realistically help win games.

We now have a decent coach; decent CEO and gradually the off-field stuff is getting better. Recruiting is at least resourced - something that wasn't happening previously. As long as we make the right recruiting decisions (don't trade picks - just pick best available) and develop all our players to be the best they can be we'll be ok in the long run.

wayne said:
I'm still scratching my head as to why we aren't sitting on top with 5 straight wins and are flag favourites.

I've heard a bit of a guy called Terry Wallace on SEN, he seems to know how to fix us up, says that our list is no good. Should we just pay out Hardwick and go for this Wallace guy.

Don't tell me Terrence opened his elegant mouth again tonight??

Clinton said:
I agree, with a brand new coach and other staff, 14 players cleared off our list and a multitude of players who have not played over 50 games, im surprised we haven't won our first 5 games. We finally have the right people in place to take the club forward, its not going to happen in 1 pre season, yes its painful but there is no alternative

Well Said :clap :clap

wayne said:

Gary Ayers reckoned he could take our list to the grand final we should have gone for him! :hihi

its taken us 20 years to get the right people in place? every time we get a new coach its like yep finally we have the right man. and then wat happens same old same old.
we have been in rebuild after rebuild. weve been rebuilding for the last 6 years. and then some before that.

i can see that this time, it looks lke they have gone about it properly. cleared most of the dead wood, and starting mainly with kids to build the club.
but again, do we need 20 years to realise, and then do this.....

keepa lids onit said:
its taken us 20 years to get the right people in place? every time we get a new coach its like yep finally we have the right man. and then wat happens same old same old.
we have been in rebuild after rebuild. weve been rebuilding for the last 6 years. and then some before that.

i can see that this time, it looks lke they have gone about it properly. cleared most of the dead wood, and starting mainly with kids to build the club.

Here is the key point though, we didn't rebuild over those years. We traded and topped up in order to avoid bottoming out, which jagged us a couple of 9ths. We are only seriously rebuilding now.

keepa lids onit said:

We'd all like to re-wind the clock and undo the countless mistakes that have been made over the past 28 years. There's been so many where would you start (taking Fiora instead of Pavlich and Tambling instead of Franklin may be two). However we can't. All we can do is get things right from here on. The right people making the right, common sense decisions to dig us out of 28 years of complete football misery. As long as we stick to this plan, we'll be ok and all of us can hopefully enjoy the next 28 years, far better than the past 28 years.

keepa lids onit said:

Do you really need it explained? ::)

Clinton said:

You assume we have the right people in place, how would anyone know ?????
On face value, we havent.
Trying watching the kick ins for instance. ? Hopeless. :help

atricle by Lyon on Saturday "Humble Beginnings" pretty much sums up or predicament. our draftees are expected to come in and be match winners from day 1. no luxury of flying under the radar. unlike all other lowly clubs, we don't 1 single senior player who can take the lead and say follow me guys this is how it's done! Cousins may have fallen into this bracket last year but he drop in form (and enthusiasm) this year is alarming.

Whats of interest are the opposition clubs first years players.
Freos Fyfe and Barlow are real good.
Roughhead for the Dogs is well past Vickery

Regardless of all the spin etc of the past decade, this is the first time we've actually attempted a proper rebuild.

The last 10 years, all they've done is drafted a few youngsters and some top ups every year. There's never been a dedicated effort to rebuild from the bottom up until now.

Unfortunately we're suffering the consequences as a result. But I'm more confident of where we're headed than ever before. Just swallow the shitty losses now, and hopefully we have the right man that will stick to the rebuilding that will eventually make us consistently competitive again.

Are we the only team not to improve?
Adelaide, Hawthorn, Essendon supporters might not think their teams have improved much.

And only a month ago - not many Melbourne supporters were thinking they had improved - at least not the ones who were ringing the talk back and bagging Bailey.

Things can change quickly - and in six weeks we might be seeing signs of improvement too.