Oh Dear..... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Oh Dear.....

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
I'm one of the poor sods who had to watch that "performance" live. Not the way to encourage supporters to sign-up as members. From the second qtr onwards it was basically us bomb it high and long into our forward line - ball hits ground - no crumbers ??? - Melbourne switch paly and take it up the other side side and score. Melbourne had a system and we didn't.

Is it too hard to play accountable, percentage football! :mad: No system, poor disposal, poor decision making, no maning up, you name it. Apart from the last 10 mins of the first qtr we were soft and slow. I know they are in their heavy training period but they were burnt off far too easily. Being second to the ball and always playing from behind makes it look worse though. We were slow moving the ball from mark/free situations as well.

The match report is yet to come but just some thoughts to ponder:

Is it too hard to switch play! Let's always kick to a contest where we are outnumbered instead of moving the ball on quickly to a free teammate in the centre corridor.

Why do we when we get our hands first to the ball in a contested situation then immediately get tackled, we dispose of the ball like it's a handgrenade to anywhere instead of taking the tackle and re-doing the ball-up! Your not going to get pinged if you get tackled immediately. Play the percentages.

Why do we handball to teammates' feet causing turnovers!

Why do we pass to where we see our forwards when we look up instead of passing to where they're leading to! The ball was kicked over heads so many times.

Thank goodness it was only the Wizard Cup. The only thing we got out of the game was the class of Johnson, Rory getting through his game and pretty good performances by Chaffey, Stafford and possibly Gas' job on Neitz. And we can't blame Campo or Dunc for this one.

That report could easily have been written about most of our matches last year. I don't mind losing in the wizzfizz, but I like to see more positives than there were tonight.
At least they can't get swollen heads and an over inflated belief in themselves.

From the club site. Somebody else can copy the whole report if they want to. I don't like what it says.

MELBOURNE: 1.3.2 1.8.5 2.10.10 2.12.15 (105)
RICHMOND: 1.3.2 1.3.2 1.5.3 1.8.5 (62).

Nine-point goals: Melbourne: P Wheatley 2. Richmond: L Cameron.
Six-point goals: Melbourne: R Robertson 3 C Bruce 3 C Heffernan S Thompson G Moorcroft J White G Rigoni S Godfrey. Richmond: M Richardson 2 A Houlihan 2 B Ottens A Mills A Kellaway J Bowden.
Best: Melbourne: C Bruce S Thompson J White A Leoncelli R Robertson P Wheatley R Ferguson P Walsh G Rigoni. Richmond: D Gaspar L Cameron R Hilton.
Umpires: B Allen K Nicholls S Wenn.
Crowd: 16,990.
Injuries: Melbourne: B Green (shoulder). Richmond: A Krakouer (knee).
Reports: Nil.
At Telstra Dome.

Agree TG although that stupid free he gave away might cost him a game :(.

I was on the other side of the ground so I didn't see Krakouer go off. What is wrong with his knee?

It says in Rosy's post that there are no reports from the game so hopefully it stays that way. If we weren't serious about that game someone should have told Chaffey that, he worked his butt off and had no help.

This is only the wizard cup but the signs are very worrying. From what i saw we played exactly like we did last year.

The Forwards were impotent, the midfield was useless and the backline is deteriorating rapidly.

Frawley was once again outcoached and either doesn't have a decent game plan or cannot communicate the current one effectivley to the players.

And worst yet, our younster just don't look capable of stepping up. Petiffer, Krakouer, Newman, Fiora, Mills just aren't showing any signs of becoming consistant contributers. I'll be watching Pavlich very closely this season because Fiora just doesn't look like a first round pick.

Its only pre-season but gee, they played exactly like they did last year. Very worrying.

Said on telly he is reported. Nothing malicious, moreso rusty timing.
Might get off, might miss a game. Do praccy matches in Geraldtoncount?

I told you all it was a Knee! Why did they even play him???
Krak was fine at the start of the game then he laid a tackle on someone and the guy feel across his knee damaged a ligament they said on tv but it's only a small one 2-3 weeks they reckon.

I was on the other side of the ground so I didn't see Krakouer go off. What is wrong with his knee?

Was it his knee? i heard he had rollled an ankle but not entirely certain.

The other aspect of tonights game that was'nt pleasing were the some of the younger bregade,no 1 really stood out,in contrast the demons would be more then happy with a couple of unknowns putting the clamps on the likes of richo etc.

Hilton was good for his first game back, he is a good linkman through the middle when he is playing well, we missed him last year.

Gaspar actually did a good job on Neitz, hopefully he can have a better year, still turns it over with his kicking though, should try and limit his kicks to 30 meters tops.

Johnson was a highlight, this bloke is all class. Good skills, gets his own ball, will be our next captain.

Schulz looked alright to me, didnt have huge stats, but i was fairly impressed with his tackling, chasing and overall effort.

Pettifer got some late touches through the midfield, maybe he should be given a chance on a wing or through the middle where he can run, he is too small to play permanantly up forward.

Apparantly Rodan has sprained his ankle.

Pettifer was ok noticed that he was blocking a guy out of a marking contest so that richo would have a better opportunity which was something I've never seen him do before.

Coughlan was Mr. Fumbles tonight got plenty of the ball but then seemed to stuff it up a fair bit.

Chaffey was getting stuck into all the melbourne boys letting them know he was there.

Good game from Gas kept Neitz quiet.

On another note what the hell was with russell robertson's hair? He looked like he'd leant back into a bowl of bleach he had this big patch of blonde on the back of his head.

Bit sad wasn't it ....

Same old faces, making the same old errors ... Bidderscombe, King, Rogers, Houlihan.

Hilts was a positive, as was the form of Gaspar, Chaff, Staff and even Tivvers.

They were raving about Johnson on the telly, but to be honest, I thought he was quite ineffectual. He grabbed the ball a few times in the first half, but noticeably none of his touches resulted in sequences of play leading up to a goal. The jury's still out as far as I'm concerned ... I'll have Coughlan in the engine room before him.

Richo and Otto should have just gone to see a movie, or something ...

A lot of talk tonight seems based around our midfields crap delivery into the forward line, but there's another side to it.
Our talls just don't know how to present themselves properly.
If they led like Matty lloyd for eg the midfield couldn't miss them.......then again, ha. ;D

Ok. Everybody take a deep breath................

Now repeat after me "that was whizz fizz, that was whizz fizz, that was whizz fizz, that was whizz fizz etc etc etc ..."

Dont we all feel better now ??

Ghost, if johnston wasnt there we would of been thumped by alot more. If you think he is soft, what are the rest of them? His hardness at the ball looked unrichmond like.
Ottens is one big dud. He looked *smile* hopeless. What feeble excuse is he going to give this time after another wasted season? He will be the next Corey McKernan and the way he is headed I expect him to play several games at coburg. Soft in the head and soft on a football field.

Positives from tonight's game:

We still have Campbell, Holland, Zantuck, Dragicevic and Blumfield to come back.

I was hitting myself for staying home to watch the game tonight... :'(

I didn't notice any improvements over last year, no matter how minute, and to think that we finished third last makes me worry how we're going to do this year. But I keep telling myself that it's only the first game of the Wizard Cup.. I think we'll get a good gauge of how were going in the next coupla games.

The type of playing style that Richmond has adopted over the last 12 months is worryingly similar to the style we played during the Geishen days and I'm really hoping that the guys snap out of it quickly or else I'm afraid that's all folks for Spud.. :(

I was also suprised at seeing Stewie Loewe's big head popping out of a Richmond shirt tonight. I didn't even realise he was with us. What is his position at the club, because I hope he's doing more than instilling a losing attitude in our already pathetic culture down at Tigerland.

In conclusion, and IMHO, we need more running through the midfield for handballs and kicking either to a leading target up front or ahead of a player so he can run onto it. Bad skills aren't the reason why we lose, but more a case of bad football IQ in the majority of the players. We just don't have enough smart, quick thinking footballers, and unfortunately football smarts are something you just can't teach.

Dave

I was also suprised at seeing Stewie Loewe's big head popping out of a Richmond shirt tonight. I didn't even realise he was with us. What is his position at the club, because I hope he's doing more than instilling a losing attitude in our already pathetic culture down at Tigerland.

He's our new ruck coach.

In conclusion, and IMHO, we need more running through the midfield for handballs and kicking either to a leading target up front or ahead of a player so he can run onto it. Bad skills aren't the reason why we lose, but more a case of bad football IQ in the majority of the players. We just don't have enough smart, quick thinking footballers, and unfortunately football smarts are something you just can't teach.

Problem is it's hard to get a running game going and hit targets when everyone is flat-footed, falling/slipping over, negatively minded and reactive instead of being pro-active and doing the instinctive off-the-ball running to create options and run through lines as well as going hard at the ball. Whether that's lack of footy brains or just plain laziness is anyone's guess.