Night/Twilight Grand Final | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Night/Twilight Grand Final

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I see in the media that the NRL is crowing about TV ratings for their GF being higher than the AFL for the second year in a row. Sure, it is no secret that their extra curricular entertainment is far superior to the AFL's. However I'd argue the ratings had more to do with the scheduled time - being prime time viewing - compared to AFL in the afternoon. I suppose it helped too, that the NRL GF was close and the AFL GF a bit of a blowout.

Is it inevitable that the AFL will look at a twilight/night grand final in the not too distant future? And what are people's thoughts? In favour? Not in favour? Not fussed either way?

One advantage I can think of, given that the GF is now held a week later, you're probably more likely to get a warmer weather. A night time game negates this somewhat.

Panthera Tigris said:

One advantage I can think of, given that the GF is now held a week later, you're probably more likely to get a warmer weather. A night time game negates this somewhat.

Is the later GF a done deal for the future? I didn't take much notice but assumed it was a one off due to some kind of other commitments. Prefer a Saturday arvo GF.

Have always been a traditionalist and supported a day GF. But, now I have a family, daytime is family out and about time. Hard to justify sitting down for 3 hours to watch the game especially when my team isn't playing. I didn't watch the GF for the second year in a row. Only two I've missed in 35 years.

On the other hand I watched most of the NRL GF because it was a more convenient time when my kids had gone to bed.

Changing the time of the AFL GF will be hard at first but after a few years, nobody would know any different and plenty more people would be able to watch it.

It is inevitable that it will become a twilight or night game. There is nothing better than the MCG lit by the glorious Melbourne spring sunshine though, it will be a sad day when it happens.

If $$$$, then it will happen.

Sad But true.

While the Tiges aren't in it though, I couldn't give a toss personally.

As a guy who now has a family and finds it bloody hard getting everything organised so he can settle in well before the opening bounce a twilight start gets leysy's vote - 100%

Bring it in Gil.

thread deserves a poll.

as someone who has been vocal on the benefits of Saturday twilight games, having the GF as a twilight game is a no brainer to me. first bounce in the late afternoon daylight, and the premiership celebrations enjoyed in the evening with fireworks, etc. many people who have to work that day are just about finished for the day, its still early enough to do afternoon BBQs if that's your GF day routine, and its even better for my kidneys on a day where I usually have to rock up to the pub by midday to get a good seat in front of the big screen!!

as for the argument about 'tradition,' we're only talking about starting the match 2 hours later. many footy traditions have gone the way of the dodo in recent years anyway.

Half time heroes under lights! :hihi

Safe to say this tradition may have to be modified to 'Pre-match heroes'. Probably far less hazardous. Although, doesn't have quite the same ring to it as 'half time heroes'.

Ian4 said:
thread deserves a poll.

as someone who has been vocal on the benefits of Saturday twilight games, having the GF as a twilight game is a no brainer to me. first bounce in the late afternoon daylight, and the premiership celebrations enjoyed in the evening with fireworks, etc. many people who have to work that day are just about finished for the day, its still early enough to do afternoon BBQs if that's your GF day routine, and its even better for my kidneys on a day where I usually have to rock up to the pub by midday to get a good seat in front of the big screen!!

as for the argument about 'tradition,' we're only talking about starting the match 2 hours later. many footy traditions have gone the way of the dodo in recent years anyway.
So you reckon around a 5:00-5:30pm first bounce Ian?

Night match. Get the bbq done and dusted and settle in with the Eskies and baby monitors for the match

Panthera Tigris said:
So you reckon around a 5:00-5:30pm first bounce Ian?

you'd want the sunset to coincide with the start of the second half, meaning you'd want the first bounce to be roughly 80-90 mins prior to that. If the GF is on Saturday Sept 24 next year, it means sunset will be at 6:18pm... so the first bounce should be at 4:45pm or 5pm.

Ian4 said:
you'd want the sunset to coincide with the start of the second half, meaning you'd want the first bounce to be roughly 80-90 mins prior to that. If the GF is on Saturday Sept 24 next year, it means sunset will be at 6:18pm... so the first bounce should be at 4:45pm or 5pm.
I like it. Fireworks and festivities at the end of the game, sounds great!

From a Richmond perspective (if the Tiges made the big one). Thinking about how nice it would be for the overflow fans/members whom can't get tickets. Afternoon festivities at Punt Rd Oval, sit down on the grass (or in the pavilion) on a beautiful spring early evening to watch the game on a big screen, can watch the fireworks after the game without moving from their possie. All done and dusted around 8:30pm for those with kids. The others can kick on afterwards. Having Punt Rd Oval right next to the MCG is such an asset that other clubs can't match. Next best thing to being at the game. You'd nearly hear the crowd at the game from there, pretty decent consolation GF experience.

You could have a fairly big party afterwards. Bring the stage out and have the international acts play after the match

NRL can crow all they like about the grand final.

Didn't see the AFL discounting tickets and offering incentives to get people through the turnstiles for their final series.

Mappa said:

Didn't see the AFL discounting tickets and offering incentives to get people through the turnstiles for their final series.
I lived in Sydney in the early 2000s for a few years. So by that point, Stadium Australia was in place (with a 110,000 seat capacity for the first year, down to 80,000 thereafter). And that was one thing that struck me. The public could get a ticket pretty much up to the last day if you wanted it. Even walk-ups depending on whom was playing. Went to Parramatta Vs Newcastle, which were two clubs with large followings, so a grand final which the NRL considered a higher demand GF. But still managed to get two seats together only 4 days before the game.

I still believe a day GF is the way to go. We always have a BBQ at mine or a mates. The kids all get together and enjoy themselves. I find that there would be more time to celebrate afterwards if we ever make a GF, without having to go on until 4am. I'm getting old!

Mappa said:

NRL has never been a hugely attended sport for whatever reason, what i do like though unlike the AFL the NRL dont fill there stadiums up with the likes of MCC, AFL and Corporate on GF day
If your a supporter of a team playing in there GF and you can afford it you can just about be certain you'll get a ticket.
Adds to the atmosphere 10 fold, throw in a night GF and your on a winner.