Next years locks, spots to fill. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Next years locks, spots to fill.

Because he's a foot soldier that should only play if unjuries to guns take place. He isn't taking us to the holy grail, but will help us get there. He's below Jake Aarts level as a small forward.
We are not going to have 23 guns in the team.
I reckon Mansells 2024 compares ok to Butlers 2017. But one played in a winning team and 1 didnt.
And he is a better footballer now than Aarts ever was, and is hopefully still on the improve.

Reactions: 2 users
We are not going to have 23 guns in the team.
I reckon Mansells 2024 compares ok to Butlers 2017. But one played in a winning team and 1 didnt.
And he is a better footballer now than Aarts ever was, and is hopefully still on the improve.
No mate he's temporary and no way near Butler 17. I still think he's not a small forward and a shut down small Backman.

Because he's a foot soldier that should only play if unjuries to guns take place. He isn't taking us to the holy grail, but will help us get there. He's below Jake Aarts level as a small forward.

Hyperbole at its finest. You can't have a team of guns, it doesn't work. Show me the last premiership team that didn't have foot soldiers. You just need the best foot soldiers. Mansell is a much better player than Aarts.

Mansell has the same goals per game average as the likes of Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Gresham, Dempsey, Butler, Ownes, Liam Ryan, Nick Watson. Has only just ticked over 50 games, if we can get him involved in play a bit more often, then he is a very solid small forward.

Reactions: 6 users
No mate he's temporary and no way near Butler 17. I still think he's not a small forward and a shut down small Backman.

Stats tell me you are not correct. Sure Butler has more goals and behinds, but was operating in a functioning forward line that won the Premiership. Mansell has been in a non-operating forward line that finished bottom, you'd certainly see a drop off in goals / behinds because of that issue.

Lets see how he goes when / if we can get a functioning tall forward line in alongside him.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Gibcus definitely one that should be on there. My bad. Hopper and Dion need to prove them selves over summer.

You need those 2 to prove themselves but have Tresize as a lock, despite only playing a handful of games. Certainly peoples preference of players being shown out on this BB at the moment. Hopper would most certainly be in our best 22 at the moment, the problem is, our midfield mix doesn't gel well. If we have some smoother movers / players with speed in there with Taranto and Hopper, we'd look a damn sight better, its just our midfield is so one paced at the moment, which is why some of us have wanted Rioli and Bolton in the midfield for much of the year.

Reactions: 1 user
Hyperbole at its finest. You can't have a team of guns, it doesn't work. Show me the last premiership team that didn't have foot soldiers. You just need the best foot soldiers. Mansell is a much better player than Aarts.

Mansell has the same goals per game average as the likes of Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Gresham, Dempsey, Butler, Ownes, Liam Ryan, Nick Watson. Has only just ticked over 50 games, if we can get him involved in play a bit more often, then he is a very solid small forward.
We all know this and you have told us the obvious, but he's not the type of foot soldier i would be carrying in the trenches beside me. Mansell has nothing on Aarts as Aarts even played some midfield time. I don't care about goals per game average, but more about danger around goals making opponents accountable, score involvements, creativity skills etc etc. Mansell doesn't demand an opponent and his opponent is often the one running out of the FL when Ryan or Kosi spill a MARK.
And why are you an aggressive and rude poster as we can do without you personal insults just because i don't agree with you.

Allowing for some rumoured departures, but no new players (only those left are delistings and trades)...and assuming good health.

1000023514.jpg1000023517.jpg

We all know this and you have told us the obvious, but he's not the type of foot soldier i would be carrying in the trenches beside me. Mansell has nothing on Aarts as Aarts even played some midfield time. I don't care about goals per game average, but more about danger around goals making opponents accountable, score involvements, creativity skills etc etc. Mansell doesn't demand an opponent and his opponent is often the one running out of the FL when Ryan or Kosi spill a MARK.
And why are you an aggressive and rude poster as we can do without you personal insults just because i don't agree with you.

What personal insult did I give you. I said it was hyperbole which is correct. Nothing personal about that. Grow up mate.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Stats tell me you are not correct. Sure Butler has more goals and behinds, but was operating in a functioning forward line that won the Premiership. Mansell has been in a non-operating forward line that finished bottom, you'd certainly see a drop off in goals / behinds because of that issue.

Lets see how he goes when / if we can get a functioning tall forward line in alongside him.
Butler was 21yo to Mansell 24 yo who at 21 couldn't break into our team. My point stands. Butler and Mansell are poles apart.

What personal insult did I give you. I said it was hyperbole which is correct. Nothing personal about that. Grow up mate.
IT's correct to you , but not for me. it's opinion and I've made my point clear and now you're telling me to grow up. lol what a hero you are.

Last edited:

Keeping in mind how poor our ball movement is going forward, that's a decent effort. Out structure is no where near as effective, so judging our forwards vs performance of those in a dynasty team is fraught with danger.

Butler 2017

2017 rated 10.16 in the AFL

Mansell 2024 rated 8.80 so you are wrong again

I didn't say his output was the same, Brodders compared him to Butler, but regardless, you realise that a small forwards AFL player rating would be better in a side with a functioning forward line compared to the bottom side with a dsyfunctional forward line right? Surely you can see that.

I didn't say his output was the same, Brodders compared him to Butler, but regardless, you realise that a small forwards AFL player rating would be better in a side with a functioning forward line compared to the bottom side with a dsyfunctional forward line right? Surely you can see that.
who cares as that's stating the obvious, but Dan is a proper small forward the other is a temporary solution. Mansell is only needed now until better quality comes in. He doesn't have enough tricks to be a dangerous small forward and he's caught out on the rebound too often.

Shame on you Poshy, taking the *smile* out of Tiger *smile* like that. Time you started posting nicely or I'll tell your mum to restrict your online access. :)) :)) :))

• Haha
I'm a fan of Clarke hopefully he has a good recovery and can play at least 15 games next year. Has class, a bit of pace and nous. Fingers crossed

who cares as that's stating the obvious, but Dan is a proper small forward the other is a temporary solution. Mansell is only needed now until better quality comes in. He doesn't have enough tricks to be a dangerous small forward and he's caught out on the rebound too often.

You don't care because you've already made your mind up about him.

It obviously matters what sort of forward line he's playing in, regardless of what you think.

• Dislike
Miller has played pretty much every game this year, so I would expect him to be starting 18 next season.
I know its just listening to radio , but twice in the last 2 or 3 games heard commentators say pretty much "oo Miller , thats soft , gotta do better than that "
coming from non Richmond people I think thats telling because we have banged on about that for years , he has incrementally improved and gained credit for that
then watching the first half of the VFL last week , I texted a mate saying Blights half a game today has beaten every VFL game Miller played across several seasons
Blight will get his chance in the coming preseason and I'm expecting him to bring better contested marking and a greater physical presence than Miller currently
Miller will see it happening and have his chance to respond , nothing like competition

Harvey Jagga O'Sullivan for one Forward Pocket and Steely Green in the other FP or maybe interchange

The #1 pick , who ever it is , will ooze class and push his way into the top side come round 1
and Steely has had a taste , He'll be bouncing off walls and ceilings itching to get out there