Night/Twilight Grand Final | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Night/Twilight Grand Final

Tiger Ghost said:
NRL has never been a hugely attended sport for whatever reason, what i do like though unlike the AFL the NRL dont fill there stadiums up with the likes of MCC, AFL and Corporate on GF day
If your a supporter of a team playing in there GF and you can afford it you can just about be certain you'll get a ticket.
Adds to the atmosphere 10 fold, throw in a night GF and your on a winner.
I've often lamented that if the AFL is insistent on making the GF a day dominated by corporates. ANZAC day the next season should be given back to the fans/members of last year's grand finalists as the first GF rematch the next season.

Essendon vs Collingwood is getting a bit stale, especially if they are a bit mismatched. More likely to get a ripping match 8/10 times if it's the grand finalists from the previous season. Be a tourism bonanza for Melbourne too if an interstate side plays. It's such an iconic game now that you'd still get 90+ thousand regardless of whom plays and could be made even more iconic doing it this way.

I have always been a NO on this issue, but for the first time in my life im thinking a YES.

how about start with a twilight game one year, then a night the following year and then the AFL can weigh it up after that?

I'd probably still watch it, but I tend to think I'd have even less interest than I do now unless it featured the Tigers.

Ian4 said:
you'd want the sunset to coincide with the start of the second half, meaning you'd want the first bounce to be roughly 80-90 mins prior to that. If the GF is on Saturday Sept 24 next year, it means sunset will be at 6:18pm... so the first bounce should be at 4:45pm or 5pm.

You are talking too much sense ian

I'm on the fence. On the ratings thing, I love footy and was at a GF party but wasn't that interested after quarter time, and I've hardly watched NRL all year but was glued to the screen. A lot of people were the same I reckon, got a lot of texts during and after AFL GF, 'gee whiz, boring or what?', 'zzzzzzzzz'. And after the NRL 'did you see that game?? 'what a game!' 'wow fariytale!' etc etc.

Twilight GF sounds good to me. Whack on the VFL GF, half time sprint and Superboot and maybe a bit of Meatloaf and it's a great day.

Number8 said:
What it is about our game that we always have to be changing stuff?
Maybe it's because the whole world n the people in it keep changing, not just the game. It would only be following the requirements of the current n next generation of fans.

Pretty much. They'd do it because the networks are confident that more people will watch it.

If more people get to watch it, isn't it a good thing ?

Baloo said:
Pretty much. They'd do it because the networks are confident that more people will watch it.

If more people get to watch it, isn't it a good thing ?

I guess. I prefer it how it is, but am resigned to others getting their way.

nitrotiger said:
Bugger that......don,t fix whats not broken....the grand final is always a sellout nowdays.....just saying.... ;D

but is it not broken? losing the TV ratings to the NRL GF for the second year in a row would suggest improvement is required. and don't even start me on the so-called pregame 'entertainment.'

Ian4 said:
but is it not broken? losing the TV ratings to the NRL GF for the second year in a row would suggest improvement is required. and don't even start me on the so-called pregame 'entertainment.'
Tend to agree.
I don't like the idea of anyone quoting those TV numbers and implying that RL is a more popular sport than our game.
I've swung to an acceptance that a twilight time-slot would be worth doing.

tigersnake said:
I'm on the fence. On the ratings thing, I love footy and was at a GF party but wasn't that interested after quarter time, and I've hardly watched NRL all year but was glued to the screen. A lot of people were the same I reckon, got a lot of texts during and after AFL GF, 'gee whiz, boring or what?', 'zzzzzzzzz'. And after the NRL 'did you see that game?? 'what a game!' 'wow fariytale!' etc etc.

Day or night GF would be hard to top a finish like that. One of the best games you'd ever see in any sport and I'm no League fan.

Ian4 said:

Better change the AFL granny to a Sunday night too.

Tigers of Old said:
Day or night GF would be hard to top a finish like that. One of the best games you'd ever see in any sport and I'm no League fan.
Just a freaky set of circumstances that coincided to make a fairytale finish out of what is often a dull grind.